Tire's rubbing fender liner is it a k-member alignment issue? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Tire's rubbing fender liner is it a k-member alignment issue?

Hi guys i have a 99 cobra with a MMR Tubular K-member and A-arms with MM coil overs, C/C plates, steeda bumpsteer and so on. Now on to my problem, i know that the k-member is suppose to move the wheels forward 3/4'' but i'm getting some tire rubbing in places that concern me. I've had this problem for a long time, so for those of you that do remember that i resealed my oil pan last weekend and say well did you realign your k-member i'm saying right now that i didn't :shrug:.

The problem is that i don't even see how the k-member can be aligned from front to back, it can really only move a little bit sideways because the motormount holes don't give the member any room to move. I saw some of you guys posting this in other threads and i thought i would share, because maybe its just a problem we have to live with, with these aftermarket k-members.

My main concern is the drivers side as the tire is eating through the fender liner right where some harness is located. Pictures posted below. The passenger side isn't that big of a deal but it is still ugly to look at.

Also the car is not aligned right now, neither the k-member or the front end but i had this problem before when it was aligned also. Also i run 245/40/18 RA1's in the front when RR, do you guys think that maybe the higher height of those tires cause it to hit that spot?

Any insight is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Here's a picture of the car as it sit.

Driver side fender liner damage and harness that is exposed.

Passenger side tire rubbing the fender liner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The K can be aligned and finagled in small increments. It may not seem like a lot but you need to remember that small movement inboard can translate into a larger movement outboard.

Your tire size is only .1 larger in circumference than a stock sized tire, but i'm guessing that with your lowering height coupled with your spring rate selection, you're getting some excessive body roll.

My own personal opinion would be to spend a day or however long to re-square your K. While I think your car has a great stance, the spring rate just may not be up to handling that low of a height and then letting your liners take the abuse.

When I first put my K-on I was like, "Oh, sweet! It bolted right up!" After I took some measurements my drivers side was sticking out about 1/2" more than the pass. side. About 30 minutes worth of tedious aligning and I couldn't have got it better if MM their self did it.

As for that main harness...i've fixed mine/relocated due to this very reason.

For reference, with a 375 rate c/o spring up front, i'm no longer massacring my fender liners like I did with my old weaker springs. I'm even running a lower ride height.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
The problem is that i'm pretty sure i'm running 375 rate in the front. Some people on another board have told me to raise the car or increase the spring rate in the front. This car only gets driven max 4k miles a year but still 95% of that is on the streets so MM told me 375 is the way to go.

How can i go about aligning the k-member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 05:07 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
That's a very common problem with that model and IIRC has nothing to do with K-member alignment.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM

When you say, "that model", do you mean 99> cars?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
FWIW, on my 01 cobra I have serious D/S fender liner wear with a stock K and H&R SS springs, which IMHO puts the car too low in the front. It has already worn through the liner and exposed the harness which I've tried to move from harms way. I'm running stock 245/45/17 rubber too.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 PM
kc

Trader Feedback: (6)
I once had this issue as well.

It turned out that if your replacement springs/struts allow any more jounce travel than the stock setup, you're into the splash shield and harness.

On the factory front struts, the jounce bumper was an integral part of the black plastic dust shield that sits on top of the strut. When I put aftermarket stuff in, these didn't fit right anymore. Not realizing their significance... I left them off. Doh.

Stiffer springs will reduce the number of times that contact occurs, but you need to make sure your jounce bumpers are limiting travel to what the factory spec was.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Perhaps you can heat the fender liner with a heat gun and stretch the offending area just a tad to gain clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement