5.3 turbo swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
5.3 turbo swap

Ok after much thought and going back and forth.. I'm putting a turbo 5.3 in my 98 gt. Built rear end already, getting the 5.3 with 80k miles this weekend. Swapping to a tube k member while I'm there, but I have a few odds and ends questions.
Solid motor mounts or another type?
Should I use the stock truck heads or get different heads?
Auto or manual? I hate losing my man pedal, but I know a built auto would be quicker.
What should I do with the steering and brakes or should I leave them alone?
Using arp rod bolts and head studs.. Anything else I should do while it's out?
And what kind of badge should I get?!
Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
As always, listing your goals will help responses. What do YOU want? There is no single way to build these cars.

Built Ford tough with all kinds of stuff!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Well goals are really just to have a quick street car. I want a cross between clean and functional. Mid to high tens, on a budget, and be able to pop the hood at the local meet every Saturday. So plans were a junkyard 5.3 with a cx racing turbo for now. Quarter mile times will come later with this setup..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
do the ls7/9 head gaskets, id do an auto with a ptc converter. There are plenty of local guys to have build a tranny for ya. Also Hooken Chassis Racecars can build you a kmember set up for an ls if you dont have one yet. not an ls guy myself but am friends with a few fast ls guys in kc.

2001 Bullitt Mustang GT [email protected] stock...need to run with the new setup 4.10s, bigs and littles, and prochamber
1989 Mustang Lx 5.0 - under the Knife...70mm turbo build
2015 F150 - 5.0 FX4 Sport
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast895ohstang View Post
do the ls7/9 head gaskets, id do an auto with a ptc converter. There are plenty of local guys to have build a tranny for ya. Also Hooken Chassis Racecars can build you a kmember set up for an ls if you dont have one yet. not an ls guy myself but am friends with a few fast ls guys in kc.
I got a price quote from hooken for a k member, really good price. As for the auto, I was thinking about building a th400 (I build trannys for a living). Know any mustang guys around here with LS swaps? Btw, go to any meets or shows here locally? Need to find some more local mustang guys lol

post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Got my engine last night. Less than 60k miles, compete engine. Tons of extras lol including all the accessories. What should I look into for the computer side of this?

post #7 of 7 Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary_lee1991 View Post
I got a price quote from hooken for a k member, really good price. As for the auto, I was thinking about building a th400 (I build trannys for a living). Know any mustang guys around here with LS swaps? Btw, go to any meets or shows here locally? Need to find some more local mustang guys lol
Skinnies and I do the Mustang Fbody meet every year. We paid out $4,000 to the heads up winner. He has a low 8 sec ls fox. im friends with a few ls swapped mustangs, most are either turbo or nitrous guys.

2001 Bullitt Mustang GT [email protected] stock...need to run with the new setup 4.10s, bigs and littles, and prochamber
1989 Mustang Lx 5.0 - under the Knife...70mm turbo build
2015 F150 - 5.0 FX4 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement