wilwood setup for fox streetcar - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
wilwood setup for fox streetcar

the purchase of a new set of CCW classics made it necessary to upgrade my old (1 yr.) 10.75" wilwood dynalite pro 4 piston (1.75") front brakes to the 12.91" sl6 setup. my back of the car has 12.19" dynalite pro 4 piston (1.38") setup. what im considering is to swap the old front 1.75" calipers for the rear 1.38" calipers, or, i just saw a retro 6 piston caliper kit that lets you use all your old kit but adds the good caliper. the rest of the system is a wilwood 1" tandem aluminum master cylinder and proportioning valve. what would be the best setup?

'89 lx hatch 37k miles, dart based 347 with a little turbo coming. 750rwhp pump gas and hydraulic roller. MM&FF aug '11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
What you have should be fine as is. I had a similar set up but used 11.75 rear rotors and the Billet Dynalite Calipers. What was different was that I used a
1 1/16 bore MC from a SN95 Mustang. I wanted the biggest MC I can fit to reduce pedal travel. I could have gone with th 1 1/8 MC from the SVO Mustang but their hard to find and are of an old style/design.
I also fitted the Wilwood check valves to both the two front calipers as well as the rear. To reduce pedal travel due to pad kickback because of the fixed calipers vrs the stock floating calipers.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks jim, i just replaced the 1 1/8" master cylinder i was using because i didn't have any pedal travel. it was a rock, and i wanted more road "feel". talked to a gentleman from hotrodusa.com and he pretty much talked me out of any rear upgrade because in his opinion it would just be a cosmetic upgrade that would need to be restricted by the prop valve. he said the best option for upgrade would be 1.25" rotors with superlite 4 calipers with the smallest piston available. like you, his best advice was to leave it alone.

'89 lx hatch 37k miles, dart based 347 with a little turbo coming. 750rwhp pump gas and hydraulic roller. MM&FF aug '11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Fellas, where are you getting the caliper brackets or whole kits for that matter?

I'd love to run these, as the price point is much cheaper.

Any info is appreciated...especially from a Council member (Jim).

Wishing everyone peace, love, and the perfect apex . . . everytime.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

i could recommend the hotrodusa.com guy, i think his name is dean. very knowledgeable and sincere.

post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89FirehawkGT View Post
Fellas, where are you getting the caliper brackets or whole kits for that matter?

I'd love to run these, as the price point is much cheaper.

Any info is appreciated...especially from a Council member (Jim).
I made it. That is the rear brake set up. The fronts were the standard Wilwood 6-piston conversion for the Mustang with 94 and later steering knuckle/spindle.

In the rear I used a set of rear caliper brackets from a old Turbo T-Bird. I welded/pluged the caliper mounting holes on the brackets and then welded some extra metal on to them so I could then drill new mounting holes for the radial mount Wilwood calipers I used. I also purchased a set of rotor hats with close to the correct offset. I did need to modify then a bit. I also used off the shelf racing type rotors in the 11.75 X 1 size. I think I paid about $35 each new. This is a very common size for most circle track cars so "Everybody" makes them.

That's about it. I still have the parts as I kept them when I sold the car. I plan on using them on another car project in the future.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement