94 Cobra Swap Opinions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
94 Cobra Swap Opinions

Hello Corral, I am new to the forums and am looking for opinions on motor swaps into my 94 Cobra. The current motor in the car is a bolt on 302 with about 250,000 miles on it and is beginning to show its age and am looking for more from the car.

My goals for this build are as follows:
400-500 rwhp
Semi-Daily Driveable
Preferably all motor but not opposed to power adders on a budget
Occasional Track use
No juice
Automatic Transmission

Routes I have considered:
4.6l 4V DOHC Teksid Block (friend offered me an entire Mark 8 LSX for $300 that is running and drivable!)
351w to 408 stroker motor was also an option but drivability dwindles in push-rods after 450whp

The 408 stroker is the more direct bolt up swap but requires machining, kit, and general rebuild.
The 4.6 DOHC is a larger motor and will require some creativity to fit it around brake booster, k-member, and a few other odds and ends.

I will be swapping k-members regardless I think just to lighten up the front end. I was entertained by the thought of a Terminator or Mark 8 swap because of the tameness of the modular motor at low RPM levels during normal driving but can be an absolute animal almost instantly without having to completely rebuild the motor but the swap is somewhat complicated. The selling points of the 408w was the torque of a push-rod motor and the ability to build 400 hp without using power adders just giving me money to spend elsewhere on the car but this comes at the cost of drivability. I will be driving this to work upon occasion and as a weekend track and cruise car. I will be building or rebuilding my trans to withstand this amount of power with either a shift kit and stall converter or a ratchet shifter/slap stick. I am currently awaiting basic training for the Coast Guard so over the next few months I will be fully planning this build so when I return I can begin executing it. I am not looking to rush this build and am in no hurry. I am not afraid of labor. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
1. Coyote or ecoboost will give you the best balance of DD & fun.

2. OHV engines are great, but anything tame enough to use for a DD will not keep up with a DI modern sedan.

3. Have you considered an electric conversion?

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Given the engine platforms you're considering, you might want to move your post to another forum; from the Moderators -- "This section is for non-Ford powered FORD vehicle discussions. LSX, BBC, etc. Pertains to FORD bodies with non-Ford drivetrains." I've found this forum quite helpful during my swap.

Having had both a 5.0L motor and, now, an LS3 in mine --- I couldn't ever go back to a pushrod Ford motor. In my opinion, no comparing these power plants in terms of refinement, smoothness and reliable output. LS3 head/shoulders better. Just keep in mind the physical size of the 4V and Coyote motors - lots more room using any of the pushrod options.

Michael Yount - Charlotte, NC - 82 Volvo 242 - 6.2L; '17 Mazda3; '16 CrossTrek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement