`85 GT - AOD conversion, 4.10's, Flows, etc - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
`85 GT - AOD conversion, 4.10's, Flows, etc

What we have here is a 1985 Ford Mustang GT with 142,609 miles on the odometer. I'm not 100% sure the mileage is accurate as this car has an aftermarket Ford Motorsport 140mph speedometer in it. So whether or not they reset the new speedo to match the original mileage, I cannot be sure. I took this car in trade from a buddy of mine when he bought my `93 LX. He wanted to do a twin turbo set up and the fuel injected `93 is much easier to do it to than the carbureted `85. Anyways, this GT was originally equipped with the 5.0L HO carbureted engine (roller cam equipped), T-5 5 speed transmission and 7.5" traction lock rear axle. The rear axle has been replaced with an 8.8" rear from a `90 Mustang that was also fitted with a set of FMS 4.10 gears and the trac-loc unit repacked. The transmission has also been converted to an AOD automatic overdrive transmission from a later Mustang that was rebuilt and a shift kit installed. These mods were done several years ago, so I am unsure of the mileage since the changeover. The engine is the original engine though, with the only modification to it being a set of FMS 1.6 ratio roller rockers. Outside the engine, it has had an AC delete added, a new 3-core HD radiator and a Fram AirHog air filter (K&N equivalent). The exhaust headers are stock, but the exhaust has been replaced with a BBK Off-Road X-pipe (no catalytic converters) and a 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust system. This car sounds absolutely incredible with this set up. The exhaust system is less than a year old. Mechanically, the car is in great shape. It runs great with no odd noises. Only thing I found was the occasional "hiccup" from the carburetor if you stomp on it at low speeds. This is pretty common as these factory Holley carbs get some miles on them, but most people replace the factory emissions bogged unit with an aftermarket Holley or Edelbrock 4bbl carb anyway to get better throttle response and quite a bit more power. This car is ready to drive though. Makes great power and shifts firm, but smoothly.
Inside, the car is in pretty nice shape still. The Recaro style seats on these cars are usually all worn out, but these are in very nice condition. The side bolsters are not all torn up like they usually are. Back seat is in great shape with the exception of one tiny hole on the driver side seat bottom (looks like a cigarette burn hole). Carpets are not all torn up, but could use a good cleaning. Former owner had `93 Cobra floormats in it, which he took out before I got it, so the outer edges of the carpet show the most dirt. Nothing a quick shampooing won't fix. As you can see in the pics, someone hacked the door panels to install a pair of speakers. However, since the pics were taken, these have been replaced with a nice set of panels that are not hacked up. The rear side panels also have some older aftermarket speakers installed in them. There is no radio in it though, it was removed before I got the car. Only real problems inside are that the headliner is starting to fall and will need to be redone (typical of all `80's Mustangs) and both power door lock solenoids are frozen (also common, but cheap to fix).

Exterior wise, the car is also in very nice shape. Exterior modifications include late model quarter windows (trim is sun faded as always), hatch from a `93 LX that was also black and matches perfectly (original hatch was rusted), `93 LX tail lights and new "dew wipes" on the doors. The factory paint is starting to show it's age. While it still looks nice, there are a few spots where the sun has started to burn the paint, and some "water stains" on the drivers door. A few "spider cracks" in the paint can be found here and there too. As you can see in the pics, the body side moulding is also faded a bit. Rust wise, it's pretty clean. PLEASE NOTE that the white lines that look like scrapes on the sides of the car in the pics are NOT. They are merely the reflection of the white lines painted on the ground of the parking lot I photographed the car at. Only rust I could find was the usual rust on the bottoms of the doors (not rotted to crap like usual, but there is some rust down there), and the usual surface pitting starting around the windshield. The floors and framerails looked nice and clean as did under the hood. Having owned many Mustangs in the past, I know what to look for in terms of accident damage, and I can be 99% certain that this car was never hit. No wrinkles in the aprons up front or bend in the rails assure me that the front end is still as straight as when it came from the factory.

Overall, the car is in very good condition, especially given the mileage. I have driven this car myself several times and it runs and drives excellent. I would not hesitate driving this car anywhere. If you know Mustangs, you know the `85-86 GT's are VERY hard to find still in nice shape, and are one of the more desirable years being the last of the "four eyed" cars, but the first with the roller motors. Here is your chance to get a ready to drive future classic that still runs its a$$ off with the best of them. A little TLC and this baby would be ready for the track, the boulevard or the local car shows.

Asking $2900 obo. Sorry, no trades. Located in Norristown, PA (just outside Philadephia). Thanks

Bug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

More pics:

post #3 of 5 Old 03-31-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

bump

I can be contacted at (610)960-5428. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
OK, condensed version: Does it look, run, and drive good, fairly rust free, and any major issues?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chance of AF over there!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
OK, condensed version: Does it look, run, and drive good, fairly rust free, and any major issues?
All that was already answered in the ad. Regardless though, the car was sold this morning. Thanks

Bug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement