Installed MM rack bushings - think I goofed! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Installed MM rack bushings - think I goofed!

I decided to finally install these older MM rack bushings in my '91 GT (does not use a rear spherical washer) and followed the instructions from their site and here: http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/rack.htm

I did scribe as instructed, but instead of cutting the sleeves rearward, I cut them (1/16") forward of the scribe marks, since it didn't really matter with the older design of these bushings (I also marked them L and R), so as long as they don't contact the rack bushings once installed (correct?).

Upon reinstalling the rack I noticed the driver's side sits a little forward than the passenger side. So I think I need to cut these sleeves exactly the same height (the amount of 1/16" was done so from my scribe marks)...common sense I guess

As a note, I took a feeler gauge between the rack and the k-member (stock) and it was snug at the passenger side with .024 but the driver's side with .047 still had a little room.

Of course, I come with pictures for your viewing pleasure! Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
To me, using my limited knowledge, you could maybe get some washers and use them as shims. Doesn't look like it'd take many to equal out the other side.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
What's causing the one side to sit forward of the other side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
If the sleeve you cut contacts the rack bushing, keeping it from mounting flush with the K-member, you will always be chasing a moving rack. BTDT.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I still have some more material I can cut from those sleeves. As of right now they are not sitting flush with the k-member nor are they exactly the same height either. I guess those are my areas of improvement for right now.

-Eric
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
If the sleeve you cut contacts the rack bushing, keeping it from mounting flush with the K-member, you will always be chasing a moving rack. BTDT.
In your case, did you end up just shimming the rack or opting for the MM rear washer kit?

Thanks,

Eric
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
First, I got new sleeves and installed the rack with factory replacement rubber bushings. I didn't upgrade to the new style rack mount until I installed the K-member last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement