what year 6.0 LQ4 SHOULD I BUY ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (16)
what year 6.0 LQ4 SHOULD I BUY ?

i'm looking to pick up a motor are there any model years that are better? i'm thinking 02-06 6.0 , do they all come with aluminum heads ? not that i'm using them, going with L92 HEADS but something i could sell ...thanks

91 lx Hatch 6.0(STOCK SHORTBLOCK) LSX 412rwhp
ON 275 RADIALS
10.84 @ 127 on motor
10.18 @ 135 150 shot ( still need tuning)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
i have a 02 and it came with the 317 aluminum heads...and came with the spacer on the flexplate also....

the stooge with the quickest cam only ls on the [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the heat with pump gas on a radial and thru the mufflers....
post #3 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Trader Feedback: (23)
Mine is just like v62go...I think that 02-06 are actually the years that I was recommended, mostly because of the earlier(99-01 1/2 I believe) running the chance of iron heads and some issue??? that were fixed on the later models.

93 Mustang GT ZSR Dart 347, TFS 190 11R Heads, FTI Cam, TFS Box R Intake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSNotch View Post
Mine is just like v62go...I think that 02-06 are actually the years that I was recommended, mostly because of the earlier(99-01 1/2 I believe) running the chance of iron heads and some issue??? that were fixed on the later models.
awesome ..thank you

91 lx Hatch 6.0(STOCK SHORTBLOCK) LSX 412rwhp
ON 275 RADIALS
10.84 @ 127 on motor
10.18 @ 135 150 shot ( still need tuning)
post #5 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Formerly LSNotch

No problem! Ask away...I might have the answer if not the other folks will help you.

post #6 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Corral Elite Member

I was just researching this! '02-up is what I want, unless I can find an LQ9. Anyone know a good source of these LSx's? Not having much luck locally.

'80 Fairmont wagon and a MK VII donor car.
Looking for MAF conversion parts.
Looking for 5-spd conversion parts.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 PM

if i remember correct the 02's and newer have better rod bolts also.....check on ls1tech they have some on there usually....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 54 Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Stay away from 99/early 6.0 motors. Some come with iron heads AND some come with a different crankshaft that has a longer flange on the rear that pushes the flexplate out almost a 1/2" and will cause converter to flexplate issues.
post #9 of 54 Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanN20 View Post
Stay away from 99/early 6.0 motors. Some come with iron heads AND some come with a different crankshaft that has a longer flange on the rear that pushes the flexplate out almost a 1/2" and will cause converter to flexplate issues.
There you go! I knew that there were some issues with the early models I just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks Aidan!

post #10 of 54 Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
When I did contemplate on doing an LQ4 swap into my 95, I did acquire an LQ4 outta the local wreckers. Came from a 2003 GMC Savanah. Throttle body to pan with some of the engine wiring and the exhaust manifolds for $700. I forget how many miles were on it tho...not much..compression was 180 across the board.

post #11 of 54 Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dxtrm View Post
When I did contemplate on doing an LQ4 swap into my 95, I did acquire an LQ4 outta the local wreckers. Came from a 2003 GMC Savanah. Throttle body to pan with some of the engine wiring and the exhaust manifolds for $700. I forget how many miles were on it tho...not much..compression was 180 across the board.
...and that engine in stock form pushes out about 400hp. Some people say it is cheaper to keep it Ford

Little by little more and more folks are switching to LS based engines...this is reality!

post #12 of 54 Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Blame Canada!!!!!! I FAP for CANADA!

Trader Feedback: (44)
Quote:
...and that engine in stock form pushes out about 400hp. Some people say it is cheaper to keep it Ford

Little by little more and more folks are switching to LS based engines...this is reality!
This is why im switching to ls powah! cheaper and easier! Cam and a tune and 450-500 hp is doable! Not cam, heads, pistons, intaker,and everything else needed to suport it.

Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada loves me this I know, Cause the "Don" tells me so! Tumbleweeds we sell all day long, Ghost towns are coming so stay strong!
post #13 of 54 Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
...and that engine in stock form pushes out about 400hp
And here is why I'll never take Chevy guys at their word. A simple quick Google search yields this:

http://www.jrgmparts.com/GM_Performa...arts_crat.html

300 to 325 is a long way from 400...

...in stock form of course
post #14 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 AM

the motors was rated at that power level from the factory....but it was closer to rwhp rating than flywheel rating.....i had a bone stock ls1 z28 that was rated from the factory at 305 hp but when it was dynoed it made that at the tires....the 6.0 motors makes close to 400 at the flywheel...

post #15 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPSVO View Post
And here is why I'll never take Chevy guys at their word. A simple quick Google search yields this:

http://www.jrgmparts.com/GM_Performa...arts_crat.html

300 to 325 is a long way from 400...

...in stock form of course
Sorry to hear that you use google for things like this It is known in the LS side of the house that the LQ4 was underrated by GM. I should have been more specific for the folks that don't know anything about the LS series motors In actuality it pushes *read* close to 400hp to the flywheel and if it doesn't reach that mark, nothing that a tune can't take care of

I said it pushes about 400hp

Last edited by Impetuous; 10-06-2009 at 12:42 AM.
post #16 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (57)
friends Z28 also put down 310whp in factory trim to the wheels.

tune and a full exhaust bumped him to 343ish whp.

2001 Mustang GT Bullitt (terminated) #2793
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
2015 Chrysler 300 S
post #17 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 AM

post #18 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Blame Canada!!!!!! I FAP for CANADA!

Trader Feedback: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgoody View Post
sweet! saved it under my fav's

Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada loves me this I know, Cause the "Don" tells me so! Tumbleweeds we sell all day long, Ghost towns are coming so stay strong!
post #19 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (39)
Just get a stock LS1 add a cam with 5.3 liter heads, runs low 10s with a good tune.

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]
Best 60ft on stock type suspension 1.28
UPR UCA/ Megabyte lowers/ stock anti roll bar. No battle boxes!
post #20 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you use google for things like this It is known in the LS side of the house that the LQ4 was underrated by GM. I should have been more specific for the folks that don't know anything about the LS series motors In actuality it pushes *read* close to 400hp to the flywheel and if it doesn't reach that mark, nothing that a tune can't take care of

What's wrong with Google? It's just another form of internet searching. Or is there some kind of super magical search feature that gives better info?

Big deal...

I've also heard all the "stories" of under rated this engine, or that engine, from all the fans of every make, including Ford. Just because something is rumored to be true doesn't make it a fact. It is just a rumor. Show me a video of a brand new GM vehicle with this LQ4 engine listed on the window sticker on the dyno making almost 400whp.

I'm not going to believe anything less.

I don't go by what some guy on some website somewhere said they may have done on some dyno...

I provided a link that is from an authorized GM dealer on GM letterhead. If you can show me something that can be verified as coming directly from GM then I'll believe it.

Also if 300 to 325 equals "pushing 400" why not just say it pushes 750? Or why stop there? You could say it pushes 1000?

"It is rumored that NASA is going to use a LSx engine for the next Moon mission."

Now that I've put that out on this website it can be considered a fact?

I'll be waiting for that GM authorized video.
post #21 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPSVO View Post
What's wrong with Google? It's just another form of internet searching. Or is there some kind of super magical search feature that gives better info?

Big deal...

I've also heard all the "stories" of under rated this engine, or that engine, from all the fans of every make, including Ford. Just because something is rumored to be true doesn't make it a fact. It is just a rumor. Show me a video of a brand new GM vehicle with this LQ4 engine listed on the window sticker on the dyno making almost 400whp.

I'm not going to believe anything less.

I don't go by what some guy on some website somewhere said they may have done on some dyno...

I provided a link that is from an authorized GM dealer on GM letterhead. If you can show me something that can be verified as coming directly from GM then I'll believe it.

Also if 300 to 325 equals "pushing 400" why not just say it pushes 750? Or why stop there? You could say it pushes 1000?

"It is rumored that NASA is going to use a LSx engine for the next Moon mission."

Now that I've put that out on this website it can be considered a fact?

I'll be waiting for that GM authorized video.
Reading comprehension owns you...nobody said that those engines push 400 HP TO THE WHEELS!! Read it again!
Btw google is a search engine but that doesn't mean that is the place to find info for enthusiasts like us. Do you search in google for mustang specific info? I think NOT that's why you are here in the Corral...

post #22 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Under rated for what reason? Insurance reasons? Racing perhaps? So it can be classified in a lower 'stock' class?

Why would a truck motor be under rated? No one races a truck and insurance is always cheaper on a truck than a car. So, I don't see the reason why it would be under rated? Toyota, the highest selling truck in the nation rates theirs at around 400 hp. GM sure as hell can't afford to lose one single sale, so why would they under rate?

1969 fastback street car project underway.

Beware of leftist/liberals/democrats posing as Americans.
post #23 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceallday1 View Post
Under rated for what reason? Insurance reasons? Racing perhaps? So it can be classified in a lower 'stock' class?

Why would a truck motor be under rated? No one races a truck and insurance is always cheaper on a truck than a car. So, I don't see the reason why it would be under rated? Toyota, the highest selling truck in the nation rates theirs at around 400 hp. GM sure as hell can't afford to lose one single sale, so why would they under rate?
deleted

Last edited by v62go; 10-07-2009 at 01:18 AM.
post #24 of 54 Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Reading comprehension owns you...nobody said that those engines push 400 HP TO THE WHEELS!! Read it again!
Btw google is a search engine but that doesn't mean that is the place to find info for enthusiasts like us. Do you search in google for mustang specific info? I think NOT that's why you are here in the Corral...
OK, I'll give you a break. Show me a dyno video where a stock, brand new, stickered, LQ4 makes even 370 at the wheels. If the link I provided of the GM authorized dealer info is in fact correct you'd be lucky to find one at 295whp.

Also just for kicks I Googled "Mustang Forums" and guess what I found? This came up on the first page.

"Corral Forums - Powered by vBulletin Modular Technical Discussion forum for all 4.6/5.4 SOHC powered Mustangs. ... General Mustang Technical Discussion Forum"

I'm sure plenty of folks who are new to Mustangs have found this site just by using Google. It is a VERY common practice so I don't know why you think it is unusual?

While I'm not really questioning why Greg or Chris started a separate Mixed Breed forum I do have to wonder why anybody who is so into GM stuff would even come to a Mustang forum to discuss their projects?

Aren't there enough GM sites that cover these swaps? I think maybe guys like you thrive on the drama. Kinda a rebel without a cause needy attention type thing?

Before this new section was started you would have been considered a troll or flame baiter. Just because you have a new section doesn't change my opinion on that...

Raceallday1: Those are some very good points. Then again GM can afford to lose sales since us taxpayers are stuck holding the bag.

Saying something is "under rated" makes it sound cool. Kinda like they have some secret underground testing facility where the real "in the know people" hang out. It's top secret and you have to know the handshake just to get in... HAHAHA
post #25 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 AM

deleted.....out of respect to this forum.

Last edited by v62go; 10-07-2009 at 01:12 AM.
post #26 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by v62go View Post
why dont you stay up all night and worry about it.....and by the way none of the big three can stand to lose a sale.....quit acting like gm is the only one that has fell on hard times...something is wrong with a person that takes pleasure in the pain of our suffering economy......you just seen testamony that someone took a bone stock truck motor and put 31 degrees timing in it and it made more power than it was advertised at,so apparently they are under rated....if you dont have nothing constuctive to say in this section why dont you just stay out...
v62go,

WE need to stop replying to this folks, they clearly don't know anything about LS engines and come here trying to argue without a base. Was this forum created for arguments and opinions about what mixed combos you like and dislike? Don't think so!

Raceday and KPSVO,
You need to stay out of this forums period! You are not adding anything technical or at least talking about something that will help the rest of the folks interested in this kind of swaps. If you don't like the idea of the mixed breed then stay out of the forums and don't come stating how much you dislike it. Both of you are breaking the rules of the thread with your 'know it all opinions".

post #27 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Raceday and KPSVO,
You need to stay out of this forums period! You are not adding anything technical or at least talking about something that will help the rest of the folks interested in this kind of swaps.
I would think discussing the horsepower rating of an LS an would be totally technical and relevant to this forum.

BTW, would you care to explain how the 6.0 with lesser flowing heads and smaller cubic inch can 'push' close to 400 hp when the 6.2 in the GMC Yukons with more cubic inch and better flowing L92 heads is only rated at 380 hp?

Is the 6.2 under rated as well? Care to explain why they would purposely under rate the hp in a non performance platform SUV?

Quote:
If you don't like the idea of the mixed breed then stay out of the forums and don't come stating how much you dislike it.".
Never stated how much I 'dislike' it. What I have stated are the facts that it is a 'going around your elbow to get to your nose' swap. I have proved with multiple links and logic how it is more expensive and more work in every way.

Does an LS motor bolt right in? Nope.

Does an LS motor have the aftermarket support? Nope.

Are LS parts cheaper? Nope.

Any exceptions to these are clearly the case for that particular individual and do not reflect what is easier for the masses. Just because someone's buddy bought an LS motor for $500 from a guy going through a divorce, and ran 10s with a $500 motor does not mean everybody can spend $500 on an LS motor and run 10s.

1969 fastback street car project underway.

Beware of leftist/liberals/democrats posing as Americans.

Last edited by Raceallday1; 10-07-2009 at 02:44 PM.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Formerly LSNotch

My last reply....

Quote:
I would think discussing the horsepower rating of an LS an would be totally technical and relevant to this forum.

BTW, would you care to explain how the 6.0 with lesser flowing heads and smaller cubic inch can 'push' close to 400 hp when the 6.2 in the GMC Yukons with more cubic inch and better flowing L92 heads is only rated at 380 hp?

Is the 6.2 under rated as well? Care to explain why they would purposely under rate the hp in a non performance platform SUV?

Never stated how much I 'dislike' it. What I have stated are the facts that it is a 'going around your elbow to get to your nose' swap. I have proved with multiple links and logic how it is more expensive and more work in every way.

Any exceptions to these are clearly the case for that particular individual and do not reflect what is easier for the masses. Just because someone's buddy bought an LS motor for $500 from a guy going through a divorce, and ran 10s with a $500 motor does not mean everybody can spend $500 on an LS motor and run 10s.
My last reply to Raceallday and KPSVO :
You don't have to state how much you dislike it word by word. It is implied in every single post that you make. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how much it hurts you to see a Chevy engine on a Ford.

God bless you and I hope that one day you will become more open minded. I've become a better person being that way....take care!

Epi

post #29 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:

No aftermarket support for LS motors? What planet are you living on? I'm pretty sure you can get whatever performance part you need for any ls at the snap of your fingers. Including heads(not like they need them), cams, coil packs, longtubes, gaskets etc etc. Last time I checked, AFR heads are are actually $10 less for the ls then they are for a sbf. Lastly look at it in this sense....Say someone is trying to choose a LIGHTWEIGHT v8 motor for a good handling Mustang...How much would it cost to build an all aluminum ford? The costs of an LS swap would be shadowed by the cost of only a sbf aluminum dart block. Some people have other reasons for swapping out motors.

91 GT, Custom Paint, 2000 Cobra R hood, Half Gutted, GR40 Suspension
, BBK Shorties and X-pipe to dumped flows, 3.73's, Stock motor for now.
94 GT Vert daily driver, Pypes catted X to Flows
post #30 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM

So technically they don't push 400hp.
post #31 of 54 Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM

perhaps we are getting our 6.0's mixed up? The iron block version lq4 uses a different cam than the 400+hp ls2. Whooptie doo, switch out your cam and away you go...

post #32 of 54 Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Every comment here that a stock LQ9 6.0L engine cant easily make 400 flywheel horsepower is completely wrong.

If you say it doesnt, then you have no experience and probably have no basis for your opinion.

Ive had countless completely stock LQ9 engines over 360 rwhp on the chassis dyno through an auto 4l60e transmission. Actually the engines are closer to 425 flywheel horsepower.

These engines are STOCK. But im sure you guys consider longtube headers /w good exhaust, cold air intake, custom PCM tuning somehow "not stock engine" right?

Will you uninformed people, that have no ACTUAL experience with these motors, quit posting their opinions and pretend you know what you are talking about

1) If you think a LS motor is hard to "bolt in" then you have no business building a car. It takes more skill to install a ring & pinion than it does to put a LS in a foxbody. Quit bitching because you think spending 15 minutes modifying 4.6l motor mounts to make the motor bolt right in is a "custom fab install". Everything you need to put a LS in, is very basic and simple and almost every part is now a commercially available part.

2) Does LS have aftermarket support? <-------- WOW! Its the most popular R&D engine platform on the market right now. Every manufacturer is developing new products for it faster than any other domestic platform right now. Have you been to the SEMA show?? lol. (I'll be there in a few weeks checking out the tons of new stuff)

3) Are the LS1 parts cheaper? Some are, some arent .But guess what, you can use WAYYYYY more stock parts for a 500-550hp n/a street pump gas motor than you can in any ford motor.

Take a stock 5.0L engine in a fox. How many stock parts do you reuse in your build?

You "barely" use the stock 302 block in a 500hp build cause its a time bomb with any real power. What else, heads/intake/shortblock/rockers/lifters/timing chain/oil pump/headbolts/throttle body/MAF/EFI wiring harness & pcm, fuel rails/.

Alot of you misconceive that people are on here trying to say a "LS1 race motor is capable of more horsepower than a race ford motor"...completely false.

You get into a high $ race motor and either would be capable of similar results, results mostly dependent on the builder. What "I" believe, is for a 500hp street / budget motor, you can get more streetability (fuel mileage/driveability), less aftermarket parts, reliability and cheaper/faster in my opinion at the 500hp 9/10 second level than building a 302/351 based combo at that level.
post #33 of 54 Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

well said.....

post #34 of 54 Old 10-08-2009, 06:07 PM

X2

post #35 of 54 Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanN20 View Post
Every comment here that a stock LQ9 6.0L engine cant easily make 400 flywheel horsepower is completely wrong.

If you say it doesnt, then you have no experience and probably have no basis for your opinion.

Ive had countless completely stock LQ9 engines over 360 rwhp on the chassis dyno through an auto 4l60e transmission. Actually the engines are closer to 425 flywheel horsepower.

These engines are STOCK. But im sure you guys consider longtube headers /w good exhaust, cold air intake, custom PCM tuning somehow "not stock engine" right?

Will you uninformed people, that have no ACTUAL experience with these motors, quit posting their opinions and pretend you know what you are talking about

1) If you think a LS motor is hard to "bolt in" then you have no business building a car. It takes more skill to install a ring & pinion than it does to put a LS in a foxbody. Quit bitching because you think spending 15 minutes modifying 4.6l motor mounts to make the motor bolt right in is a "custom fab install". Everything you need to put a LS in, is very basic and simple and almost every part is now a commercially available part.

2) Does LS have aftermarket support? <-------- WOW! Its the most popular R&D engine platform on the market right now. Every manufacturer is developing new products for it faster than any other domestic platform right now. Have you been to the SEMA show?? lol. (I'll be there in a few weeks checking out the tons of new stuff)

3) Are the LS1 parts cheaper? Some are, some arent .But guess what, you can use WAYYYYY more stock parts for a 500-550hp n/a street pump gas motor than you can in any ford motor.

Take a stock 5.0L engine in a fox. How many stock parts do you reuse in your build?

You "barely" use the stock 302 block in a 500hp build cause its a time bomb with any real power. What else, heads/intake/shortblock/rockers/lifters/timing chain/oil pump/headbolts/throttle body/MAF/EFI wiring harness & pcm, fuel rails/.

Alot of you misconceive that people are on here trying to say a "LS1 race motor is capable of more horsepower than a race ford motor"...completely false.

You get into a high $ race motor and either would be capable of similar results, results mostly dependent on the builder. What "I" believe, is for a 500hp street / budget motor, you can get more streetability (fuel mileage/driveability), less aftermarket parts, reliability and cheaper/faster in my opinion at the 500hp 9/10 second level than building a 302/351 based combo at that level.
x2

So many people like open their mouth like they know what they are talking about and they've never even ,essed with LSx stuff. They wouldn't know an lsx engine if it went up their ass sideways eating a ham sandwich and running a chain saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement