what does it really take.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
what does it really take..

ive been on and off about this lsx mustang craze. i was goin to use my factory 302 and put a carb on it with a plate(200) shot and see how that went. Then i relized i would have to change a BUNCH of #### to hold the power... trans, rearend and other stuff. Not to mention goin though short blocks like it my job because im probably not goin to keep my fat thumb off that button.. lol.So why dont i just go Ls lol. Now i know im not supposed to talk about the streets but... the other night i put a 6 speed "stock" ls1 car out two to my car with 8 psi from a vortech and auto(stock 5.0) and he walked me about 3 just before the 1/4. he was a bitch and would go heads up cuz he was scared of my almighty vortech..whatever. i know i can do all the things under the sun to that 5.0 as it sits but when its all said and done i think a head cam spray ls1 car would still walk my #### all day. these ls motors are fast and i want one

What the real question is how much am i lookin at here- Ls motor, th400 with converter, carb and nitrous kit, dynatech headers. i have buddy whos dont it before but its a nine second car and i cant really go off of that.. i goin to try and use the factory k member and use a motor plate just for money savings, and i just want to brush up on my fab. skills and simplicity. I have some pretty good knowledge on the ls series motors and configuration and i think i can do it with some help of course

so give me a general number on the swap based on what you think i know ill be spending more on what you say just because thats how it goes lol, thanks, sorry for the novel

94 mustang gt- stock 302, vortech v2 s-trim, too slow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lsx swap soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I can tell you this, spend the extra 5 hundy and get a tubular K-member. Your swap will be much more simple. I would say a bottom price would be 2-3000 using mostly used parts. I have about that in my swap if I include that I sold off all my old 351 EFI/TKO junk.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

thats what i was thinkin,2-3000, around here in detroit area these ls motors and swap parts are everywhere, and i can sell my 302, vortech, built aode with presicion converter and other efi stuff or what ever else i dont need
- im lookin to do this the next winter here, the car i wanna make the swap to is my daily driver so i gotta buy a daily in the summer..
- im in the prosses in lookin for a ls1 or lq4 long block and th400 to start, should i go aluminum or iron block...

lsx swap soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
LQ4s are iron. It is an extra 20 cubes and 40 lbs, your call there. If you plan on going with boost of some sort, get one of those and be done with it.

Ditto on the k-member. I have about $420 (shipped) in my AJE, including the upper spring perches and LS1-specific motor mounts. Some people will bitch about the strength of them and order an RR piece with more bracing for $50 more.

Plenty of good info here on the corral but so much more over at ls1tech.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinMS View Post
LQ4s are iron. It is an extra 20 cubes and 40 lbs, your call there. If you plan on going with boost of some sort, get one of those and be done with it.

Ditto on the k-member. I have about $420 (shipped) in my AJE, including the upper spring perches and LS1-specific motor mounts. Some people will bitch about the strength of them and order an RR piece with more bracing for $50 more.

Plenty of good info here on the corral but so much more over at ls1tech.
ls1tech is very helpfull i do agree with you on that one, those motors make some very good numbers. if i didnt like the mustang styling so much and i didnt feel like a caged rat in a f-body id probably own one lol, theres still a ford spot in my heart though of course

lsx swap soon
post #6 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Same here. I much prefer the Mustang styling to the spaceship styling of the F-bodies but the MOD motor is a boat anchor. I even slapped a kenne-bell on it and got mediocre results.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentnoir View Post
Same here. I much prefer the Mustang styling to the spaceship styling of the F-bodies but the MOD motor is a boat anchor. I even slapped a kenne-bell on it and got mediocre results.
the 2011 mod motor makes 412-425 hp stock...

1962 falcon stock 1992 302 short block, RHS heads, 1.5 inch headers ..bullet cam ..victor jr.. [email protected] on 26x8.5 inch slicks with 1962 suspension(under construction getting back halved)

1979 zephyr , 393w, bone stock 1979 suspension on 26-8.5 tires [email protected]
post #8 of 12 Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
^^ Yeah, and how much exactly would a crate engine cost? My guess is WAYYY more than a swap.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gs500 View Post
^^ Yeah, and how much exactly would a crate engine cost? My guess is WAYYY more than a swap.
I would image those crate motors will go for around 7K, but that's not the only or even the main issue. The mod motor is a very wide top heavy motor for only being around 300CID. Yes it will fit into an older fox chassis, but it is tight from what I can tell. Then you have to tackle the electronics. Hopefully Ford will offer a standalone harness/ECM kit like GM does for cheap.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
I would get the AJE or any other swap specific K-member. May add alittle more to the build but it will make EVERYTHING go like butter.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #11 of 12 Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (40)
im considering doing a LS1/t-56 swap into my '92 coupe. how much $$ would it cost to keep the fuel injection (the guy above mentioned going to carb). im wanting to keep this car dd (hence why the fuel injection) and know these motors get get mpg with a 6spd even with 400+ rwhp. i havent done much research yet but do any companies sell "kits" for this swap or am i going to have to piece everything together? thanks for the help, im over on ls1tech as well (almost bought a '01 SS before), i guess ill look over there as well
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

i found a couple motors, dirt cheap i need to make up my mind soon 6.0 lq4

lsx swap soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement