1990 Mustang Notch Swap (408/L92/VicJR Inside)
Well it's been a long time coming, and I thought I would post this now that the project is almost complete.
I didn't want it to turn into a thread where I would get everyone hyped up to see results, and the project die halfway through. That being said lets get down to business!
I picked up this notch about 2 1/2 years ago from a "kid" that at the time had more money than sense, it was an original 5.0/5 speed car, but it had an issue of constantly blowing the driver side head gasket. Someone mentioned the car to me , and it being for sale, so I went over to look at it, and knew I immediately wanted it. Car was fairly immaculate. 5 lug swap, nice staggered saleens, ok paint, ok interior. I figured it would be a nice cheap project car. So I scooped it up for a $1000.
Well I got to searching on youtube, looking at different swaps and what not. I came across a 351w 4 speed car running low 7s in the 8th and thought "this is what I'm going to do". So BAM! Picked up a 351W, all the swap stuff, got the motor in the car, basically to the point of dropping in the dizzy in and firing it off.... but in my youtube searches I managed to type in "LS Mustang".... and what was the first thing I see: Dave Mizzell going 9.9xs with stock bottom end 6.0 and L92 heads. I GOTTA HAVE IT. It was just damn impressive, plus supposedly it was cheap....
Well long story short, I skipped the 6.0 being stock, decided on a 370, came time to pull the trigger, and went for a 408. So much for going cheap.
2005 LQ9 Block .030 over
Mahle -5cc Pistons
TSP 251/259 .663/.660
.675 lift springs
Worked over L92 Heads
Stock rockers with Comp Trunion Upgrades
L92 Vic Jr
750 Mighty Demon Carb
MSD 6010 ignition
Kooks 1 7/8" LSx Swap LTs
This is all run through a TH350 w/ 3500 stall.
So far everything has been flowing along smoothly, with the exception of a missing balancer bolt, which I don't understand how you miss, thank you machine shop? And the valve covers needing to be notched to fit the rockers, which again I don't know how you miss, especially if you already notched the heads a bit to fit the rockers. Last but not least, a new steering U joint, as the stock joint hits the headers locking up the steering.
All in all it's been a pleasant experience. I took the project myself to a point (motor in the car, ready to put trans in), and decided it was better that I let someone else with more mechanic and wiring knowledge than myself take over, especially after taking some heat from the wife about not spending enough time at home.
The car is almost ready to fire up, just working on getting oil pressure (we think pinched o-ring), and wiring up ignition. Starter spins the motor over nicely, and hope to have the little stuff out of the way this weekend so we can fire her off and get this bad boy rolling!
My goals with the car are hopefully something faster than 10.99 in 1/4 on motor and something faster than 9.99 on gas (when we put it on).
I will add more as I go along, I have some nice shots of the car, and will post videos of the car ASAP.
Any comments or criticism please let me know, as I am open to suggestion on anything.
PS I would post photos, but I haven't been on the site long enough.