LSx discussion - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
LSx discussion

Not looking for a fight or a locked thread, but just wanted to chat it up about the LS platform. From talking to alot of folks, I've heard that Ford had the mod motor design and the LS design to choose from. The mod was new, and the LS was an updated Windsor/5.0. Ford chose the mod motor for the 'Stang in '96 due to less moving parts, cheaper to build, more efficient, etc. The engineer who updated the Windsor/5.0 left Ford to go to GM. They used his design one year later in the '97 'Vette. RUMORS I'm starting to believe those rumors. Here is why. The years line up. Also, the heads from an LS engine will bolt to a Windsor/5.0. The intake and exhaust valves are backwards, but a custom cam will fix that. The pushrods are off a touch, but I'm hearing there are kits to fix that. Also, GM Performance Parts makes a water pump for the LS stuff that moves the waterneck up to the exact location of a Windsor/5.0. They also make an ignition setup to do away with the crank trigger type and coil on plug setup. How does it work? A cam extension with a mechanical fuel pump lobe and a distributor gear bolt to the front of the cam with a new timing chain cover. A FORD distributor is used and it mounts on the FRONT of the engine.

Anyone care to have a civil discussion about this? Is it just coincidence? Is it fact? I love the LSx and I love the Windsor/5.0. Mostly, I LOVE learning about both platforms.

1987 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 5 Speed setting on a full suspension.
Ed Curtis cammed, AFR headed, Tremec shifted, Production block Coming Soon!
See the build thread here:
https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9955770#post9955770
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
The engineer who updated the Windsor/5.0 left Ford to go to GM. They used his design one year later in the '97 'Vette. RUMORS I'm starting to believe those rumors. Here is why. The years line up.
It takes on average 4 years to develop a new powertrain. The tooling alone takes almost 2 years to design and build.

Quote:
Also, the heads from an LS engine will bolt to a Windsor/5.0. The intake and exhaust valves are backwards, but a custom cam will fix that. The pushrods are off a touch, but I'm hearing there are kits to fix that.
Why bother. Use the LS short block. It's a modern design, more efficient and has properly sized bearings unlike the Windsor.

Quote:
Also, GM Performance Parts makes a water pump for the LS stuff that moves the waterneck up to the exact location of a Windsor/5.0. They also make an ignition setup to do away with the crank trigger type and coil on plug setup. How does it work? A cam extension with a mechanical fuel pump lobe and a distributor gear bolt to the front of the cam with a new timing chain cover. A FORD distributor is used and it mounts on the FRONT of the engine.
Yes. but "exact location" might be an incorrect statement...

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #3 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentnoir View Post
Why bother. Use the LS short block. It's a modern design, more efficient and has properly sized bearings unlike the Windsor.
That's not the point. The point is that it can be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Not looking for a fight

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #5 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

LOL Anyone else want to join the topic?

post #6 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I've never really heard the story about a ford guy going to GM with the plans for the lsx?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Just a rumor I heard. Maybe it's true and you hadn't heard it. Then again, maybe I heard just that...a rumor. But that other stuff is rather fishy. The heads, water neck, ignition, etc. Even the "properly sized bearings" makes me think the engineer knew the bearing size was lacking and improved on the design when updating the Windor/5.0... IF it is an updated version.

I get excited about it. I'm interested to any learnin' I can get about this stuff!

post #8 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (39)
Well I have heard stuff too buuuuttt. It is kinda strange the year Ford stop producing 5.0 blocks followed with LS1. the heads are canted valve as well correct? Something like a Cleveland..similiar only fellas relax, i know big block chevy;s etc etc. Im sure its just chevy got in a pinch and copied the ford design maybe?? Just putting ideas out there. Who knows for sure but i am glad that chevy finally got it right.

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]
Best 60ft on stock type suspension 1.28
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UPR UCA/ Megabyte lowers/ stock anti roll bar. No battle boxes!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM

It's a pushrod V8. Only so many ways to do something and stay cheap. These things are designed by engineers that all went to school together, the drivetrains are used in the same ways, and the programs are given about the same $$$ for R&D. IMO Ford was sold a bill of goods with the OHC motors and the homers have been drinking the kool-aid for years waiting on the big, bad-ass 400 hp n/a mod motor. It never really worked, yet. But I'm just some goober who rides in the things, I don't design/build them.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33 View Post
It's a pushrod V8. Only so many ways to do something and stay cheap.
I agree, but also disagree. They don't have share the same exact head bolt pattern, for example.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
While the LS/Ford rumor dosent seem that far fetched, i think this day and age people just wanna believe that nothing is what it looks like on the surface, its like people wanna here every little detail and story that nobody ever cared about before the internet was around to stir things up.

I'm in the boat that thinks GM just took every part of a few SB's that was good and refined them into one package. I think if ford would have stayed pushrod instead this whole LS swap forum wouldnt even be here. they def dropped the ball

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I can swing with that. I'm a pushrod guy. hehe I'd like for Ford to pick the Windsor block back up, use modern technology to update the heads/cam/intake/computer, and put it back in the 'Stang. How many people out there have some good Windsor parts, but the bodys are getting old? Ford wouldn't have to wait on the aftermarket to catch up, because the aftermarket has a TON of Windsor platform parts and knowledge on tap.

post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM

like a 351 ci 4 valve push rod motor

1962 falcon stock 1992 302 short block, RHS heads, 1.5 inch headers ..bullet cam ..victor jr.. [email protected] on 26x8.5 inch slicks with 1962 suspension(under construction getting back halved)

1979 zephyr , 393w, bone stock 1979 suspension on 26-8.5 tires [email protected]
post #14 of 15 Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
People can talk themselves into any cockamamie conspiracy theory they want to believe, if it makes them feel like some kind of insider outside-the-box thinker with a leg up on everybody else.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Formerly LSNotch

Trader Feedback: (23)
Thumbs up Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
People can talk themselves into any cockamamie conspiracy theory they want to believe, if it makes them feel like some kind of insider outside-the-box thinker with a leg up on everybody else.

93 Mustang GT ZSR Dart 347, TFS 190 11R Heads, FTI Cam, TFS Box R Intake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement