Getting the Facts.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Getting the Facts..

Getting The Facts

Getting the facts is going to be a series of technical explanations to better educate you with factual and safe information. I have noticed a new trend on different forums I visit. Many of the more experienced members have moved on and there are a lot of first timers that have never used nitrous before or have just started to use nitrous. I feel that a lot of poor information and advice are given to these people who do not have enough knowledge to know what is correct or wrong. Due to the very limited amount of free time I have these days I am hoping that these technical explanations will give you the tools and knowledge to better educate yourself and others as they learn. My mission is to better educate you, give you the knowledge to better educate others, and teach you how certain products work and why they should or should not be used.

My plans are to try to make a technical post a week. I know with how busy we stay there may be times my post are a little late. Regardless, look for it.

I have a list of things I plan to cover. I plan on covering some very simple things to some very technical things. I promise you will learn something reading my technical explanations.

If you have something you would like covered in great detail please feel free to post in this area telling me what you want to have covered or shoot me a pm. I will work it into my line up.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Getting The facts Part 1

Thank you for taking time to read this week’s technical post. Before getting into the more technical explanations we are going to start at the basics and make sure everyone understands what Nitrous Oxide is and how it works. This way they can follow along as we proceed and understand. I am going to try to keep this as simple as possible not over complicating it.
What is Nitrous Oxide?

Nitrous Oxide can be referred to as a non flammable cryogenic gas, oxidizer, compound or molecule. Nitrous Oxide is 36% oxygen by weight and is stored as a compressed liquid. Nitrous Oxide is composed of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen.

To better understand Nitrous Oxide you should know the definitions of its chemical make up. So I will explain it here.

Cryogenic gases are gases that have been liquefied by lowering temperature, usually to a temperature under about -100¬įC.

Oxidizers are substance’s that release oxygen or other oxidizing material. The release can be accompanied by the production of heat.

Compounds are a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight.

Molecules are two or more atoms joined together by chemical bonds.

Atoms are the basic building blocks of ordinary matter. Atoms can join together to form molecules, which in turn form most of the objects around you.

Grades of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide exists in two grades. U.S.P and Nitrous Plus

U.S.P is a medical grade nitrous oxide and is not available to the public.

Nitrous Plus is nitrous oxide that contains sulphur dioxide and is available to the public. Sulphur dioxide is added to prevent substance abuse.

Both grades of Nitrous are usable in an automobile for performance reasons. However since Nitrous Oxide in its purest form is a medical grade it is against the law to purchase or use for racing purposes. Odds are your local speed shop is filling your bottle with Nitrous Plus.

The Boiling and Combustion of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide is stored as a liquid under pressure and turns into a gas once it expands. This expansion is referred to as boiling. Nitrous boils at 129.1* below zero. As the gas enters the air intake it significantly reduces the air intake temperatures. This cooler temperature means the air is denser. This is a great benefit; however it is not the reason for the main increase in power. (Many boosted applications use nitrous just for cooling the air intake and to absorb heat soak.)

The main increase in power comes from the ability to burn more fuel from a controlled combustion process. Let me explain.
As the nitrous enters the combustion chamber it will break down separating the nitrogen and oxygen molecules. This happens due to the fact that Nitrous breaks down at temperatures of 565-575*F. The combustion temperatures greatly exceed this temperature. As the bond breaks apart the nitrogen acts as a heat absorbent and the oxygen increases the ability to burn more fuel. It is important to feed the oxygen with the correct amount of fuel needed in order to avoid a lean condition. With the increase in the amount of fuel being burned it will increase the cylinder pressure upon compression stroke. As a result the piston will be returned at a faster rate than normal. (Oxygen + Fuel + Cylinder pressure = HP)

Controlling Detonation

Detonation can lead to engine failure. To avoid detonation controlling the combustion process is very important. This is done by controlling the burn rate through air fuel and timing.

Controlling the air fuel is achieved by providing the increase in oxygen with the amount of fuel needed. By providing the correct amount of fuel it will avoid a lean condition that causes heat in the cylinder.

Retarding timing to control cylinder pressure is important to avoid pre mature combustion, other wise known as detonation.

Over View

What you should have learned from this.

1. Nitrous Oxide may be referred to as a cryogenic gas, oxidizer, compound or molecule.
2. Nitrous is not flammable by its self.
3. Nitrous Oxide is 36% oxygen by weight.
4. Nitrous Oxide is composed of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen.
5. Nitrous breaks down at temperatures of 565-575*F.
6. Nitrous Oxide is stored as a compressed liquid that becomes a gas once it expands.
7. The expansion from liquid to gas is referred to as the boiling point.
8. Nitrous Boils at 129.1* below zero.
9. Nitrous is available in two grades. U.S.P and Nitrous Plus.
10. Oxygen + Fuel + Cylinder pressure = HP
11. Detonation is controlled by air fuel and peak cylinder pressure.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
hey dave thanks for posting. Been playing with the "mystery gas" for a while now. not wanting to step on any toes at all here, but maybe would like to add to the last one on detonation as they may not understand what causes peak cylinder pressure...

Detonation is controlled by timing-

1991 coupe
stock bottom end, c4, nitrous,
1.43 [email protected] [email protected] revlimiter at 8.4
X275 BBFN2O 1>2 [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for posting. You are in no way steping on toes. These post are intended for this reason.

I plan on getting further in depth to discussing timing in the future. This first post is just an opening to explain the basics and as the post progress each week we will get alot more into more technical explanations. This will give the new people learning time to follow alone and understand what we are talking about in the future.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM

i don't post a bunch but i frequently read.... kinda got started here. and the way i played with nitrous then isn't even in the same ball park with the way i use it now.

I no longer see it as a dangerous power adder that is inconsistent or hard on parts! Knowledge is power!

1991 coupe
post #6 of 21 Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Anyone seeing N2O as dangerous or inconsistent is ignorant and it is FAR from the truth...

89 LX 5.0: 342 Performer 5.0's, GT-40 [email protected] & [email protected] on 100 shot
Monster Miata: 5.0 stock motor,times soon
LSB e46 M3 Vert: [email protected]
post #7 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 AM

its funny what people learn as truth compared to the myths they've heard! and it's usually people telling stories about their "buddies!"

1991 coupe
post #8 of 21 Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
dave,
great info and waiting for more!!!! thanks.

1988 GT TT project, 1988 UHP NOVI2k coupe.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
great to see you doing this series dave, no doubt it will be helpfull to all, ac

87 GT, Keith Craft Racing 427 Dart
2003 mach1, garage queen
post #10 of 21 Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I'am just getting into n20 and already learned something, thankx for all the great info.

post #11 of 21 Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 PM

I guess I could add a bit of info...

"Nawse" has no known philology so...

89 LX 5.0: 342 Performer 5.0's, GT-40 [email protected] & [email protected] on 100 shot
Monster Miata: 5.0 stock motor,times soon
LSB e46 M3 Vert: [email protected]

Last edited by SKYWLKR; 07-06-2009 at 12:01 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Come on Dave..dont leave us hanging.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

I want. I promise. We have been tied up with the R&D on a fe wnew products. Ill be ontop of this as the week goes on.
Dave
post #14 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
hey dave been looking at the nitrous outlet kits lately can u shoot me a pm so i can ask you a few questions about the kits
post #15 of 21 Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
More facts!! I'm just toying with the idea of nitrous oxide and I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I start buying parts.

and... yes I know I've dragged this up, but it's a sticky anyway.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 AM

What ever happened to this?
post #17 of 21 Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
IDK, ive wondered the same thing.
Dave and his crew over there are very helpful though... but i do with this thread got cleaned up and back on track.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #18 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 12:24 AM

Hello everyone, just quick questions what are de differences between wet and dry NOS kits?

Thanks Mike
post #19 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
dry kit only has a nitrous solenoid and depends on the fuel injectors to supply the extra fuel...
wet kit has both a nitrous and a fuel solenoid and it adds the necessary fuel through the nozzle.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #20 of 21 Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Thank you

Thank You Arc
post #21 of 21 Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
great info thanks for sharing

crown vic police interceptor
5.4 2V N/A 390rwhp 385rwtq 5 speed manual
13.0 @ 105 60' 1.8 full weight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhZ8s6xn1g
Sponsored Links