Another Fox coupe with a 2jzgte - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Another Fox coupe with a 2jzgte

I have a Build thread over at supraforums, but thaught I would post it up here as well.
Hello guys. As I don't post many build threads I will start off with my apologies as to the poor quality of this build thread. So please bear with me :gapteeth:

History: After the years of owning supra's (mk2,mk3 and mk4) and modifying them to various HP levels then getting into drag racing with my old mid 9 second Sc300. I decided to change it up a bit and put the beloved 2jz into a Mustang. Since my days in the military, I have always loved the fox body and the coupe in particular. I picked up a 1989 Coupe about 8 hours away from my home and after purchasing, drove it all the way back home. The v8 was underpowered but got surprisingly good gas mileage (28mpg) on the highway.

The car was pretty much stock apart from a pair of flowmaster mufflers and a 5 lug conversion. After daily driving the car for a few months one day after work a piece of metal decided to lodge itself in the oil pump causing the distributor oil pump drive shaft to twist and snap. Once I seen that there was no oil pressure, I decided to drive it into my work and put a manual gauge on it to verify there was indeed no oil pressure. Sure enough there was none.

Without hesitation and desire to fix the old tired 5.0, 4 hours later the motor and trans were out. Car sat in front of my home for almost 2 years as I had no time to work on it as I was building/tuning other friends cars. Fast forward to 3 months or so ago, I finally blocked out 2 months in my schedule to work on my own stuff.

Anyhow onto the pictures. Here she is sitting in front of my home.

New heater core and firewall holes filled in where a/c comes through and a few small other holes. All prepped for paint.

Engine bay painted and motor test fit.

Decided to build a header for it ( my first time)

ETS 5" intercooler mounted, Modified Ebay Greddy replica intake and I/c piping started

TMCGT04 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mk3 radiator (due to height requirements), valve cover 10an fittings welded and chambered breather catch can fabbed and mounted also 4" stainless downpipe fitted.

Since I will be running a pair of IS300 fans, and due to my header the stock alternator location was off limits. Since I am not running a/c the alternator went in its place. I may get some questions on this part, I will go into some detail. I went with an AC delco 170 amp alternator which is a duty cycle PCM controlled alternator. Since I work at an automotive shop during the day, I have had the luxury of loading up an 2007 Escalade with one of our old dynosour carbon pile charging system tester. The escalade alternator remarkable puts out 95 amps at a 550rpm idle and 168 amps at 1500rpm. Since I will be running twin Walbro e85 400's and IS300 fans, I knew this alternator was up to the task. And since its OEM equipment it made me feel even better about putting it on. If there is no duty cycle input into the field circuit of the alternator, it will by default charge at 13.8v which is right where I wanted it for the time being.

Onto engine building pics. Bottom end consists of a set of Carrollo HD rods with Carr bolts, .020 over CP 10:1 pistons with upgraded 200 wall wrist pins, Titan Billet mains, ACL race bearings, arp main studs.

150wall vs 200 wall

Endyn CNC cylinder head and GSC S1 cams

post #3 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Manifold, downpipe and turbo hotside back from coating.

Some Titanium turbo manifold 12 point bolts I picked up.

Engine dressed up and ready to go in

Its In!!

Aluminum exhust components and exhust finished ( entire aluminum exhaust weights right around 20lbs)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Trans fitted, back up lamps wired and functional, braded clutch line installed

Currently the car runs and drives, I had taken it on a 30 mile drive to check for any issues. Other than no vehicle speed signal to the AEM v2, everything is functioning perfectly. The brakes weren't working to my liking so I removed the brake pedal assy and located the master cylinder push rod a little higher to the pivot point on the pedal. Works much better now and due to the Cobra 13" front rotors and calipers as well as the cobra cobra 8.8 disc brake rear end, it stops rather well. I plan on taking it out to a 1/2 Mile roll race event here in October. Need to get it finished so I can get the tune and speed based boost control dialed in before the event :nervous:

The car is being torn down for paint currently. I should be posting some pics of that progress as well. Here is a video of the car at idle shortly before I had taken it out for a spin. At the time of this video, the car had a total run time of 15 mins and this was the first time I had gotten it up to operating temp.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Once engine and trans were in, it was time to measure and have a drive shaft made. Ran into a problem as we wanted to run a 1350 u-joint on both ends. I got ahold of a 1" piece of billet aluminum and had a good buddy/machinist make me an adapter from the Getrag flange to a Spicer 1350 flange, He went above and beyond as to make it centered to .001!!

Twin Walbro e85 400's in the stock tank
post #6 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Battery box. Mounted a summit racing box with a pair of Bosch 75amp relays for fuel pumps. I know the relays are over kill, but it makes me feel better since I will be trying to get everything out of these two pumps.
post #7 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Spent the last 4 days doing body work to the rear of the car. My trunk and rear bumper was in bad shape, so I found a local guy that had a ton of parts. Picked up a white bumper and trunk. The trunk looked decent when I checked it out, but after fitting the trunk and starting on the body work it was a different story. The trunk was still in better shape overall than my old trunk lid but after checking for dents, I found about 10-15 small dents that 90% of which I did not see when it was white. Anyhow spent allot of time but I think I got it pretty straight. The rear quarters weren't too bad, but I had previously pulled the rear fenders out about 1/2" to fit the Fikse wheels and 315 Toyo Dr's. Spend a good amount of time getting the rear fender arches back into shape. I should be laying down some primer next few days. Wish me luck!

post #8 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Shot the majority of the car today. Quite a bit of orange peel, but I plan on rubbing and cutting it down once the paint hardens. Now onto the fenders, Hood, Trunk and refinishing the front and back window mouldings. Ordered new weatherstriping for the entire car along with new door drip rails and window channels.

Lawrence
post #9 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (23)
Ben around these cars a while and love seeing somthing new even know I would never do it lol

Nice work
post #10 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I love it!!! Probably the coolest swap for these cars

post #11 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (36)
Very cool swap. Do you have any ideas or expectations on the RWHP/TQ #'s?
post #12 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemyliver View Post
Very cool swap. Do you have any ideas or expectations on the RWHP/TQ #'s?
Thanks! It should make right around 1100whp and 900Tq. Those are the numbers that I hope to make. Should get it on the dyno after a little street tuning. Hope to have some numbers before the 1/2 mile roll race event on Oct 6th.

Lawrence
post #13 of 39 Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Interesting swap.

How are you going to seal the tank cover?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 39 Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
this car is so awesome!

you need to get this thing into grudge racing. if you can get the chassis to handle it, MONEY MAKER.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Did you have to modify the is300 fans to fit the mk3 radiator?
I'm doing a 1jzvvti swap in a 1964 falcon and was thinking about doing the same radiator and fan combo.
post #16 of 39 Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by q6543 View Post
this car is so awesome!

you need to get this thing into grudge racing. if you can get the chassis to handle it, MONEY MAKER.
Thanks! Don't plan on doing much racing with it, its just a grocery getter and daily driver for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
Did you have to modify the is300 fans to fit the mk3 radiator?
I'm doing a 1jzvvti swap in a 1964 falcon and was thinking about doing the same radiator and fan combo.
The is300 fans are a few inches wider than the MK3 radiator. I made mounting tabs to mount it and then added extra aluminum sheet to the ends to direct airflow.

Sounds like a cool project, I may be doing a 2jzgte and getrag 6 speed in a falcon or ranchero soon. Just waiting on the customer to pick a car out for the swap.

Lawrence
post #17 of 39 Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I absolutely love this car. It would definitely be something I would love to own one day. Such a cool mix of 2 of the best platforms in history IMO. My only thing is, do you think the front bumper cover will fit over that intercooler? My 3 inch intercooler just barely fit on my car. Just curious, gah I love this car man great work
post #18 of 39 Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BlownVert View Post
I absolutely love this car. It would definitely be something I would love to own one day. Such a cool mix of 2 of the best platforms in history IMO. My only thing is, do you think the front bumper cover will fit over that intercooler? My 3 inch intercooler just barely fit on my car. Just curious, gah I love this car man great work
Thanks for the compliment man. I love this body style and have for a very long time. I thaught of building a turbo, dart block ford engine ( I have built one for a friend of mine) but I really like the 2jz as its very simple design and easy to work on. The bumper fits over the 5" intercooler perfectly, I had previously notched it out. Car still retains the bumper crash beam.

Got some work done today, all the trim, headlights, New weatherstriping for doors and trunk, new trim on doors, tail lights, all interior all back in. Just have left to finish is polish the wheels as they have some clear coat overspray on them.

Here are a few pics I took this morning before all the above was installed, This was just after finishing wet sanding and buffing. I will get some more pics of the car completed this weekend.

Also Took the tail lights apart and refinished them.

Lawrence
post #19 of 39 Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Pics taken with my phone so they are not all that great. But its just about finished. All that's left is to make a custom lip to help at the 1/2 mile roll race in October.

Lawrence
post #20 of 39 Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up!
post #21 of 39 Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Wow...I would love to see some in car vids of this thing on the street man
post #22 of 39 Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Very nice!

"The more friends you have the richer you are, it doesnt matter whats in the bank" - Rick DeKneef (RIP buddy)
post #23 of 39 Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (40)
nice
post #24 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (36)
awesome!! great work

New project: 86 Coupe
9 previous Mustangs--all gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM

VIDEOS PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Seriously though videos asap. Sicko

2000 GT/Terminator Vert
post #26 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SeRpEnT View Post
VIDEOS PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Seriously though videos asap. Sicko
LoL. I will try and get some video soon. I will for sure get some at the half mile event in October. I did take it to the track on wastegate spring (11.4psi) and it ran rather well. I was running a set of Toyo Tq drag radials (315/35/17) and a worn stock cobra LSD as it would one leg intermittently. Kinda spur of the moment as I was going to the track primarily to watch and ride in a drift car.

Anyhow the car went [email protected] on wastegate spring and no traction in 1st and 2nd gear. Still have roughly 28psi of boost to go

Lawrence
post #27 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Had some progress today. After driving the car around a bit, I decided to throw it on the dyno with a 10psi wastegate spring to dial in low boost as the car is pretty hairy at 15psi as it blows the 315 dr's off at 130mph. Didn't expect to get any more than 20 psi on a 10lb spring, but was surprised at how I was able to run 31psi. Due to fuel pressure drop, ( 25psi drop) up top, had to stop at 31psi. I was taking the car to 8,300rpm (9k rev limit) but it wanted to keep making more power, unfortunately due to the fuel pressure drop, I had to stop at 8,300rpm. Any how, hadn't started laying any timing in it yet as well due to this issue.

Here is the dyno sheet where we are at for now.'

Dyno video
2jzgte Mustang first trip to the dyno. - YouTube

Thanks
Lawrence
post #28 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (66)
Not bad for a little 6-banger

90' LX, Dart 347/YSi 843 rwhp
Now with a 9.5:1 Coyote Aluminator and t56 Magnum looking for a little boost....

13' Race Red Boss 302 #609, AMR wheels/ Eibach springs, Airaid CF CAI, Accufab TB, Flowmaster Super10's
post #29 of 39 Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Im about to undergo the same swap. What did you use for trans crossmember and motor mounts??
post #30 of 39 Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbodymike89 View Post
Im about to undergo the same swap. What did you use for trans crossmember and motor mounts??
I am using 93-96 supra ear mounts and hard mounted to the factory cross member. The factory trans cross member is retained and moved about 6" rearward.

Lawrence
post #31 of 39 Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Very nice car!! good job
post #32 of 39 Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
very nice build, looks like a fun ride

2001 Bullitt Mustang GT [email protected] stock...need to run with the new setup 4.10s, bigs and littles, and prochamber
1989 Mustang Lx 5.0 - under the Knife...70mm turbo build
2015 F150 - 5.0 FX4 Sport
post #33 of 39 Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Any updates on this project?
post #34 of 39 Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BlownVert View Post
Any updates on this project?
Not a whole lot to mention. Just been daily driving the car for the last few months. I ended up curing my fuel pressure issues (filters were clogged). Threw it on the Dyno and dialed it in to 31psi (1050whp). I had opened a new shop and I am swamped at the moment. Need to throw a stiffer wastegate spring in and shoot for 40+psi. I put the car up for sale as a feeler for $28k, no interest so far. I did register for the half mile roll race event in April, if I have the car then, I will take it.

Some good news, took the car on a trip a few months ago. It managed to average 24.8mpg on e85 on the highway. I was pretty excited about that!!

Lawrence
post #35 of 39 Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is a few video's

Quick walk around
2JZGTE mustang for sale walk around - YouTube

Took the record at a local mustang Dyno
2jzgte mustang at Sac Dyno meet. [email protected] - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement