ABS in a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
ABS in a fox

Well i've searched here and gone through at least 30 pages of material over at corners carvers with no luck.

I remember seeing someone was puting the ABS in their fox for some type of competitive racing, and had a full writeup on what all was needed to do to it. Does anyone have an article where I can read and start my looking. I already have a SN-95 swap with the sensors, and am going to be running an IRS shortly, so I can hook the sensors up no problem.

EDIT: found a link using anti for search, http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...highlight=anti

Last edited by jammer84_03; 02-21-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: found a link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I posted over on that thread.

Well, I have been looking over this and have been getting some ideas for installing a ABS unit off of a 03' cobra since I will have an IRS installed from the same vehicle.

Now I see this writeup and the one on chicane have used a 94' to 95' units for the control (brain) box. Will the later units be "stand alone" or do they communicate with the ECU for the traction control functionality?

post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
It is here under tech articles--

https://www.corral.net/tech/handling/abs.html

--------------------
90 GT Convertible- Triple Black- Cobra intake and MAF, 24lb inj., "P" heads, Cobra 1.7 rr, Lunati cam, 73 mm fronts, 3:73, 190 lph, etc, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I thought in reading about this stuff over the years that the newer units (and I'm not sure exactly what "newer" means) did, in fact, talk to the ECU for traction control.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
https://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1083140

You need a 94-97 ABS in a Fox. I'd suggest getting the latest ABS unit you can. There are many "tweaks" done in controller code every year. That's true for ABS, TC, engine control and so on. Of course, that could also mean that "they" could have decided to go with an even less "aggressive" strategy for any controller for any given year(s).

The 99+ ABS units use the CAN bus to talk to EEC. I have no idea what the 99+ ABS systems do when they are in stand-alone mode.
I do *not* know what the ABS/TC does if it can't talk to the EEC. IMHO, in that case, unless the AB/TC unit completely shuts down (brakes act as normal), then some people should be fired, thrown in jail for life, shot, hung, giving the electric chair, and so on.

post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Just posted this over on the other link because they were asking about the '98 units:

The 1998 Cobra ABS codes are read through the OBD-II connector. I just bought an Actron ABS BrakeScan tool to read out the codes. Interestingly, the tool wouldnt talk to the ABS system if I told it the car was a 1998. I had to enter 1999 in order for it to communicate with the ABS.

98 Cobra - NASA Time Trial Car - For sale
09 CTS-V - Daily Driver
06 F-150 - Hauler
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

So it seems as though it might be linked to the main harness so that it can be read through the OBD2 port for ease of use. That and the actual TC function controlled by the ECU uses the info sent to it by the ABS unit. I would have to assume the ABS is a seperate unit that had full control over the braking aspect, but also had the ability to send its data to the ECU so that it could just piggyback the same info and not have to have its own set of sensors to rely off of.

And as far as the newer units are concerned, It looks as though te packaging gets smaller as time moves on. I was looking at some of the GT500 units and they look rather small compared to the 94-95 units. That and it only makes sence that over time the units would be refined for better and better functionality. Looks as though I might have to be the guinea pig and go for a newer unit and report back how it works.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I'm just curious if any of you guys ever found anything out on this?

I'm going to put a 99-04 dash into my Fox, and was wanting to integrate the ABS and Traction Control into it as well, and this thread could provide some of the info I'm looking for.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
https://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1083140

The 99+ ABS units use the CAN bus to talk to EEC. I have no idea what the 99+ ABS systems do when they are in stand-alone mode.
I do *not* know what the ABS/TC does if it can't talk to the EEC. IMHO, in that case, unless the AB/TC unit completely shuts down (brakes act as normal), then some people should be fired, thrown in jail for life, shot, hung, giving the electric chair, and so on.
The problem with CAN bus equipped systems is that all the necessary sensor or other information that, for example ABS-system needs, may not be directly wired to systems ECU but to some other ECU in the car and then it is delivered to the ECU that needs the info via CAN bus. So the system doesn't work alone it needs the other ECU's that gather information for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement