seat height? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
seat height?

Guys, I made a decision about the interior stuff... Bought a set of very lightly used Corbeau TRS Wides. I am going with the corbeau brakets/sliders for the drivers seat, but am considering just using the adapters for the pass side. I called a couple places, and one said the adapters would pick up the seat 1/2-3/4", while the other said 1"

Does anyone have any experience with the adapters, and what kind of height increase did you see? From a price/looks/funcionality point of view, would it be worthwhile to save the ~$60 on the sliders for the pass seat?

Down to one '86 GT riding some jackstands, but there's somethin in the works!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I installed a Corbeau FX1 seat, using the Corbeau adapter and slider, and the result was a seating position a couple inches lower than the stock leather seat. Of course the FX1 is a fixed back seat with very little bottom padding. I was pleasantly surprised since I now get to look out of the middle of the windshield instead of the upper third. YMMV since you're talking about a Fox, and a padded, reclining seat.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #3 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
my recaro seats ended up about 2-3" lower than stock. im going to fix that this year....

90 GT black, V2 SI-Trim, Blow-Thru A/A Intercooler
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

hmmm... forgive me, but YMMV isn't ringing any bells for me-whats it mean?

thanks for the opinions from both of you... im not sure how much lower id want my own seat, but im wondering what it would look and ride like with the pass seat up more than the driver...

post #5 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #6 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

thanks man... sorry, i must be mor tired than i realized, haha

post #7 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I think it'll be a minor miracle if either of your Corbeau seats end up lower than stock unless you make custom bracketry or bolt them straight to the floor. My experience spending way more time than I should have had to spend getting the damn things mounted, only to quickly tire of them and go back to stock seats, says that even with the Corbeau slider and no adapter, they'll be at least as high as stock, if not higher.

Additionally, I see no benefit and no reason why you'd want the passenger one higher still.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

thanks MFE... that's exactly the type me response I was looking for. which corbeaus did you have?

post #9 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
TRS's. Can't remember if they were "wide" version or not, but I had to grind the bracket and hammer the floor to mount them. they were best when they were mounted straight to the floor but since it's a 2-driver car that wouldn't work out well.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

The standard Corbeau Fox bracket is the same height as stock. The seats, as MFE noted, are likely either taller than stock or less squishy, resulting a likely higher seating position.

They make a Fox bracket that is 1" shorter than standard.

The adapters are going to add height, period. I don't have one in stock, but IIRC, it is close to 3/4"

HTH,

DaveW

post #11 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info dave... where could I get the shorter brackets? Would it be worth buying the shorter brackets to start with?

thanks!

post #12 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

I am a Corbeau dealer, PM me if you want to order some.

If you have a little mechanical aptitude, you could probably make adapters to use your stock brackets and the Corbeau seats out of some 1/4" thick by 3" wide strap steel from Home Depot.

DaveW
post #13 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Dave, look for a pm from me shortly... I would attempt making brackets out me my stock stuff, but im contemplating selling them all, or hanging onto em im the case I don't care for the corbeaus. Thanks for all your help!

post #14 of 18 Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I am a Corbeau dealer, PM me if you want to order some.

If you have a little mechanical aptitude, you could probably make adapters to use your stock brackets and the Corbeau seats out of some 1/4" thick by 3" wide strap steel from Home Depot.

DaveW
Were you spying on me when I mounted my Corbeaus? Heh, that is EXACTLY how I mounted my Forzas to my stock tracks. Actually I had an SN95 with the power driver seat but a Fox seat track fit perfectly in its place. I saved ~35# over the stock seats. Making the adapters was easy, only change was to drill maybe one extra hole in the stock tracks on each side to get a proper fit.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Glenn, anyway you might have taken some pics of the adapters you made?

If so, shoot em to me at [email protected]

-Thanks!

post #16 of 18 Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedconekiller View Post
Glenn, anyway you might have taken some pics of the adapters you made?

If so, shoot em to me at [email protected]

-Thanks!
I'd like to see also. I finally sourced some manual seat tracks, and this is the next step if I can find a good deal on seats.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Yes, I love Thunderbirds. I am enlightened.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Making the adapters is really quite simple. Total cost for steel and fasteners should be less than $20 and only take an hour or so to fabricate.

Take steel plate ~.375" x 1.250" and cut out 4 pieces as long as the stock seat tracks are spaced wide, from outside to outside of tracks.

Drill 5/16" holes in the plates to match the L to R spacing of the holes in the Corbeau seats, keeping them equal distance from the center point of the plates. (A drill press is best as you can drill all 4 tracks at once, however you can hand drill, it just takes longer.)

Drill another pair of 5/15" holes in each plate to match the L to R spacing of the holes in the stock seats. This will give you 4 plates with 4 holes in each one (i.e. 2 holes near each end).

Using either the front or rear holes of the stock seat track as a starting point, mark each of the stock tracks for drilling to match the F to R spacing of the Corbeau seat holes. (Which hole you use will be dependent on how far you wish the seat to be spaced from the front of the car. I used the rear holes to place the seat further back.)

Drill another set of holes, one in each seat track slider top to allow the adapter to be bolted up.

Using 8 M8x1.25 fasteners (~15mm long*) w/self-locking nuts for each seat, trial fit the adapters to the Corbeau seats and the tracks to the adapters. If all fits well now is the time to prime and paint the adapters. Once paint is fully dry you can reassemble and prepare for installation.

*You may need shorter or longer fasteners, this is an estimate based on my best recollection.

(Note) Make sure you put the bolts through the stock tracks into the adapters in such a manner that you allow adequate clearance for the tracks to slide. If you invert the bolts the threaded ends will strike the slider and prevent proper operation.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I've gone round and round with my corbeau seats. It has been one problem after another, they look great but hardly worth the effort I've had to go through.

Corbeau adapters on stock seat brackets = I can't sit in my sunroof car without the sunroof flipped up to give me enough headroom. Can't physically fit with a helmet.

Corbeau fixed position seat brackets--knees are into the dashboard. If I put the left turn signal on, when I let the clutch out, my knee resets the turn signal.

I just picked up a corbeau sliding bracket, not installed yet. It is slightly lower than a stock seat bracket w/ corbeau adapter, we'll see how much lower.

If it doesn't work out, I'm going to have a custom seat bracket made because the constant bull#### about them being 'stock replacement' is old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement