Cobra R power steering coolers? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Cobra R power steering coolers?

I thought this was an interesting find on ebay:

Click Here

"Original left over units from the cobra R program" - Interesting.

Disclaimer: I am not the seller. Just thought I would pass this along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (32)
Jim at PPI sell them for less and he is a Corral sponsor not to mention a great guy to do business with.

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/suspension.htm

2003 Corvette Z06
post #3 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
+1 for PPI. Outstanding company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
That looks like a very small cooler. And the price is a little inflated at $100.

I use this and it has worked great. At $28, it be hard to beat.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #5 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1HAHA View Post
That looks like a very small cooler. And the price is a little inflated at $100.

I use this and it has worked great. At $28, it be hard to beat.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
You get what you pay for. Like we said, PPI's got them for $65. I'd trust what's on the '95 R over Derale.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magic Man View Post
You get what you pay for. Like we said, PPI's got them for $65. I'd trust what's on the '95 R over Derale.
Not here to debate over which is a better product. I can only give my experience.

My experience is that the Derale has served me well over the years and has done what I expected it to do at half the price. I have no experience with the R cooler and I'm sure you have no experience with the Derale. Therefor, you give your experience on the R cooler and I'll give mine on the Derale. The readers can decide what they want to do.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq

Last edited by LT1HAHA; 03-10-2009 at 05:45 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGT View Post
Jim at PPI sell them for less and he is a Corral sponsor not to mention a great guy to do business with.

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/suspension.htm
Looking at that site gives me a head ache.. thats horrible design..
That alone would keep me form purchasing anything from them

1994 Mustang GT
FRPP 70mm TB.. Typhoon intake .. GT40 Heads.. Paxton SN2000 @ 6lbs.. 42# FRPP injectors.. BBK Shorty Headers.. O/R H-Pipe.. No Mufflers.. Pro 5.0 Shifter.. AEM Plug-N-Play Standalone.. AEM EPM.. LS1 coils.. GM 3bar MAP
post #8 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
I agree it is a horrible website. Use CTRL F to find stuff.

2003 Corvette Z06
post #9 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1HAHA View Post
Therefor, you give your experience on the R cooler and I'll give mine on the Derale. The readers can decide what they want to do.
I've had both. Want MY opinion?

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #10 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 AM

I'd be interested in hearing from someone that has used both.

How important is a PS cooler on cars that are short of being full on race cars?

I'm looking at running a couple track days a year, but there is only 15 minutes of on track per hour w/ the run group configuration. I wouldn't think it would be an issue in my case w/ 45 minutes of cool down every hour. Right now my focus is on fluid changes, upgrading pads (Hawk HP+) and brake ducting.

'92 5.0LX Hatch - Bimini? Blue
'89 VW GLi 16v - Helios Blue
'73 Porsche 914 - Crazy shade of 70's green
post #11 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 AM

They are P/S coolers, come on. They have little to no PSI during use. They have a cooling tube and fins and usually put in the air flow. I have been using a trans cooler from a 86 Taurus for the last 10 years with out any issues. More important than anything more than an OE stlye is the type of fluid. A synthetic fluid will not foam as much (if at all) and keep the system working better.

90LX,Griggs,Cobra Brakes,ABS,331
86 SVO
95 Lightning
post #12 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 AM

I have had both the Cobra R Cooler and a much larger 6-pass, 12"X10" Hayden cooler and found that the Cobra R cooler was insufficient for a C-Prepared autocross car, but much better than the stock cooler. For autocross, the larger Hayden was the way to go but for a street car or a Drag Car the Cobra should be more than sufficient.

John
Type A Racing
post #13 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
I've had both. Want MY opinion?
This isn't an argument or a debate.

YES I want your opine. Thats what a thread like this is for. It would be nice to hear from somebody who has experience with both products.

I'm sure the R cooler is a nice quality peice. I would be interested in the difference in actual cooling capacity between the two.

The only difference that I can visually see in the pics is that the R cooler looks to be about 1/3 the size of the Derale.?.

486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #14 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (36)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
Try us, you'll like us!!!

Charter Corral Sponsor since 1995...

Be sure to visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
often as new parts are added daily!!! International orders are always welcome!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow PPI on
!!!

post #15 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM

With all due respect to Jim at PPI (whom I've known longer than most of you have owned Mustangs,) I'd pass on the Cobra R cooler for the larger Derale cooler. Both get the job done, but the larger Derale is going to work better for extreme applications, IF you really need it.

Do you need it? Depends. How hard are you working the power steering system? Oddly enough, Autocross tends to work the steering MUCH harder than road racing, and you are more likely to boil the power steering fluid on a hot day at the autox than you are at an OT event or race. I don't see a lot of my AI or AIX competitors having steering issues due to boiled fluid and keeping it cool isn't much of an issue. Many of us (myself included, these days,) find the factory cooler works just fine.

(Full disclosure -- I used to have boiling issues at TWS years ago. I tried a Cobra R cooler from PPI, which worked much better than the factory cooler, but I still would boil the fluid on very hot days. I switched to the Derale cooler which did the job well. When I retired my car from the street, I removed the Derale cooler to make room for an external oil cooler that never got installed. I figured I'd get around to reinstalling the Derale, but it never happened. At the same time I switched to synthetic ATF fluid in the power steering system and I've never boiled it -- ever.)

If you're not having PS fluid cooling issues and want a little insurance, or are having mild issues, the Cobra R cooler may be for you. It's small, well-made, and easy to mount. If you're building a Cobra R clone, it's a must-have.

If you're having persistant cooling issues, or are a hard-core autocrosser in a hot climate, the Derale cooler would be a better choice. However, it is bigger, meaning it'll be harder to find a suitable mounting location. Whatever you do, do NOT follow Derale's advice and attach it to the radiator core or A/C condenser! Those things are not designed as mounts for other equipment and are rather fragile (the same goes for mounting aftermarket fans.) Do what I did and fabricate a bracket from aluminum angle stock from Home Depot. It takes about 20 minutes.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas

Last edited by gt40mkII; 03-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGT View Post
Use CTRL F to find stuff.
If I can find it, any of you can. Using the CTRL function I found 3 different pumps. If you can't find what you're looking for, call or email during normal business hours.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (36)
As an FYI: We do not sell the Cobra "R" power steering kit as a retro-fit kit for Mustangs. It is purely sold as a replacement for the factory Masco-Tech installed cooler on 1993 and 1995 Cobra "R" models that take a rock or are damaged in a crash. We no longer sell the attachment brackets or hosing (some might find) necessary for a factory-appearing installation. With this being said, as of 1030 local this morning, we have derived the sales of 6 "R" power steering coolers from this thread alone.

Charter Corral Sponsor since 1995...

Be sure to visit the
often as new parts are added daily!!! International orders are always welcome!!!

Follow PPI on
!!!

Last edited by mustangparts; 03-11-2009 at 11:00 AM.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
I figured I'd get around to reinstalling the Derale, but it never happened. At the same time I switched to synthetic ATF fluid in the power steering system and I've never boiled it -- ever.)
I bet the switch to synthetic fluid was 90% of the fix.

90LX,Griggs,Cobra Brakes,ABS,331
86 SVO
95 Lightning
post #19 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lx86svo View Post
I bet the switch to synthetic fluid was 90% of the fix.
It was -- absolutely.

The last time my fluid boiled (or at least the last time the bubble made it to something important, like the rack,) was *just* before turn-in for T2 at TWS. Big fun there!

That was years ago. My PS system is 100% stock, with the exception of the synthetic ATF and a BIG pulley. No boiling issues at all.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #20 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Some good info and ideas. Thanks. Looks like I'll switch to synthetic fluid for now and monitor the PS fluid condition.

'92 5.0LX Hatch - Bimini? Blue
'89 VW GLi 16v - Helios Blue
'73 Porsche 914 - Crazy shade of 70's green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement