New guy interested in Auto X - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
New guy interested in Auto X

Hi everyone, nice forum you have going here. I have been lurking here for a few weeks doing some reading and searching and have a few questions:
First a little background. I am/was a drag racer and come from the LS1 camp ( I had a 2001 SS Camaro that runs mid 11's). Due to some changes in my family situation I will not be hitting the drag strip much (kids, house, wife etc). So I am getting rid of my SS for a 93 Notch. The car currently has a bunch of suspension stuff done to it (MM PHB, Tokico shocks, STB's front and back, stiffer springs but I do not know the rate, more I am sure but don't really know off the top of my head). My plan is to put on the MM TQ arm set up, from what I am seeing it seems to be a really good way to go. The car also has a mild cam, Vortec V2 SQ blower, Anderson power pipe and other bolt ons, also a MM bolt in 6 point roll bar (which I will be removing). My goal is to have a really fun street car, the SS was fun but the drag set up was getting old, and to maybe do an auto x here and there. I know the mods to car will bump it up in class quite a bit and I know most regional clubs are pretty forgiving when it comes to newbs.
Can someone tell me what class I would be in? Also if anyone is in the Chicago area, what are some clubs in the area and where do they race? Right now I know the car is prepped way beyond my driving and that is where the biggest improvement will be, but I am willing to learn. Like I said my number one goal is to have a fun street car that handles well, I want to be able to put the kids in it once in a while and just take them for a cruise, but I also want to be able to do a few auto cross events in the summer. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
You"ll be in street modified.
SCCA.com has all the info you need to get started.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Yea I went there and looked but it was kinda hard to tell. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You can have fun with any car at an autox. Like you said, it is all about learning and enjoying a safe way to drive at the limit. If it's like my region, you'll see a mix of hard-core experts with fully preped cars and people having lots of fun in cars that are definitely not the best autox weapons

As you increase your skill, you may find that tires are your best value for money upgrade, so bear that in mind before investing in too many more car changes. You can easily carve 5-6 seconds off your time with driver skill, 1-2 secs with sticky tires, and a few tenths with other stuff.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I see your in Lockport IL.

You plan on running over at Rt 66?

Charlie R
1992 GT | AutoX / Weekend Cruiser
Killing them with 10 inches of body roll
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

thats where i am thinking to run. do you race there?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
My brother raced his 350Z there all last year and had a blast, and got me interested in this stuff too with all his talking and stories.

So now I'm un-drag racing (Was runnng big & littles) my car, and fixing things right now and should hopefully be out there in May or June.

I'm actually a couple towns over from you - Manhattan.

Charlie R
1992 GT | AutoX / Weekend Cruiser
Killing them with 10 inches of body roll
post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Cool man. I un-drag raced my self by getting rid of the drag car LOL. It was a fun car ( my SS) and it ran good times and still was able to cruise the streets, but I just want to go a new direction. The thing that really gets me is how small this notch really is. I have all kinds of room in my garage now. Looking forward to good weather so I can get this thing out and really have fun with it. Let me know when you get ready to head out to RT 66 with yours. I am a total newb when it comes to auto x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement