How sticky are Hoosier R6's at lower speed events? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How sticky are Hoosier R6's at lower speed events?

I am kinda in between getting V710's and trying out R6's.

I have autocrossed before but kinda trying to get more into lapping sessions.

The lower speed events are a 2 minute plyon course that is more of a solo 1 ( higher speeds in 1 section 3rd gear ) event then a solo 2 event.

They break the heats into 5 cars and 2 cars at a time ( seperated ) so you are maybe in line for 2-4 minutes before you are back out again ( start and stopbox ) and 3 runs in a session.

I have used the V710's before for autocrosses but have never tried the R6's before.

Just wondering what people think about me trying the R6's or will they not heat up enough. I can handle taking it a bit easy on the first run.

Running a 400 hp fox Saleen. need as much grip as I can get.

Brian

Last edited by Saleen880549; 02-25-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM

The people that I have talked to that have ran the R-version say that they just don't get enough heat in them for the autocross types of events.

post #3 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Based on the use you are describing, I'd say the V710 would be a better choice than the R6. I just don't know that you'd really get the R6 into its sweet spot, in terms of carcass temps...matter of fact, based on what you are describing, you might consider running the A6 compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdrvr View Post
based on what you are describing, you might consider running the A6 compound.
I have tried the A6's but do not like the 245/40/17 size up front.

Since my car has a front Saleen dam, I can't/won't force out the front splats to fit 275/40's in the front.

I loved the V710's for autocross, they were/are the fastest tire I have ever used ( mostly ran 2nd -4th place in local events and even 1 FTD with them ). And I have used many tires, even General R compounds back in the early 1990's.

255/40/17 is the best size for me but not many tires to choose from. Iffy to try the new BFG R1's as I hated the older R1's years ago.

I will be doing some laping days on a 1.2 mile road course ( Motorcycle/gocart track ) so that is why I was thinking R6's.

Thanks for the replies... better just go with the V710's and learn any "greasiness" they may get/see during a solo I event.

Brian

Last edited by Saleen880549; 02-25-2009 at 11:43 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Been reading over on the corvette forum that even the road racers and tt guys are using the A6 for sprints up to 25-30 laps. They say the R6 is not competative against the A6.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #6 of 18 Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Been reading over on the corvette forum that even the road racers and tt guys are using the A6 for sprints up to 25-30 laps. They say the R6 is not competative against the A6.
I could see a Corvette doing that with the even weight distribution.

I ran my Hoosier A's years ago at this small road course and the worst thing is how a heavy Mustang is harder on front tires. Well, atleast on my car as it is not the light.

Brian
post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen880549 View Post
Thanks for the replies... better just go with the V710's and learn any "greasiness" they may get/see during a solo I event.
Get you a lawn sprayer with a pump handle and put some water in it. Spray a light mist of water on your tire tread area between runs. It will keep them from overheating and prevent the greasiness. We do that in Florida for summer events and it really works.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM

Glenn, do you think that degrades the tires longevity? Meaning cycle out faster?
post #9 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If the A6 gets greasy on you the 710 might be a better choice than the R6. I've run 710's 25-30 minute sessions in 90+ degree weather without any noticable change in traction or tire overheating. My car is 3600+lbs with me in it.

I never spray my tires to cool them but I think the 710's are a couple of seconds slower than an equally driven/prepared car on A6's.

I'll be able to quantify that statement sometime this year I hope as I haven't had the Hoosiers on my car yet.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #10 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

this is the first I have heard guys use the A6's for lapping. I know guys that had to use them the odd time as they did a lapping session when they mainly do autocross.

I guess I will just try the V710's and see how they are.

I sprayed my V710's at autocrosses but think there will be 45 min cool down inbetween laping runs for 3-4 run groups.

Thanks all and anymore feedback info is welcomed.

Brian

Oh, the A6's never got greasy for me.... i just kinda mentioned the V710's getting greasy from what I have read now and then and heard. That is why I asked about maybe using the R6's.

Brian
post #11 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 PM

The A6 is a great tire, but I don't think it is anywhere close to picking up, say, 1 second per 60 seconds on course. But, if you are looking for that fastest lap, the A6 compound does seem to be quicker, based on our testing on both the Z06 and the RX8...haven't tried anything other than the A6 on the Mustang

I believe that a number of top cars at the Runoffs not only used the A6 for qualifying, but also raced on them...
post #12 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen880549 View Post
I am kinda in between getting V710's and trying out R6's.
I think the question should be more between A6 and R6.

I run R6's in roadracing, and know that it takes be a lap (or 2) before I really start pushing it, so the tires have a chance to warm up. Thats like 3-4 miles and a few minutes of warmup time.

IMOHO, You wanno go fast, do what other racers do, go A6's.
If you are just weekend racing, then go for budget, and run V710's.

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #13 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis View Post
I think the question should be more between A6 and R6.

I run R6's in roadracing, and know that it takes be a lap (or 2) before I really start pushing it, so the tires have a chance to warm up. Thats like 3-4 miles and a few minutes of warmup time.

IMOHO, You wanno go fast, do what other racers do, go A6's.
If you are just weekend racing, then go for budget, and run V710's.

Well, the issue I have is the A6 size I ran 245/40/17 in the front and that is too much load on the short sidewall for a 3600+ pound car. I did not like the size.

My last year of autocrossing I ran V710's in the 245/45/17 size up front and it was SO MUCH better. Everyone told me I looked so fast/smooth on the V710's ( most of the time placed 2nd - 4th overall and one FTD on them - autocrosses )... they did feel way better.

R6's come in a 245/45/17 size but the A6's don't,,, that is my issue.

If the Hoosier A's came in a better front size... then I would not be asking this Question. I do want to be fast. I like to run hard and be competitive.

Brian

Last edited by Saleen880549; 02-26-2009 at 04:26 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM

R6 is a great road course tire and works well on heavy cars. I ran them on my CTS-V. I've heard of guys running the A6 on a road course but they wear extremely fast. Contact Eric Frisby at Frisby Tire (www.FrisbyRaceTire.com) for assistance with the Hoosiers.

Feff

MVP Track Time
post #15 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
A6 and R6 are the same construction, just different compounds. Many at the Runoffs were running A6's over R6's.

Tracking in general is much easier on tires than autoxing is. You aren't spinning the tires as much, it's less often you are sideways because it's harder to spin the rear wheels in 3rd or 4than middle of 2nd gear.

If it's really hot out, or you are running for say an hour or more at a stretch, I think A's would be fine.

V710's are more durable, but also more vague and I find slower on average... not shocking since they don't seem to care about keeping up anymore.

You also have to look at available sizes. Hoosier has more than Kumho does and if the tire doesn't fit the rim well than can hurt longevity too.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #16 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 PM

We use to run the V710s on our NASA ST1 Z06. They were good tires. Better price than the R6/A6. Last season we switched to the R6 and gained 1-2 seconds. We also saw that in the end they were cheaper because they lasted better. We have not tried the A6 but I have seen several cars using them. Danny Popp was using the A6 when he won ST1 at Mid Ohio in 07.

How about the NT01's? I have some sponsored 315s all the way around on my 04 Cobra but didnt get to really try them. I broke a piston at Cal speed last time out.

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
post #17 of 18 Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlAutoWorks View Post

How about the NT01's? .
Ok, I don't know much about these tires. They do make them in a 255/40/17 and a 275/40/17

Can anyone give feedback/comparisons on these Nitto's to the Hoosier A & R and V710's for low and higher speed events.

Brian
post #18 of 18 Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM

Like I said I didnt get to use them much. I was given them to test out on high weight/HP car. They come with 6/32 of rubber vs the 4/32 of the A6/R6 They do have tread blocks for the first 2/32 and can be shaved to a full slick with 4/32. They seem to handle heat quite well and were grippy straight off. The tread blocks are large and dont squirm. I think they have the DOT raiting so they should be able to be used as a DOT spec tire for classes that require them. I also believe they are cheaper than any of the other DOT race tires. My issue with them was 315-30-18 being the largest size. That was fine on my front but way small on the rear. I have been running the Hoosier VRL slicks 305 F 335 R and they seemed to compair fairly well in the limited use I gave them.

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
Sponsored Links
Advertisement