Good subframe install shop near Baltimore? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Good subframe install shop near Baltimore?

Hey guys, I was looking for a good/trustworthy shop to install my MM standard length subframe connectors near Baltimore MD. I trust McNews Automotive for all my tuning, but I don't see the need to drive all the way up there just to have some metal rods welded to my car. Anybody know a good shop?

Nate

Alas the fun must end...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM

I had Jason Flowers install mine.
He's in Glen Burnie which is about 5-10min south of Baltimore.

I suggest you call him and set up a day you can stay with it while he does it.

He uses tall jackstands to raise the car but keep the suspension loaded which is crucial in a sfc install.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-25-2006, 03:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Just a warning on Flowers
http://www.racersden.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55468
If you are up for going to Glen Burnie anyway, have Justins Performance Center do it, I have yet to hear a bad experience with any of the work they do.

1966 Mustang-410W,AFR 205, FTI Cam, Bigs 750, Tremec 3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
US Army Retired

Trader Feedback: (20)
I don't know if JPC does any welding, but try RPM fabrications off of Dorsey road over by BWI. You can find them on racersden also.

94 GT
post #5 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM

Mello - I would have suggested RPM but they don't have a lift so they can't load your suspension.

RPM did my gear install and they do great work but they don't have the best facilities. They are in the process of building a new shop.

highhorseb - I haven't had a problem with Flowers but I did suggest he stay during the process to avoid any of those issues. I have stayed during everything he has done for me and so far I haven't had any issues.

*A little OT but we need another Richie meet now that the weathers getting nice to meet the new members
post #6 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
US Army Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massarian
Mello - I would have suggested RPM but they don't have a lift so they can't load your suspension.

RPM did my gear install and they do great work but they don't have the best facilities. They are in the process of building a new shop.

highhorseb - I haven't had a problem with Flowers but I did suggest he stay during the process to avoid any of those issues. I have stayed during everything he has done for me and so far I haven't had any issues.

*A little OT but we need another Richie meet now that the weathers getting nice to meet the new members
RPM does have a lift and what does suspension preload have to do with installing sfc's?

94 GT
post #7 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 01:51 PM

Check out these sfc makers installation instructions:
http://www.griggsracing.com/installation/mfk100l.html
http://www.maximummotorsports.com

Notice how their instructions stress the load being on the suspension.

Although my explanation will prob not explain correctly here it goes:
If the sfc is welded into place without the suspension being properly loaded the chassis is not in it's natural position. There for the sfc will be fighting the chassis against the way it normally is when the car is lowered.

For example of what I'm trying to explain have you ever tried opening your car doors while your car is on a lift? If you have you would notice it is alot harder than when the car is on the ground. That is because the chassis is tweaked while being supported by a lift and is not in its normal alignment - you do not want to lock this in by welding sfc while in this state.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sub Install

RPM Fab. does have a lift and they installed my MM full length subs 2 months ago. Harry and Jason do excellent work. They Mig weld the subs too. Just in case you were wondering.

1993 LX:Steeda tri-ax,pypes 1 5/8" ceramic shorties,pypes catted x-pipe,magnaflow catback, 3.55 gears,centerforce DF clutch, 9mm race wires, Paperformance 3G 130amp alt, FMS aluminum driveshaft,C&L 76mm air meter and 1.7rr's
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Sorry I misspoke when I said they didn't have a lift - meant to say they don't have a drive on lift or tall jackstands. You need either one of those two to install sfc's properly.

Trust me I've had them done both ways and the suspension loaded method is much stiffer.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheShake
Hey guys, I was looking for a good/trustworthy shop to install my MM standard length subframe connectors near Baltimore MD. I trust McNews Automotive for all my tuning, but I don't see the need to drive all the way up there just to have some metal rods welded to my car. Anybody know a good shop?

Nate
Good folks at "On the Ground Performance" in Eldersburg (Carroll County). Call Rod Rodriguez at 410-549-9411. He's done some great stuff for our '86 GT...

John

2005 Mustang GT
stock block, bolt-ons, cams
12.40 @ 111
post #11 of 14 Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo yelo
I don't know if JPC does any welding, but try RPM fabrications off of Dorsey road over by BWI. You can find them on racersden also.
Do you know the phone number for this shop? I work for Enterprise over @ the BWI facility so it'd be great to just drop off my car before work one day.

Nate

Alas the fun must end...
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2006, 05:52 PM

Their number is:
(410) 760-6441
post #13 of 14 Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massarian

I dropped by RPM today before work and spoke with Harry. He said they do have a lift and use stands to preload the suspension. I saw they had two lifts in the garage and he seemed almost surprised when I asked him if he preloaded the suspension. He responded (with a "are you kidding?" kind of tone) "Um, yeah, you have to preload to install the subframes."

Nate

Alas the fun must end...
post #14 of 14 Old 06-17-2006, 09:34 AM
US Army Retired

Definately a good group of Folks over at RPM. I have had them do several things to my heap.

94 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement