Watts Link and Sway Bar - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Watts Link and Sway Bar

hello all,

I have a Griggs TA and Watts Link. When I set-up the system they (John) said that I did not need a sway bar. I have thought long and hard about it, and have not been able to rationalize this. Anyone have some input on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Probably had something to do with your spring rates and the roll center.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I've looked at many Griggs Watts link cars at the track. None of them run a rear sway bar. Call up John, he will explain. He explained it to me once, since I run a TA/PHB and don't plan on changing this year it kind of went in one ear and out the other.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
i believe it has to do also with the car not being heavy enough to really need one. griggs 05+ cars has their rear no bind sway bar and that car is much heavyier. griggs cars handle so flat that i could see why they eliminate it. makes you wonder why maximum went to so much effort making their adjustable unit. all on how the whole system is designed to work together. -- look at the steeda boys-- they love rear sway bars so much they put two on the rear, but that is for use with the stock design 4 link or their 5 link 2 with their flimsy spring rates and tokicos. they want to keep the back end flat to minimize binding associated with 4 links.

i got griggs watts, wc longer rear lower cntrl arms, and ta and im not too concerned. ive been in couple gr foxes and sn-95s that didnt have the rear bar and u would never know it.

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas702 View Post
hello all,

I have a Griggs TA and Watts Link. When I set-up the system they (John) said that I did not need a sway bar. I have thought long and hard about it, and have not been able to rationalize this. Anyone have some input on this?
I think they (John) know(s) a little something about the stiffnesses in your front suspension, front sta-bar in particular, that hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Front and rear bar sizes are much more about tuning the handling balance than simply limiting roll.

A few other things that matter are the rear roll center height (mentioned), roll steer %, and whether your diff is open or is a limited slip (of unknown effectiveness).

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #6 of 13 Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsideways View Post
i believe it has to do also with the car not being heavy enough to really need one.
Huh?

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #7 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 AM

hey, this is just what i was told. and it makes sense as the only GR made rear sway bars are for the 05+ mustangs.

"has to do with the car not being heavy enough to really need one"---with a GR set up ofcourse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2ndsideways; 02-24-2009 at 02:58 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Maybe its me but I cannot understand the point that you are trying to make. The GR system does not make the car any lighter. There are a few reasons that I could speculate that they rear sway wouldn't be needed.

1) Higher spring rates from a coilover (in the front and rear) conversion make wheel rate high enough to run a small front bar and no rear

2) The rear bar is not as effective due to not mounting to the chassis.

Once again that is rampant speculation on my part, could it be true, possibly. Is that what you are getting at?

post #9 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 AM

im not saying that the vehicle weight is the only reason, but is part of it. you mention some good points, as with coil overs it allows the springs to be a little bit wider on the chassis -- along with the higher rate and lower adjustable roll centers from watts or panhard bar-- all play into not needing the rear bar......

post #10 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsideways View Post
-- along with the higher rate and lower adjustable roll centers from watts or panhard bar-- all play into not needing the rear bar......
Lower roll centers (whether adjustable or not) is the argument for adding a rear sta-bar where none had been previously.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #11 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I'm running that setup with no rear bar and it is excellent.My car has 475# front and 275# rear coilovers and it weighs about 3100 with me and full fuel.
Guy
post #12 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Like it has been mentioned before, the change in spring rate, whether or not you are using coilovers is the reason. If you added the rear sway bar it would be similar to using slightly stiffer springs which could make the car get loose or help it if its tight. AR bars are there for tuning.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Anyone have data on how much wheel rate certain sta bars add?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement