Ford Mustang Forums banner

stripping the bottle...

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  boostdcoupe 
#1 ·
ive got a friend that can re-powdercoat my bottle to match the car (white), but whats the best way to strip the ugle purple ZEX powdercoat thats already on it? ive read that permatex gasket remover or aircraft stripper work well on powder, but i dont want to just make a mess... if it works, thats fine, if its just gonna make a mess and NOT work i need to find another way. any suggestions?

#2 ·
Not sure what NOS and NX use on there bottles, but I just sanded them down(scuffed them pretty much), and basecoat clear coated them black to match my car. They have been done like this over a year, with no problems.

#3 · (Edited)
most of them are powder coated, i used a little aircraft stripper in the spray can... it didnt bubble it up, BUT it did loosen it enough that i could scrape it off with a body filler applicator. ive got a friend that is gonna re-powder coat it for me black and im gonna get a new NOS sticker for it.

#4 ·
update: well, the stripper worked like a charm! once i got the middle stripped, i started working on the bottom, then came back to the top, in the end, got it all cleaned. i had to use a single edge razor blade to knock some of it loose, and there was a little left in the stamped letters around the top, so i did another application and used a wire brush to get down in the stampings... all the purple is GONE!

#6 ·
I didn't get any pics stripped, it went straight to the PC man! But yeah, it looked cool... I just didn't want the upkeep of a polished bottle, so black powder coat it got, turned out beautiful! Gonna order a new NOS chrome decal for it now and I'll have the only black NOS bottle. :king:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.