Small shot with supercharger - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By husky65

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Small shot with supercharger

Hey guys,

Currently have a stock block/hyper pistons(rebuilt about 2 years /2000 miles ago) 302 with tfs 170 61cc heads, 1 5/8 long tubes, xe264 cam, box r intake and a novi 2000. Pullied for 15-17psi at around 6k, but also have a 10psi at 6k pulley.
Fuel is an aeromotive 340 fuel pump, 3/8 and 6an lines, 60lb injectors, stock regulator. I am also running water meth injection.
Ecu is a Haltech Elite running a crank trigger and LS coils.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I was have toying with the idea of adding a small dry shot (35-50) in the lower rpm ranges to help get the car moving until the novi really kicks in. Something like 3000-4500 or so. I can have the Haltech control it by giving it the 'armed' signal. It will then activate the shot between whatever parameters I put in and will obviously richen the tune at the same time.

Now am I playing with too much fire here, noting the stock block. We haven't done the final tune yet(and I'd like to make my decision before then so I don't have to pay twice), however it made 400rwhp at 8psi before we pulled it due to a leaking meth nozzle connection.

Noting that the max power shouldn't increase as the nitrous would be turned off by then, but would the torque in the lower rpms where the blower is making around 3-4psi be a bit too much?

I don't have any track or power goals, just like playing with stuff and trying different things.

trixter318 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (161)
change that intake if anything and not run 15# on a novi and stock shortblock.. ask me how i know

does the haltech let you run two different modes... maybe run 10# on the street and then get more aggressive at the track?

combo i put together for someone years back... stock '91 refreshed shortblock, out of the box tw and track heat, bbk longtubes and high flow cat pipe, trick flow stage 1 cam and a small vortech (si?) at 11#

475rwhp (very conservative tune)
525rwhp with the water injection (still conservative)

car ran 11.75 @ 124 on a 17" drag radial on a very hot a humid day. this a real street car with ac and all that has survived boston rush hour traffic.

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #3 of 12 Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Garage
I consider myself a bit of a risk taker... i would NOT add juice to what youve already got going. For me, the pistons are the hold up.

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
change that intake if anything and not run 15# on a novi and stock shortblock.. ask me how i know

does the haltech let you run two different modes... maybe run 10# on the street and then get more aggressive at the track?

combo i put together for someone years back... stock '91 refreshed shortblock, out of the box tw and track heat, bbk longtubes and high flow cat pipe, trick flow stage 1 cam and a small vortech (si?) at 11#

475rwhp (very conservative tune)
525rwhp with the water injection (still conservative)

car ran 11.75 @ 124 on a 17" drag radial on a very hot a humid day. this a real street car with ac and all that has survived boston rush hour traffic.
Split block?

I am using a Box R intake for a couple reasons, one being that I will be going a dart 347 or 363 once this block is done and didn't want to buy the intake twice.

I can run multiple tunes on the haltech yes. Max power isn't the drama here, I know I can do a 500rwhp on a safe tune with what I have. I was just contemplating making the curve look a bit more turbo like with the use of a small shot well placed in the rpm range.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdcoupe View Post
I consider myself a bit of a risk taker... i would NOT add juice to what youve already got going. For me, the pistons are the hold up.
So the risk of detonation would increase with a small shot in that rpm range? If I took out a bit of timing while the nitrous was on would the risk be the same as the risk of detonation without nitrous?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky65 View Post
So the risk of detonation would increase with a small shot in that rpm range? If I took out a bit of timing while the nitrous was on would the risk be the same as the risk of detonation without nitrous?
it just seems like too many things going on. if you had better (more forgiving) pistons i would probably give it a shot, but with Boost and meth already being used i would be afraid trying to tune for adding nitrous, the likely hood of ending up with damage before getting it all in sync (tuned) to see any kind of gain would be very high.

on my old stock block HCI 347 with vortech SC trim making around 12#, after adding a wet 100hp shot i dropped a full second ET in the 1/8 mi. BUT, i was overspinning the SC trim to get the boost and it seemed that i was heating the air too much. its my belief that i was seeing more benefit from the cooling effects of the nitrous than the juice itself. Since you already have meth to cool things, you wont see the gain there. also, i was using stock lines, the nitrous kit had its own pump and pickup, it was jetted fat, so where i was a little lean due to fuel system limitations. my nitrous kit helped there as well. you have larger fuel supply and a dry kit. besides, doing what i was doing is a TERRIBLE way to add fuel to a lean motor!

in less words... i just dont think youll see gains before having problems and what gains you will see from that small of a shot wont be worth the time or aggravation.

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-19-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdcoupe View Post
it just seems like too many things going on. if you had better (more forgiving) pistons i would probably give it a shot, but with Boost and meth already being used i would be afraid trying to tune for adding nitrous, the likely hood of ending up with damage before getting it all in sync (tuned) to see any kind of gain would be very high.

on my old stock block HCI 347 with vortech SC trim making around 12#, after adding a wet 100hp shot i dropped a full second ET in the 1/8 mi. BUT, i was overspinning the SC trim to get the boost and it seemed that i was heating the air too much. its my belief that i was seeing more benefit from the cooling effects of the nitrous than the juice itself. Since you already have meth to cool things, you wont see the gain there. also, i was using stock lines, the nitrous kit had its own pump and pickup, it was jetted fat, so where i was a little lean due to fuel system limitations. my nitrous kit helped there as well. you have larger fuel supply and a dry kit. besides, doing what i was doing is a TERRIBLE way to add fuel to a lean motor!

in less words... i just dont think youll see gains before having problems and what gains you will see from that small of a shot wont be worth the time or aggravation.
Thanks for that. Yeah I know what you're saying, maybe a bit too much for the current motor. I might still collect the parts and add it to the dart block pile I have collecting up.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
You will get about double the hp the nos kit say's on a boosted motor. I would run 100% methanol there is about 49% oxygen by weight.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
why not run a looser converter to get your rpms up into higher boost range? sounds like your converter is too tight.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

It's a manual

post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky65 View Post
It's a manual
soooo, its an infinite variable stall.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

ha ha yes i guess you're right.

At the end of the day I wouldn't mind a bit more power in the 3-4k space. I guess later on when I put the dart stroker block in, that should take care of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement