Anyone had this problem installing MM Panhard? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (66)
Anyone had this problem installing MM Panhard?

So I'm installing the MM panhard that I bought last week. I'm at the point where the chassis brace needs to be held up against the frame rails and measurements taken from the axle tube to the panhard mount (D3 per MM instructions).

I have the car supported on six stands, per the instructions and the control arms parallel. I checked these by measuring the distance from each pivot bolt to the floor.

I checked D2,from the axle tube to the MM axle mount inner mounting flange and obtained a reading of 4 1/2". I used a plumb bob over the axle tube just like MM's instructs.

Next, I placed the chassis mount flat against both rails and all the way forward until the flange contacted the factory bumpstop bracket. I took the D3 reading which is 5 1/4". MM spec is plus 0-1/4" from D2. The only way for me to get the correct distance is to rock the brace forward, creating a large gap between the flange and the frame towards the rear. I can't move it to the front of the car any farther because of the bumpstop bracket.

I called MM, they said the measurement isn't really critical. However, I am not satisfied with it being so far off from the recommended distance. The other thing that is strange is that the instructions say the axle will need to be temporarily lowered from when the control arms were set parallel, in order to install the chassis brace. I didnt have to lower it all, the brace fits in there with plenty of clearance.

If anyone has had a similar circumstance and maybe has a solution, I would like to know. I want to get this thing finished, but I want to do it the right way.

90' LX, Dart 347/YSi 843 rwhp
Now with a 9.5:1 Coyote Aluminator and t56 Magnum looking for a little boost....

13' Race Red Boss 302 #609, AMR wheels/ Eibach springs, Airaid CF CAI, Accufab TB, Flowmaster Super10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Did you make sure your brake hard line didn't get in the way of your plumb bob string when you measured over the axle?

Here's a long PHB install thread that might help.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=969577

post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Did you make sure your brake hard line didn't get in the way of your plumb bob string when you measured over the axle?

Here's a long PHB install thread that might help.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=969577
Yes, I did make sure the string wasn't on the brake line. I even had to remove the driver side cobra anti moan brace just to get the string to sit flat on the axle tube.

Thanks for the link. I actually have had that thread saved to my favorites for a month or so. I studied it and the MM istructuons thoroughly before even getting the PHB. I just can't seem to find any resources by searching the corral , google etc..which pertain to my particular situation.

Now with a 9.5:1 Coyote Aluminator and t56 Magnum looking for a little boost....

13' Race Red Boss 302 #609, AMR wheels/ Eibach springs, Airaid CF CAI, Accufab TB, Flowmaster Super10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I had to trim the bumpstop bracket pretty good on one side to get the correct measurement.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM

i am @ 4.250 on the drivers side, and 4.75 on the passenger with my chassis mount all the way to the bump stops, and flat on the frame rails.
i have been wondering if the half inch is too much.... yours is a bit more than that.

what ill effects could we see with being over the quarter inch max difference?

as for having to lower the axle assy, that is just for more room to wiggle, if you can do it with the axle still up, go for it. i found it made it easier to have something holding the chassis mount up there working by myself....was a pita to get the thing clamped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Allen
BTW, the space shuttle never went to the moon dumb azz.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmatt View Post
i am @ 4.250 on the drivers side, and 4.75 on the passenger with my chassis mount all the way to the bump stops, and flat on the frame rails.
i have been wondering if the half inch is too much.... yours is a bit more than that.

as for having to lower the axle assy, that is just for more room to wiggle, if you can do it with the axle still up, go for it. i found it made it easier to have something holding the chassis mount up there working by myself....was a pita to get the thing clamped up.
I ended up getting it within 1/2", 4.5" driver's and 5.0" passenger. I just left it at that. MM said it was okay at 3/4", so I figure 1/2" is fine.

Once that was done it was smooth sailing. Had it finished up in no time. The drilling really wasn't a big deal.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmatt View Post

From a strength aspect, it just means that the load path through the bar and heim joints from the top view will have a small degree of shear instead of being perfectly linear. I'm not a MechE, but I would think that as long as the lateral misalignment between the heim joints doesn't place the load path outside the heim's thread engagement with the bar (see dotted lines), it won't be an issue.

From a gemoetry aspect, it also means the travel arc of the bar will be a tad bit shorter in roll. At 3/4", the change in arc is so small that its hardly worth mentioning.

Like I said, I'm no MechE and I'm probably horribly mis-using terms here but I think the quick and dirty MS Paint sketch should illustrate what I'm getting at.
For the record, my PHB mounts have a 5/8" offset and it's been that way for about 4 years with no ill effects to speak of.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM

excellent. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Allen
BTW, the space shuttle never went to the moon dumb azz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement