yes i searched, just want oppinions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
yes i searched, just want oppinions

here's a run down of what i'm about to do.

85 K member
95 A arms
95 spindles
pbr calipers
10.5" rotors (right?)
95 struts

I'm going to autoX this car so camber is good. i would go for a tubular K but funds are limited at the time. i was wandering too if anyone has tried aluminum bushings in the Aarms? let me know

07 nbs sierra dropped
1985 lx coupe- N/A 4.8/t10, 5 lug swap, aero front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Are you just asking about aluminum bushings for the a-arms? Or about what we thing about using the listed parts for autocrossing?

I am not really sure why you would want to use aluminum bushings in the control arms. The ends of the bushings act as a bearing surface to the k-member. Aluminum riding on steel doesn't really make a good bearing as the arm goes up and down. Urethane or Delrin would work better. If you are planning on driving the car to the autocross location, just stick with the urethane bushings. If this is a trailered only car, and you are looking at shaving fractions of a second off, then perhaps an aluminum/delrin bushing would work. Looking at your listed parts, you are far from there. To really make the front of a Mustang grip, you will need more than what is listed.

1984 White Mustang T-Top Auto-x/HPDE
#07 CP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my Mustang build and racing info

2011 White Fiesta SES Hatch
Ex-Ford Fiesta Movement Agent and Expert
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

i was just curious about the aluminum bushings. I've read that the 85 K is 1" narrower than a fox so putting SN95 A arms should yield me .83" greater than the fox. I'm running a 245/45/17 up front and it's lowered about 1.5". For now in the rear, i'm running boxed upper and lowers with PH bar. I've got a TA made but i'm waiting on Ubolts.

07 nbs sierra dropped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
ditch those boxed upper arms fast! Those are not what you want! I would also get rid of the boxed lower arms and go with a set of MM tubular arms with a 3-peice bushing or hiem joints on both ends. Being boxed, they are probably using a one peice bushing in both ends. Another no-no for the rear.

I used an 1984 narrow k-member with 03 Cobra arms and 03 Mach 1 spindles along with a set of 245/45ZR17 tires. I widened the fenders because the wheel stuck out, otherwise everything fit just fine. The inner fenders were tossed a long time ago, so no rubbing there. Make sure you get a bumpsteer kit for the tie rods to help dial in the front suspension with the mix-matched front parts.

I would just stick with the urethane front arm bushings, and address some of the other concerns with your suspension first. Spring rates, dampers, control arms, bumpsteer, alignment, and chassis stiffening should be at the top of your list. Fancy bushings should be last. When you are at that point, you will be ready for a proper k-member and arms.

1984 White Mustang T-Top Auto-x/HPDE
#07 CP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my Mustang build and racing info

2011 White Fiesta SES Hatch
Ex-Ford Fiesta Movement Agent and Expert
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I too am using the stock narrow K on my 86. I'm currently using nearly the set-up you are: a-arms are 04 Mach 1s, spindles are 95, brakes are 01 Cobra, springs are FMS "C"s, wheels are 96 Cobra 17" running 245/45/17s. I'm using the MM bumpsteer kit designed for the longer a-arms and sn95 spindles with fox rack, and MM CC plates with Bilstein struts. The longer a-arms caused the car to drop a least another .5" from its previous stance with the stock suspension and C springs. As it currently sits (25" ground to lip in the front), the outside of the tire is even with the fender lip with -1* camber and all the caster it will take and be even on both sides. This configuration does hit the fender on mild bumps and when stopping, but does not hit going up and down driveways with the wheels turned. It does not hit the fender extension but it is close. I have not rolled the fenders and the innner fenderwell is in place. To remedy the rubbing, I've purchased an MM coilover kit to raise it a little and will probably roll the fender lip some. I like this look; far more aggresive than with the wheels tucked in, and although I've not done extensive testing turn-in and front grip appear to have dramatically improved. I've also noticed a lot less tramlining and bumpsteer eventhough I've not really adjusted bumpsteer from the configuration MM said to start with. With this said, the rear wheels tuck in too much with the front track the way it is, so I'm putting on some .5" spacers which should be just about right and not cause interference with the rear wheelwell.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillRacing87gt View Post

95 spindles
pbr calipers
10.5" rotors (right?)
No, you need 13" rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillRacing87gt View Post
95 struts
Not a good idea on a lowered car. 1995 struts have a body that is 1" taller then 87-93 struts, which gives a lowered car 1" less travel.

Rick

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
^actually, for autocross, the 10.5" rotors would be good. You don't have the same heat and dissapation issues that you have on a road course and all of the hardware is lighter, reducing overall, unsprung and rotational weight (rotors only, of course).
post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
That would require modified spindles and or brackets to fit the smaller rotors, which he didn't list.

Rick

93 Calypso Green LX
5 lug swap with 13" Baers and 10th Ann. Cobras, 96+ spindles and 11.65" Cobra brakes with stock Fox Axles
Front Coilovers and rear MM adjustables
Built 306 - AFR, FTI Cam, RPMII, ect.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

goduke- i actually read a post on using fox struts instead of sn95's. if i'm not forced to sell this car, i'll be running it in ITE in the future so i'll go with 13" rotors.

07 nbs sierra dropped
post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke View Post
That would require modified spindles and or brackets to fit the smaller rotors, which he didn't list.
I need to read before I post...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement