IRS exhaust with fox body GT rear valence - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
IRS exhaust with fox body GT rear valence

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question, as the rest of the guys in the other forums would be more than happy to get rid of their IRS. I have also done alot of looking and mostly found the swaps done on LX foxes.

I have a 1989 Mustang GT, and am about to perform a IRS swap (obviously), and use the Cobra tailpipes in the swap. Now with the way the tail pipes exit, I know I wont be able to get the Cobra pipes to work as is. Does anyone have any pictures of their GT with the swap done or suggestions as what to do? I was thinking along the lines of cutting the tips off the end and bending it into a turn down at the bumper to mimic what the original tailpipes did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
The 03 Cobra Flowmasters exited in the stock position on my 86 GT. All that was required was bending the hanger tabs 90 degrees to fit the stock hangers.

This is where all the info I needed came from. http://www.mouthbreather.net/IRSSWAP.HTML

Hope it helps.

Wishing everyone peace, love, and the perfect apex . . . everytime.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89FirehawkGT View Post
The 03 Cobra Flowmasters exited in the stock position on my 86 GT. All that was required was bending the hanger tabs 90 degrees to fit the stock hangers.

This is where all the info I needed came from. http://www.mouthbreather.net/IRSSWAP.HTML

Hope it helps.
If im not mistaken, the 86 GT had a 87-93 LX style rear bumper that doesnt come down as far as the 87-93 GT.

And that is where I had looked when I first had the idea of doing the swap. The car they use there is the LX as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM

The 03 Cobra exhaust exits through a valance much like th 87-93 GTs.

Therefore, since it fit with one minor mod on my 86GT, inclination would say that it would fit/attach close to where you need it.

FWIW, thats my opinion from a guy who's busted his knuckles on more than one.

post #5 of 23 Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Do you happen to have a picture of the rear of the car with the IRS and exhaust done? Im curious to see it.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM

I've seen the IRS exhaust on the notches and LX's and it came flush with the bottom of the rear valance, for the 87-93 GT's I would think you'd need to do some sort of turn-downs or dumps with the IRS exhaust if you didn't want to cut up the valance.

'99 SVT Cobra #2085 -- MAC Cat-Back, MAC O/R H, C&L Intake, Steeda UDPs, FRPP 4.10s, B&M Pro Ripper Shifter, UPR Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, Hawk HPS Pads, Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Too Much Suspension Stuff to List, Custom Tuned by Tillman Speed -- 306 whp/301 wtq
post #7 of 23 Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Ozz is correct. With a littler patience and care, you can have the stock Cobra exhuast exit through the GT valence. Get out your painters tape, scribe, and your favorite sharp cutting tool.

Let me scrounge around at home, I have a had a computer go-boom since I sold the last one. I think I still have a few in my laptop.

post #8 of 23 Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Sweet deal. I figured there would be some hacking involved. I will hack up the tailpipes with ease before I go anywhere near the body work. Plus, this will give me the excuse i need to pick up a new MIG welder...
post #9 of 23 Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89FirehawkGT View Post
The 03 Cobra exhaust exits through a valance much like th 87-93 GTs.

Therefore, since it fit with one minor mod on my 86GT, inclination would say that it would fit/attach close to where you need it.

FWIW, thats my opinion from a guy who's busted his knuckles on more than one.

The 87-93 GT's all had turndowns, the exhaust tips never exited straight out the back.

For the OP-Here's the cobra exhaust on my LX.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM

You are right...brain fart. Long day of BS.

If the pipes were extended on the GTs, they would go through the valence.

You'd have to imagine, extrapolate, and do some fit-testing, but it will fit with some trimming of the GT valence.

The pictures are here somewhere...I will keep looking.

M

post #11 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
From a purely aesthetic POV, pipes through the GT valence look like ass. Why not use a 93 cobra bumper?
post #12 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Another option is to extend the hangers so that the ends of the tail pipe hang low enough to clear under the valence. Previous owner did this to my car to fit an LX exhaust.

I think it looks really dumb.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #13 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Just get a '93 Cobra bumper, and the tips will fit perfectly!

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #14 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I've been debating the cobra bumper, but im keeping it cheap for the time being. Looks like my option is for the bending of stock cobra tailpipes. Thanks for all the input guys!
post #15 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Why not run dumps so you don't have to buy tailpipes when/if you change to a cobra bumper?
post #16 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SSP View Post
Why not run dumps so you don't have to buy tailpipes when/if you change to a cobra bumper?
Dumps would be a HUGE no-no when I take the IRS out to the track. The exhaust would heat up the differential housing, the fluid, and ultimately kill the clutches in the differential. I am actually going to fab a plate to sit under the pumpkin with some heat shield tape so I can keep the temps down even further. Easier fix for the time being (and a heck of alot cheaper) than going and splurging on a IRS diff cooler.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Sorry man, I could never figure out how the hell this stupid website attaches photos...

However, they don't show anything more than what you already have been shown.

+1 for the '93 Cobra bumper.

post #18 of 23 Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer84_03 View Post
Dumps would be a HUGE no-no when I take the IRS out to the track. The exhaust would heat up the differential housing, the fluid, and ultimately kill the clutches in the differential. I am actually going to fab a plate to sit under the pumpkin with some heat shield tape so I can keep the temps down even further. Easier fix for the time being (and a heck of alot cheaper) than going and splurging on a IRS diff cooler.
What about having the dumps exit to the rear of the diff?
post #19 of 23 Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k4 View Post
What about having the dumps exit to the rear of the diff?
Dumps right after would pour hot exhaust gasses right on the fuel tank.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM

if you have turndowns, it would be OK. People do it all the time, yes even in Open Track cars.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer84_03 View Post
Dumps right after would pour hot exhaust gasses right on the fuel tank.
How do you figure that? Dumps face down, and they'd be in the same general area as the oem turndowns.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

This is quoted directly from Maximum Motorsports themselves:

Differential Oil Cooling System, fits 1999-2004 Cobra with IRS

Keep the differential temperature down and avoid burning-up the stock Ford Traction-Lok differential in your 1999-2004 Cobra with MM’s IRS Differential Cooler. The IRS center section is subjected to much more heat than a solid axle differential. The additional heat comes from the exhaust being routed directly underneath the IRS differential, the reduced fluid capacity of the IRS center section, and the absence of large steel axle tubes to act as heat sinks. The Cobra IRS has gained a reputation for burning up the Traction-Lok differential during spirited driving and open-track events. With MM’s new Differential Cooler kit, costly limited slip failures caused by excessive heat can be avoided.

Now change this equation to exhaust gasses instead of the hot tail pipes and your barking up a whole different tree of problems. Like I said, even with the exhaust pipes in place, I plan on placing a heat shield under the pumpkin on the IRS bracing. There will be a combination of exhaust wrap on the tailpipes themselves, and DEI Cool Tape. The tape itself can reflect up to 1500 degrees of radiant heat which should be more than plenty sufficient for what I plan on using it for.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k4 View Post
How do you figure that? Dumps face down, and they'd be in the same general area as the oem turndowns.
OEM turndowns...when have ford ever put OEM turndowns on a car. Dumps that face down dont actually keep the gasses at ground level. The flow of air under the car at speed will just force the exhaust straight back no matter which way you have the tips pointed. I can go into all sorts senarios involving thremal expansion, air flow, and the non-effects that dumps would actually have in directing air flow.

Take a look at how the exhaust actually exits on an 99-04 cobra and you will see exactly what I am reffering to. If you run dumps on an IRS suspension, you not only have to worry about the differential as much as the bushings and suspension components as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement