Rack #4 just ate it, this one only logged about 3 miles. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Angry Rack #4 just ate it, this one only logged about 3 miles.

Its my fault, I bought a salvage 1995 model rack.

Rack one was the stocker, didn't leak but was loose to the point of danger
Rack two was an AGR unit bought new from Summit. Installed and was immediately loose, and developed leak in 3 months time. AGR refused warrantee service as install was after warrantee period (90 days from purchase).
Rack three was a Flaming River sportsman unit. Had all sorts of fitment troubles, made custom lines, and I just didn't have the FR shaft that's 1.5" longer than the MM unit. Sold the rack
Rack 4 was a 1995 Rack purchased locally to get the car back on the road.

Now its just leaking at both ends, refilled and bled system, but the rack is jumpy and keeps getting air in. For the $50 I paid for it, not even going to bother fixing.

So looking at my options again, and in a mood to do it right and be done with this nightmare, as I could have a rack made of gold and platinum by now.

Option 1:
Buy a car parts store rack. Will have a warrantee, but how many random v6/early SN95GT racks will I have to go through before I get a unit that doesn't play or feel completely numb?

Option 2:
The new flaming river sportsman rack:
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd223.htm
Sold as a kit, attractive line setup (I like how they used flexible lines in this new design). Have all the right parts to do the job the first time. $1000 out of my butt however.

Option 3:
Hunt for a used rack again. Same problems as #1. I don't have faith in this.

Option 4:
Try AGR again, maybe go direct through them versus summit racing. I'm still not impressed with their service, and I hear nothing but leaky racks. I did like how firm my rack was, just hated how it was loose in the center like the stocker it replaced (I've made sure time and time again it wasn't anything else like bumpsteer kit wear or shafts or columns or loose steering wheel, hubs, etc causing play).

What do you guys think? I've been on the verge of giving up on this car, but lately, I need a hobby, so I'm going to get these projects rocked out and enjoy this car before I get any older or have to become any more responsible.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Why not get a rack from the dealer? I just got an 03/04 Cobra rack (remanufactured) from Ford for $190. Usually they go for $240 + $150 core charge, but I got mine from Tousley Ford for $190 + $150 core. I know of a 00R rack, but the guy wants $650 no less...

post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Happy View Post
Why not get a rack from the dealer? I just got an 03/04 Cobra rack (remanufactured) from Ford for $190. Usually they go for $240 + $150 core charge, but I got mine from Tousley Ford for $190 + $150 core. I know of a 00R rack, but the guy wants $650 no less...

The dealers won't guarantee the rack that comes in would be a cobra rack. They want just shy of $400 out here (no core), and the last two cobra racks they tried to order ended up having casings with V6 stampings. I should have noted that I had investigated that route as well. I'd love a new/good reman.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 AM

Damn that sucks. I just got my rack from Ford today, and it has "SPR-ZM" marked on it so I guess I got lucky. I did give the dealer a vin # from an 03 Cobra (I have a 96), so maybe that helped...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:25 AM

There is a guy on SVT Performance that works at a Ford dealer (Tousley). He is the guy I went through and he can get it for $190 + $150 core...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Happy View Post
Damn that sucks. I just got my rack from Ford today, and it has "SPR-ZM" marked on it so I guess I got lucky. I did give the dealer a vin # from an 03 Cobra (I have a 96), so maybe that helped...

Hmm, maybe its the source again.... What dealer did you go through in Ca?

post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 AM

Go to...

http://www.trademotion.com/PARTLOCAT...?SITEID=214771

Type in 2R3Z3504AARM in the part search for Ford. Once you search, that part number will be superseded by another one, and will lead you to two options. I chose the top one that says "Collision Catalog", DOHC 2003 - 2004. I also typed in an 03 Cobra vin before completing the order. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe you'll get an 03/04 Cobra rack if order this way.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM

The long lost Cobra rack!?

P-86 460 Coupe
militarymustang.info
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I had a local salvage yard get a "cobra" rack for me last week. After getting it in, we looked at the stamp and it was GT/Mach 1 rack...even the car VIN was a Mach 1...so I am also on the search for a real cobra rack.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Bought a rack from advanced auto last year..still tight as a drum even ever street and autox abuse. Works like a champ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement