Anyone running a Deadhead fuel setup? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EDS_5_OH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-31-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (19)
Anyone running a Deadhead fuel setup?

Anyone here running a deadhead fuel setup with their Pro-M EFI? I'll be needing to make some changes to the routing of my lines when I install the new Pro-M Ethanol Sensor and fuel block, so I'll also be removing the fuel regulator out of the engine bay at the same time. Curious if anyone has setup and successfully run a deadhead fuel system with their Pro-M. I know plenty of people that run it with no issues on stock ECU, Holley, Haltech etc. and I also know that Chris isn't a fan of it for some reason as he never elaborated on it. The only side effect I've seen in person on other cars and read about is lower fuel temps which is a plus in my book.

Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-31-2019, 09:50 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
What are the advantages of running a deadhead vs. return style setup?

Thanks
Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
ProCharger D1 and Snow Performance Water/Methanol
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
At idle the deadheaded fuel in the rail just sits there collecting heat where a return system constantly recirculating fuel back to tank and cooler fuel is sent to the injectors.

I asked Chris that very question because he recommended to me a Mallory fpr, which does work great, but the directions say to plumb it in a deadhead style. I did how he instructed. In a series system.

I can imagine fuel getting hot and seeing my pi correction getting fatter. I have yet to experiment with this but it would make fuel plumbing easier.

Mike- finally got all the stuff coming. Work and life got in the way for the past month. I should have everything installed in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-03-2019, 02:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ive never deadheaded a pro-m setup before but every fuel system Ive done in the past 10 years Ive dead headed using the stock ford pcm. Ive never had any problems.

You are mistaken about your assumptions. A dead headed setup has colder fuel temps than a conventional return style. Because of that and not needing as long of a return line is usually the main reasons why most people go dead headed.

On OEM stock dead headed fuel systems the regulator and return line is in the fuel tank (ford trucks and 2011+ coyote mustangs)
where as most custom dead headed setups most people have the regulator usually mounted near the tank and the return line is usually very short.

In those setups you will run cooler fuel temps than a conventional return style setup where the fuel goes through the rails heating up in the process and then returning to the tank heating up all of the fuel in the tank in the process.

In a dead headed setup the fuel doesnt just sit in the rails. It is injected in to the engine at the rate it is needed. At lower RPMs where fuel demand is almost nothing you can see slightly higher fuel rail temps but at mid throttle on up when it matters the most the fuel temps are cooler.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 AM

I understand that would be the case in a pulse modulated system, but wouldn't a traditional in tank pump, with feed and return lines be different?

In a vehicle that was designed from the factory for the system to be deadheaded, I'm sure it's just as effective.

I'm using my Mallory fpr and there is a -8 feed, -8 bypass, -6 output. I'm guessing the -6 would be the deadhead to the rails.

I think this is the kind of fuel system the op was talking about.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-03-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The biggest positive I've seen in a deadhead fuel setup is cooler fuel temps. The cars I've helped to plumb in this fashion used a -10 feed to one side of the regulator, -10 out the other side of the regulator into a Y block. 2ea -8 lines out of the Y block to the back of the fuel rails, a -4 or -6 balance line across the front of the rails (connecting them together, making a loop basically) and a return back to the tank. The FPR was always mounted in the fender area to keep it away from the heat of the engine bay and to keep the vacuum line as short as possible. Although I have seen it mounted back by the fuel tank as well, I just wouldn't want a vacuum line that long. I might play around with this setup since I have to redo the fuel lines anyway.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM

If you have a return to tank from the rails, the it's not a deadhead style. Or did I miss something?

In the Mallory, it's -8 feed through the side,-8 bypass/return to tank through the bottom, and it has 2 outlets that potentially could feed 2 rails. Whether you want to do it that way or not is up to you.

So the outlet ports are "deadheading" into just the rails. Helo- is this what you mean?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-04-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

If you have a return back to the tank, but the rails don't have a connection back to the FPR after going through the rails, it's a type of deadhead system. You can either cap the end of the rails or connect both rails together with a balance line. Either way is still a deadhead.

Second picture below is how I'm currently running my setup, normal return style setup. The first picture, first example shows how we've plumbed other cars. The dotted line across the front of the rail is the "balance" line. It's just a loop between the rails. You can do that or cap the end of the rail. Disregard the second example in the picture, it's not relevant.
Attached Images
File Type: png Deadhead.png (17.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png Return Plumbing.png (79.3 KB, 17 views)
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 AM

Exactly what I meant.

I really don't see a problem with the deadhead style, I've seen a few cars plumbed like that, but I was advised not to to do it.

I can see the fuel getting pretty hot in the rails if the car is idling, but wouldn't be the case under a wot situation. I'm curious to what a real world result would be switching from a series/parallel design to a deadhead would be.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (139)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb302ho View Post
Exactly what I meant.

I really don't see a problem with the deadhead style, I've seen a few cars plumbed like that, but I was advised not to to do it.

I can see the fuel getting pretty hot in the rails if the car is idling, but wouldn't be the case under a wot situation. I'm curious to what a real world result would be switching from a series/parallel design to a deadhead would be.
some know I've had problems with heat in my engine bay.
I'm thinking about trying this dead head type fuel system, subscribing for more info.

88 hatch 427 Dart FordStrokers,Tmoss ported SuperVic, Hi-Port 225's , Freezy custom cam, Pro-M engine management system with cnp,
Aero fuel pump wiring, alt upgraded wiring, Flex-a-Lite 52185 radiator/fan combo, T56 Magnum kit , built 8.8 rear-end 3:73 with 31 spline axles welded 03 Cobra center section.
might be ready to dyno and run it by next summer of 2017,LoL I hope!!
March 2018 new 2018 F150 super cab "Blue Lightning" 2.7 Twin turbo'd 10 speed automatic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Mine is plumbed as shown by Helo in the first picture, first example. My FPR in just inside the engine bay by the passenger fender. My return goes from there back to the tank (-8). My pressure comes from the tank to a -10 into the FPR, out of the FPR -10 to a Y then -8 to each rail with a -6 balance line.

I had a problem with fuel aeration in my tank before I changed to this setup. Not had the problem since.
Helomech74 likes this.

93 LX, Boosted and Braked
post #12 of 14 Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_5_OH View Post
Mine is plumbed as shown by Helo in the first picture, first example. My FPR in just inside the engine bay by the passenger fender. My return goes from there back to the tank (-8). My pressure comes from the tank to a -10 into the FPR, out of the FPR -10 to a Y then -8 to each rail with a -6 balance line.

I had a problem with fuel aeration in my tank before I changed to this setup. Not had the problem since.
I'll be setting up mine pretty much the same way in a couple weeks once I have all my parts together. Only difference is that I'll be moving my FPR out of the engine bay and into the fender area somewhere (Probably where the charcoal canister used to be.) Did you find a FPR with -10 in/out or did you use an -8 to -10 adapter or something? I currently use a Magnafuel FPR with -8 ORB in/out.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helomech74 View Post
I'll be setting up mine pretty much the same way in a couple weeks once I have all my parts together. Only difference is that I'll be moving my FPR out of the engine bay and into the fender area somewhere (Probably where the charcoal canister used to be.) Did you find a FPR with -10 in/out or did you use an -8 to -10 adapter or something? I currently use a Magnafuel FPR with -8 ORB in/out.
I'm running an Aeromotive A1000 with -10 ORB in/out ports and -6 ORB return.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/a1...ass-regulator/

93 LX, Boosted and Braked
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_5_OH View Post
I'm running an Aeromotive A1000 with -10 ORB in/out ports and -6 ORB return.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/a1...ass-regulator/
Thanks. I need a -10 ORB inlets and -08 ORB return. I think I'll just run adapters (-08 ORB to -10 Male flare) on my Magnafuel FPR and see how it does. I'm sure it'll work, but if not I seen that Aeromotive had one that is already -10 inlet and -8 or -10 return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement