anyone ever go to a racing school? such as Bondurant - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
loudnslow98gt's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 763
anyone ever go to a racing school? such as Bondurant

anyone ever go, or know someone that went to Bob Bondurant racing school? i've been thinking about going and taking the course that when u finish, u can go the the SCCA, or NASA and apply for a competition liscence and get it. i want an accredited school so i can get into racing when iget out. im kinda running out of time to do something like this and this summer would probably be the best time for me. and the real sweet deal is my mom said she would foot half the bill. i told her its around 5 grand and she still said thats fine. so im really looking into racing schools, so if anyone can give me some input id appreciate it.


AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
loudnslow98gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
I've been to several of them, including the Bondurant 4-day course that qualifies you for an SCCA license. And they're all cutting deals right now thanks to the economy. The education is fantastic, but make no mistake, a 4-day school is going to cost around $3500, and you're on your own for travel, food and lodging. The part that qualifies you for your race license is near the end of the profgram you run a race situation where you practice starts and cautions.

Skip Barber runs a program at Lime Rock closer to you and can probably give you similar qualification. What I prefer about Bondurant is they use outrigger skid cars early in the program to really advance your car-control learning curve before putting you on track at high speeds.

Having said all this, you say you want to get into "racing", which is why I'm talking about licensing. But the qualification doesn't last forever so you'd have to have a plan to have a car to run with said license before too long.

MFE is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered User
 
tigerdrvr's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Alamo, CA
Posts: 488
Depending on where you are in your personal learning curve, doing a licensing school with your SCCA region is around $600-700. You will get all of the basics, plus on course instruction, and the opportunity to run practice races. Of course, you do have to provide a race car that will pass tech!
tigerdrvr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
loudnslow98gt's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 763
thats my problem. my car is ok for doing PDA's but it seems like to do a racing school u need a track prepped car along with all the safety stuff, like a fire suit, gloves, shoes. i'd prefer to go somewhere and beat up somebody elses cars. then take about a year, give or take a little bit, and build a car to race in a class. doesn't necessarily have to be a mustang. whats a pretty popular class that usually has good turn out?

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
loudnslow98gt is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Spec Miata
MFE is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered User
 
BULLITT1992's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (12)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Posts: 3,363
If you can safely fit in a Miata, that would be something to consider. There is a lot of support and Miata stuff is relatively inexpensive. I don't know how big you are, but I'm 6'3" ~240 dressed and safely racing a Miata would be difficult.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
BULLITT1992 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
DV19's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 636
Both the Bondurant AND the Skip Barber schools have very good instructors (just ask me, I'm one of them.....) AND they both have their own theories as to why we teach, what we teach. These "professional" schools (i.e.: instructors who are not volunteers) have many staff members who are currently still competing in the pro-racing ranks or who are retired former champions. Which for the most part means you will be assured of getting lessons from guys that really do know what they're talking about.

I recommend these schools to anyone that wants to find out "if racing really is for them". Be aware though, you probably won't be allowed to "beat on anyone's car" (especially if I'm your instructor) but you will be taught how to drive them properly.

No matter which school you attend, go with an open mind, a willingness to accept new idea's and check your ego at the door because YOU WILL get a ton of great help and advise if you have even a little bit of natural ability and a good attitude...

Good luck......

Team Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com
DV19 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
loudnslow98gt's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Spec Miata
that class just doesn't do it for me for some reason. i went on the SCCA website and spent literally about 2 hours going over what classes i might like to run in and the one i think i like the most is the STO class with a 450 hp limit and with a 4.6, my minimum weight can be a little over 2500 lbs. i can imagine this being a little pricey to run in. The other class i like is NASA's american iron. cause of the weight/power ratio, that class is probably cheaper to run in. as soon as i get my liscence, i can do some safety mods to my car like a cage, and run in NASA's Performance Touring class and as i mod my car, ill keep getting bumped up in class till it will be easy to make the jump to AI or STO. any input?

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
loudnslow98gt is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
loudnslow98gt's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV19 View Post
Both the Bondurant AND the Skip Barber schools have very good instructors (just ask me, I'm one of them.....) AND they both have their own theories as to why we teach, what we teach. These "professional" schools (i.e.: instructors who are not volunteers) have many staff members who are currently still competing in the pro-racing ranks or who are retired former champions. Which for the most part means you will be assured of getting lessons from guys that really do know what they're talking about.

I recommend these schools to anyone that wants to find out "if racing really is for them". Be aware though, you probably won't be allowed to "beat on anyone's car" (especially if I'm your instructor) but you will be taught how to drive them properly.

No matter which school you attend, go with an open mind, a willingness to accept new idea's and check your ego at the door because YOU WILL get a ton of great help and advise if you have even a little bit of natural ability and a good attitude...

Good luck......
thanks for the input. i used the term "beat up" loosely, meaning i dont have to worry about the pads and rotors, or bleeding the brakes, tires, anything like that that is a wear item.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
loudnslow98gt is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt View Post
that class just doesn't do it for me for some reason. i went on the SCCA website and spent literally about 2 hours going over what classes i might like to run in and the one i think i like the most is the STO class with a 450 hp limit and with a 4.6, my minimum weight can be a little over 2500 lbs. i can imagine this being a little pricey to run in. The other class i like is NASA's american iron. cause of the weight/power ratio, that class is probably cheaper to run in. as soon as i get my liscence, i can do some safety mods to my car like a cage, and run in NASA's Performance Touring class and as i mod my car, ill keep getting bumped up in class till it will be easy to make the jump to AI or STO. any input?
You said you were looking for a "pretty popular class that usually has good turnout", and doesn't have to be a Mustang. Spec Miata has more turnout than any other class, and it appears to cost about 1/5 of what it costs to field a remotely competitive AI car.

MFE is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: At the apex, blocking your pass.
Posts: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
You said you were looking for a "pretty popular class that usually has good turnout", and doesn't have to be a Mustang. Spec Miata has more turnout than any other class, and it appears to cost about 1/5 of what it costs to field a remotely competitive AI car.
Plus, its some if the tightest, most competitive amateur racing going around.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
gt40mkII is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Registered User
 
Jan in Omaha's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ralston, NE Chasin' cones and droppin' lap times
Posts: 129
If you need a blue oval on your race car.... Spec Racer Ford

Jan G.
97 Mustang GT, 92 Civic Si, 93 Escort LX (the "Escargot"), 01 Ram 1500 4x4
2007 SCCA RallyX RPF National Champion! 95 Neon ACR (totalled 2/5/08)
Jan in Omaha is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Registered User
 
WhiteSSP's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT1992 View Post
If you can safely fit in a Miata, that would be something to consider. There is a lot of support and Miata stuff is relatively inexpensive. I don't know how big you are, but I'm 6'3" ~240 dressed and safely racing a Miata would be difficult.
Lol, you'll EASILY fit into a miata.

I'm 6'2 275lb, and I daily drive a miata with a stock seat and stock steering wheel. If I put a 330mm steering wheel (stock is 365mm) and an ultrashield in it mounted to the floor, i'll gain so much more room its not even funny. I daily drove it at 305lbs earlier this year before I started dieting and still fit ok in it. A little snug on my thigh and the wheel, but thats the only place where it was tight really.
WhiteSSP is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Registered User
 
WhiteSSP's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 818
If you're looking to race with NASA, you can always try one of the performance touring (PT) classes. Usually they have quite a few people coming out, and their classing system is pretty basic and easy to understand (mods get certain points, the number of points you have + your car determines your car class).
WhiteSSP is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered User
 
BULLITT1992's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (12)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSSP View Post
Lol, you'll EASILY fit into a miata.

I'm 6'2 275lb, and I daily drive a miata with a stock seat and stock steering wheel. If I put a 330mm steering wheel (stock is 365mm) and an ultrashield in it mounted to the floor, i'll gain so much more room its not even funny. I daily drove it at 305lbs earlier this year before I started dieting and still fit ok in it. A little snug on my thigh and the wheel, but thats the only place where it was tight really.
That is weird. I've actually tried to test fit in a few Miatas lately and I've had a difficult time fitting. I can get in the car, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be making aggressive moves in the car, not to mention that my head with helmet would stick over the roofline and roll bar. I'm not sure what an ultrasheild is though. One of the bigger guys that autocrosses a Miata let me squeeze into his car. He's a little bigger waist wise but slightly shorter. It was tough, I don't think I could have drove it. Plus the steering wheel hits the top of my thighs. That was with a racing wheel.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
BULLITT1992 is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT1992 View Post
That is weird. I've actually tried to test fit in a few Miatas lately and I've had a difficult time fitting. I can get in the car, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be making aggressive moves in the car, not to mention that my head with helmet would stick over the roofline and roll bar. I'm not sure what an ultrasheild is though. One of the bigger guys that autocrosses a Miata let me squeeze into his car. He's a little bigger waist wise but slightly shorter. It was tough, I don't think I could have drove it. Plus the steering wheel hits the top of my thighs. That was with a racing wheel.
I'm the same size as you, and while a street-going miata is a tight squeeze, you have to remember the race-prepped ones have lower seats.
MFE is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
WhiteSSP's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 818
I will say one of the things I did was take the door handles off the inside panels of the car. It gives you MUCH more room.

And like MFE said, with a race seat mounted to the floor, you'll be alot lower then the stock seat.
WhiteSSP is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Skip Barber is doing $800 off a 3-day school if you register by 3/13. Don't know if it qualifies you for license or not http://www.skipbarber.com/racing_sch...mx5racing.aspx
MFE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome