ABS broke, fix it or F*#& it? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
ABS broke, fix it or F*#& it?

My ABS light used to come on at random but a few months ago it came on and hasn't shut off since so I'm assuming something in the system is fubar. I've been fine without it during our autocross winter series and I really don't miss it (probably because I didn't have ABS in my fox that I had for 8 years).

I have a bulb out in my dash behind my speedo so I'm pulling that out this weekend to replace it and I'm so tempted to just yank the bulb out of the ABS socket and call it a day, thoughts?

I usually hit 2 autocross events per month all season long and I daily drive the car 5 miles each way to work.

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
If you arent using your ABS in an autocross you arent braking hard enough.

Pull the codes on it and fix it. http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...sDiagInfo.html

post #3 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach95GT View Post
And if you ARE using, you are probably slow and overdriving. It is a fine line...

That being said, the SN95 I have experience with had excellent ABS which turned quite a few massive screw ups into salvageable runs.

I'd fix it.

DaveW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I'm with ya. My abs is on the fritz

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #5 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM

fix it.. its worthless until you need it.. then you're glad you have it...... kinda like insurance

1994 Mustang GT
FRPP 70mm TB.. Typhoon intake .. GT40 Heads.. Paxton SN2000 @ 6lbs.. 42# FRPP injectors.. BBK Shorty Headers.. O/R H-Pipe.. No Mufflers.. Pro 5.0 Shifter.. AEM Plug-N-Play Standalone.. AEM EPM.. LS1 coils.. GM 3bar MAP
post #6 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Fixing it will save you money from flat spotting tires if you are the type to overdo it going into corners ocassionally.

(who? me? I don't know what you are talking about... )
post #7 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, my head is now officially out of my ass on this one and I'm going to get it fixed, it's so stinkin cold here that my lazyness has reached new heights with anything outside

When the ABS was working it was great, the Bosch 4 channel system isn't super intrusive but still gets the job done real well when I needed it. I just don't really miss it because I got very used to threshold braking without ABS in my old fox like I had mentioned. Oh and believe me I'm using the brakes enough, every event I've been at that I haven't had the ABS I've locked a wheel up once or twice, my buddy even caught me doing it with my camera...

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM

post the picture/video

1994 Mustang GT
FRPP 70mm TB.. Typhoon intake .. GT40 Heads.. Paxton SN2000 @ 6lbs.. 42# FRPP injectors.. BBK Shorty Headers.. O/R H-Pipe.. No Mufflers.. Pro 5.0 Shifter.. AEM Plug-N-Play Standalone.. AEM EPM.. LS1 coils.. GM 3bar MAP
post #9 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Oops!

Here's the picture...

And here's video from one of the last events of the season last year with some up close and personal brake locking action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSPKAR4J5_4

Last edited by Ciotti; 02-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM

After a little detective work, I know which event that picture came from, and that it was from somewhere in the first "segment" of the course. What I can't figure out is if you were braking for the left-hand sweeper or the right turn leading across into the second segment. Or why your car is aimed the way it is

Got to ya a little (but congrats on your class win).

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #11 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM

I've been running sans ABS for a while. IF you're using track pads, the abs helps when the pads are cold. As the pads warm up and become more liner, the ABS serves a bit less in function. It also helps when there are bumps in the braking zone....sometimes, in the wet, during panic braking, when the track gets greasy, and when you're locking up a rear tire and not realizing it.

It's hard to flat spot r-comps or street tires as long as you're aware of the potential of locking up a tire. I had some decent smokey stops, and I never had a problem.

I'm fixing mine now. I'm going to replace that front sensors (I think I scraped the wires, which are brittle as they are exposed to the elements) during a spring change.

e90 328i
post #12 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
After a little detective work, I know which event that picture came from, and that it was from somewhere in the first "segment" of the course. What I can't figure out is if you were braking for the left-hand sweeper or the right turn leading across into the second segment. Or why your car is aimed the way it is

Norm
I believe that was coming into that annoying little left hander box thing after the straight that was after the sweeping left hander. Did that make any sense?

post #13 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Yup. Actually, I kind of liked that feature even though I know I left some time there.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #14 of 19 Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I couldn't get it figured out %100 either, but we could only do so much with 4 runs ya know?

post #15 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Ciotti,
Cool vid. What are you using for a camera. I really like those body mount shots.

Rob

Rob
Venom Technologies LLC
post #16 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach95GT View Post

Pull the codes on it and fix it. http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...sDiagInfo.html
This might be a stupid question but oh well. How do I ground the wire on the connector? I've never done this and I would like to pull the ABS code. If I find the "connector" will there be an orange wire that is there or is there something that needs to be plugged in.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (75)
i am not here to tell anyone whether they should ditch their abs or not, i did and for anyone interested in how i did it here's a thread i started awhile back explaining how and why i did it.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=872390

95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
https://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
post #18 of 19 Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Ciotti,
I would suggest pulling the codes via the OBD plug port under the dash. Suggested tool would be an NGS (New Generation Star) scanner. Some auto parts stores have them and will go out to the parking lot and give you a quick scan. Certainly most repair shops and dealer would too.

Regarding diagnosis, one quick easy tell tail is if the light is off at start up and then goes on after driving it is likely a wheel speed sensor. However if a sensor wire is broken and fails continuity for the open circuit check then the light will be on from the get go.

Another quick thing to check is there was a water intrusion issue for years, where water would "wick" into the system via the ground wire on the radiator support. The wire harness crimp at the ground loop wasn't sealed and water would migrate down into the ECUs electrical connection. This can be inspected fairly easily by unplugging the ECU connector at the ABS unit and looking for corrosion on the pins/plugs.

my 0.02 ......

Rob

Rob
Venom Technologies LLC
post #19 of 19 Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Mine comes and goes. From your post, it is most likely a wheel sensor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement