2016 F150 Coyote Swap in a 67 Mustang Fastback - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tjm73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
2016 F150 Coyote Swap in a 67 Mustang Fastback

I’m new to the coyote world, currently building a 67 Mustang fastback (just took off of the rotisserie), and picked up a super low mileage 2016 F150 coyote. Next step is to get it to fit between the shock towers, and prep the engine for install. Looking for info on parts needed for the install and any key points that would make life easier as I attempt my fist coyote swap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Familiarize yourself with the differences between the 2015+ coyote from a Mustang as opposed to one from a F150

post #3 of 24 Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Didn’t realize there was a different firing order... So it looks like I need to replace the cams, front cover, and oil pump gears. Any key points for the cam replacement? Are there any bolts that need to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I've read that your tuner can change the firing order in the electronics if you want to retain the truck firing order/cams. Truck firing order is the same as the 302/351W BTW.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Get yourself the service manual, the one from Ford, it will tell you which bolts need to be replaced and which ones can be retained. It also has wiring diagrams. It's possible that the timing order differences are taking into account by the engine wiring harness (if your engine came with the engine harness). You'll need to buy both the Mustang and F150 manuals to compare though. It might be easier to just swap in Mustang cams and engine harness (if different) though.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-29-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I’ll start with the service manual. I’ve already installed the AJE front K member and trimmed the shock towers, just need to find some headers that will fit. I’m planning to use a Tremec 5 speed with cable clutch, has anyone had clearance issues with the TKO?
post #7 of 24 Old 07-01-2018, 10:41 PM

Just remembered as I had seen it mentioned on another forum that the intake manifold of 2015+ coyotes have the controls for the intake runner valves at the back of the manifold. You'll need to double check clearance to firewall.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 AM

The TKO is not designed to be shifted above about 6200 rpm. Says so right in the product book on the website. The 2016 F150 engine hits max hp at 5750 so it should be ok. If you convert to full Mustang spec, you might have shifting issues at the Mustang's rated peak of 6500 rpm.

Page 6

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TR...erformance.pdf
jamessr23 likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I’ve got cams, timing cover, and hardware on the way. I’m thinking that I might as well change oil pump gears while I have it torn down, but there are several options out there - Any recommendations?
post #10 of 24 Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I didn't see if you acquired the mustang engine harness, but it's different as well. Then you have to look at the oil filter adaptor as well. There is a lot of small differences that some people don't know. If you plan on the gear change, first ask if you are going to ever put a supercharge on it, or if you ever intend on revving it up to 7k then I would say do the gear change, but make sure you get the correct ones. Ford changed the thickness of the f150 to gt but they are a little different in diameter. So make sure you get the right ones.. gt gears don't fit in f150 housing. Don't know if you read any of my posts but I had to do a lot of research that many people didn't know about, so if you anything pm me, I'm not on as much.

post #11 of 24 Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM

If he switches to Mustang 5.0 pill pump with TSS gears the F150 pump differences shouldn't matter. Right? Or wrong? I don't know, but I am curious.

Can you the 5.0 run the GT500 oil pump? Supposed to be the best OEM pump housing. With the TSS gears it is supposed to be the strongest setup. Last I read anyway.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Didn’t realize the wire harness was also different, I’ll add that to the list. I’ve read the gears are the same in the Gen 2 engines. As far as supercharging, doubtful, but I’ve read of so many gear failures, figured it was cheap insurance while it’s apart and out of the car. I’ve seen many different vendors for gears, wondering if anyone has and any luck or problems with one or the other?
post #13 of 24 Old 07-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Older mod motor stuff wil not retro fit to the coyote. He can switch to mustang stuff no problem, but I thought I read a while back that there was a slight difference in gear thickness. Maybe that was for gen1's.

You need to look at the oil filter housing you will find two sensors compared to gt's one sensor.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Update... Tasca ford and MMR parts came in, upgraded oil pump gears and crank sprocket. I’ve swapped in the mustang cams, used ARP bolts. Now, it seems the cams are clocked different than the phasers? So I’m guessing the phasers are also different?
post #15 of 24 Old 08-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Wondering what you ever came up with the phasers? Had a chance last night to really think about it, and it makes sense that they would be a little different, but just wanted to make sure. By the way you didn't forget to change the filters over to the new cams that are located at the front of all of them?
post #16 of 24 Old 09-29-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

So I talked to the ford tech, they said exhaust phasers were different so I just went ahead and ordered a chain and phaser kit. I’ve got the engine all back together, test fitting the engine in the car this weekend. I rotated the crank and few times and checked the tops of the pistons with a bore scope just in case...
post #17 of 24 Old 09-29-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

And I did install the new filters...
post #18 of 24 Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I would cut the shock towers out and put a mustang 2 type suspension in. Next I would throw away all the factory harness and buy the frpp ecu and harness. You will save a lot of time and headache.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 PM

You say you are installing a coyote 5.0 in a '67? Did you trim the shock towers? If so, does the engine fit with the trimmed stock shock towers, and can the stock master cylinder still be used? Or did you buy an aftermarket front suspension? What about steering? How are you going to use a rear sump oil pan like the coyote has with the stock steering linkage?

I have a '69 fastback I'm interested in doing a swap like this, but the only easy solution I have been able to come up with is a mustang II front suspension conversion, or some other aftermarket conversion.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceallday2 View Post
You say you are installing a coyote 5.0 in a '67? Did you trim the shock towers? If so, does the engine fit with the trimmed stock shock towers, and can the stock master cylinder still be used? Or did you buy an aftermarket front suspension? What about steering? How are you going to use a rear sump oil pan like the coyote has with the stock steering linkage?

I have a '69 fastback I'm interested in doing a swap like this, but the only easy solution I have been able to come up with is a mustang II front suspension conversion, or some other aftermarket conversion.
I'm doing a swap into a 67 coupe, running AJE front suspension with shock towers trimmed. I'm running 88 ford ranger master cylinder (manual) and it clears by about 1/8". Steering linkage was modified to fit with the foxbody rack & pinion.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
I'm doing a swap into a 67 coupe, running AJE front suspension with shock towers trimmed. I'm running 88 ford ranger master cylinder (manual) and it clears by about 1/8". Steering linkage was modified to fit with the foxbody rack & pinion.
How much did you have to trim the shock towers? A little from the top about halfway down (old school way) or basically remove the bottom portion leaving only a little at the top?

I would like to swap to a coyote without buying the aftermarket suspension. Canton makes a front sump oil pan for a coyote motor for use in the older chassis. I just need to know if the stock shock tower can be trimmed enough to install the coyote motor and still retain stock front suspension.
post #22 of 24 Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
How much did you have to trim the shock towers? A little from the top about halfway down (old school way) or basically remove the bottom portion leaving only a little at the top?

I would like to swap to a coyote without buying the aftermarket suspension. Canton makes a front sump oil pan for a coyote motor for use in the older chassis. I just need to know if the stock shock tower can be trimmed enough to install the coyote motor and still retain stock front suspension.
If I was going through the trouble of installing a Coyote engine in a 67 Mustang, the least of my worries would be retaining the stock front suspension. I mean, really? Are you also keeping the stock drum brakes? I don't get it.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #23 of 24 Old 11-25-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
If I was going through the trouble of installing a Coyote engine in a 67 Mustang, the least of my worries would be retaining the stock front suspension. I mean, really? Are you also keeping the stock drum brakes? I don't get it.
The stock front suspension is adequate for what I am going to do with the car. It is not going to be a race car of any type, and the drum brakes can very easily be converted to disc.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:

I cut as much as i could, but you could probably get away doing less. Not sure though if you could leave the stock upper control arm, maybe. The stock steering box might cause issues depending on exhaust you use. I could send you pics if you want to pm me your phone #.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement