Kid from Michigan - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Kid from Michigan

Hi. My name's Joe, and I'm terrible at introductions.
I'm 18 (Well, on Sunday, anyway), and this is my grandfather's '89 GT.

He bought it July 22, 1993, from Red Holman Pontiac in Westland, MI. Fun fact: He also got the 1987 Grand National he has from the same place, and the Mustang's first owner lived (lives?) right down the street from him.
While the engine hasn't been messed with save for a 65mm throttlebody and the classic "holes in the airbox". It's mostly trans and whatnot.
It has a Hurst shifter with the shortest throw I've ever seen (which may not be saying much, since I'm a kid and the only other stick shift I've ever felt is the one in my Dakota), a 5th gear and reverse lockout he himself designed, first and second gear were swapped out (for what, I don't know, and he was only told they were "stronger gears" when the trans was rebuilt), and a 3.55 rear gear.

He removed the mufflers, so it absolutely screams going down the road, and makes for one of the best sounding WOT notes I've ever heard. It also has subframe connectors (he put them on after the chassis twisted a bit- you can see a ripple in the rear quarter panel if you know where it is in person), and 275/60/15 rear tires.

All in all, I adore this car, and I've been bugging him to let me drive it. "In time" is his answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

nice clean foxbody you have their.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Spring is here, and a few things are coming to the car.

First: I ordered the headlights, weatherstripping for the headlights, and ashtray lid repair kit last night.
Second: I was GOING to learn how to drive it yesterday, but the alternator crapped out. Pap's already got a spare, so in a few days or so we'll replace it and I'll learn how to drive it.

1989 Mustang GT- grandfather's car, bolt ons.
I love cheesegraters and turbines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Welcome to the forum kid.It's nice to see young people getting into the old cars.Tell your grandfather I have a set of SS Flowmasters that would make that car sound great. Roger
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the offer, but I think (and Pap would agree) that it sounds perfect as it is. Very unique.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Man, what a difference!

post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Yeah, headlights are a nice way to clean up the look of your old fox. Give that thing a wash!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, so, I haven't posted all year. I drove it around a lot during the summer, and let's just say, I'm in love. I've yanked the front plate, I'd detailed it (have to do it again in the spring of course- it sits outside, no garage space due to other toys), and never posted pics. So, here we go! I'd like to make a dedicated thread for it, but since it's not really a build, I'm not sure where to.

"I'm Always In Trouble, But It's So Much Fun!" That sticker's been on there longer than I've been alive. I don't ever plan on removing it. It's part of the car to me at this point.

ALSO: I got a radio for Christmas for it (From what I've been told, without wanting to go into detail, the car's going to be left to me when "that day" comes, hence why I got a radio for a car that isn't technically mine yet.)

And yes, I've ordered the speakers. Going with Kenwood 6.5 2 ways in the door, Kenwood 6x8 3 ways in the back, and Kicker tweeters in the dash. From what Dad says (having had a similar setup minus tweeters in a '95 F-150 years ago, which I definitely remember kicking ass), it'll sound great.

I also have to get a pair of rear tires for it. I ran the DOT codes a while back. FIRST WEEK OF JAN. 1998! They're older than me. I'm thinking Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Ts. I like the tread pattern, and the fact that they have a nice, smooth sidewall on the blackwall side.

Oh yeah, I'm going to order the Marti Report soon. Given that the door states Feb '89, I want to know exactly when the car's 30th "birthday" is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement