Mini tub with PH and TA pics please - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Mini tub with PH and TA pics please

I am thinking of minitubbing my car for huge meats in the back. It will never be competitive in any class and I am not building it to be a racer (although I may try it). So I want mini tubs with a torque arm and panhard bar. Got the PH bar for x-mas and the rest will come in time. I have a blown ACL right now so getting under the car is a no go. I am planning this all out. I have some questions if you all will help. I have a mig welder and can get the metal for free. So here are some thoughts. I would like to plasma cut the stock brackets off the rear and relocate them inboard to fit. The coilovers would go on with a bar and brackets fabbed up to locate the shocks in the same way as stock. I want to keep the rear end the stock width and have the wheels widened 2.5 inches (by Weldcraft) for the 335/30/18's. I am not sure if the Maximum Motorsports panhard bar will need to be modified or if the torque arm will bolt on after the control arm and shock brackets are moved inboard. Can anyone think of something I may have not thought of? I am going solely by picturing this stuff in my head so any input is welcome. Thank you very much!

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

83' Capri- resurrecting an old Street Outlaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

No one has done this? I thought someone might have some pics saved or something.

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
look up vegas702 in members list, check out all his posts and you will see build pics. impressive stuff.

Must keep making progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
put your back on the creeper and stop bitching about your knee, pansy.

98 Cobra - the same junk everyone else and their mother have
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver408coupe View Post
No one has done this? I thought someone might have some pics saved or something.
No not in this forum, Road Racing/Auto x, everthing you're talking about is in the wrong direction for a suspension geared toward road racing which I think you already realize. I suspect you only care about going straight.

- Wider rear meets = more understeer
- Moving the shocks inboard reduces the effective displacement.
- Moving the shocks inboard will significantly reduce the jounce travel if I understand how you plan to do this with the upper mount.
- Moving the control arm mounting points in, what are you going to do with the front attachement?

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Toys,

I posted this in here because it is more than a general question. I understand that it is counterproductive to a competion set up. This will not be an all out race car. I am not overly concerened with going in a straight line. More concerned with just having fun and having a better handling car. I'm not going to have a super car set up but I don't expect one. I don't know that I'll ever reach any upper limits of the suspension. Thanks for the advice, I will look up a couple of things. I though placing the springs on the axle was a move in the right direction and was already going to up the spring rates anyway. As far as jounce goes, I am going to try and keep the height of the stock shock mounting location. I don't plan on just welding a straight bar between the frame rails. Maybe go axcross from the back bars from the back of the roll bar. Or angle up from the frame rails and then triangulate that to the rollbar for a sturdy mount. Again this is just planning.

2nd sideways,

Thanks, I'll look him up.

95PGTT,

LOL, yeah but it keeps popping anytime I don't keeep it straight even with a brace on. That can't be helping it!

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement