Virginia guys, have emissions ques - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Virginia guys, have emissions ques

I may be moving to Norfolk and was wondering if VA has emissions testing and if so what exactly they do. Is it only a visual, a sniffer etc. Also are they sticklers about long tube headers? On another note has anyone passed smog with a TFS stage 1 cam? Thanks for your help!
Tim

1995 Mustang GT Ported and milled E7s, B303 cam, ported & ceramic coated '93 Cobra intake, 3.73 ring and pinion, Fox BBK 70mm TB, 1.6 SVO RRs, BBK LT headers, BBK o\r H-pipe, Borla SVO exhaust, C&L 76 mm MAF, MAC CAI, 180* t-stat, Fluidyne radiator, MSD 6AL, MSD dist, Screamin' Demon coil, Dynamod TFI module, AFM 8mm wires, 24# injectors, Aeromotive AFPR, Walbro 190 lph fuel pump, BBK u\d pullies, Pro 5.0 shifter, SVO timing chain and axle girdle, King Cobra clutch, FRPP AL driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 PM

visual only in that area. www.tidewaterracing.com if you have further questions

'13 Boss 302#2578; Recaro/Thorsen, 1.5" drop, X-pipe+Corsas
'92 Convertible 5.0 LX; DIY 306 and DIY MP70 turbo. (Compucar is gone but not forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'98 Cobra#1170; JLT, Tri-Ax, 4.30's-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got N2O
visual only in that area. www.tidewaterracing.com if you have further questions
Thank you for the info, it really helps me out!
Tim

1995 Mustang GT Ported and milled E7s, B303 cam, ported & ceramic coated '93 Cobra intake, 3.73 ring and pinion, Fox BBK 70mm TB, 1.6 SVO RRs, BBK LT headers, BBK o\r H-pipe, Borla SVO exhaust, C&L 76 mm MAF, MAC CAI, 180* t-stat, Fluidyne radiator, MSD 6AL, MSD dist, Screamin' Demon coil, Dynamod TFI module, AFM 8mm wires, 24# injectors, Aeromotive AFPR, Walbro 190 lph fuel pump, BBK u\d pullies, Pro 5.0 shifter, SVO timing chain and axle girdle, King Cobra clutch, FRPP AL driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
There are three types of tests: two-speed idle test, acceleration simulation mode test and an on-board diagnostic system test. 1980 and older model year vehicles, and all vehicles with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, receive a two-speed idle test. This test measures hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at 2,500 rpm and curb idle.

Most 1981 and newer vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating up to 8,500 pounds receive an acceleration simulation (ASM) mode test. The ASM test is performed on a dynamometer (or treadmill) which allows the inspector to run the vehicle at only 15 mph and 25 mph. This type of test is performed to measure nitric oxide, as well as hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Some vehicles may not be able to receive the dynamometer test due to mechanical features such as all-wheel drive, full-time four-wheel drive, or traction control that cannot be turned off. These vehicles will be tested using the two-speed idle test. Some newer vehicles may receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of the regular tailpipe emissions test. Most vehicles receive an emissions control component inspection. The inspector will check for certain emissions control systems that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. Most vehicles will also receive a gas cap pressure test.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
There are three types of tests...
Not in Norfolk.

'92 Convertible 5.0 LX; DIY 306 and DIY MP70 turbo. (Compucar is gone but not forgotten
)

post #6 of 13 Old 11-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
That was cut-n-pasted off the Commonwealth emissions website.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Yes but this is right off the DMV's site and the VA site who governs it.
f your vehicle is garaged in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, or the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, your vehicle must meet the emissions inspection requirements. Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected by a certified emissions inspection station.

98 Camaro Z/28 HT A4- SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback | BMR/Hotchkis suspension 300rwhp, 308rwtq
07 Legacy 2.5i | 09 Vulcan 900 custom

97 Cobra- bolt ons | Full Exhaust | Suspension |Tuned by JMS....Sold!
post #8 of 13 Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 PM

ahem... let me try this again... NOT IN NORFOLK

Did you guys see that he is moving to NORFOLK?

There are visual inspections here in the tidewater area. He will NOT get a sniffer test unless he is in the aforementioned counties, and he is not going to be. The TFS 1 cam will be completely irrelevant here in tidewater.

)

post #9 of 13 Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM

That is why I posted the above to correct Huesmann. I posted where they test and yes Norfolk isn't one of the ones I posted

98 Camaro Z/28 HT A4- SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback | BMR/Hotchkis suspension 300rwhp, 308rwtq
07 Legacy 2.5i | 09 Vulcan 900 custom

97 Cobra- bolt ons | Full Exhaust | Suspension |Tuned by JMS....Sold!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 AM

How is Norfolk exempt from State regs?

post #11 of 13 Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I know it probably wont help much, but I live in MD and I recently had my emissions done. The lady got into my car and pulled it into the bay, then two minutes later said I was all done. They didnt do anything to it. I think she did a quick visual but that was it. I was worried because I only have two of the cats on. She called me over to her and then I thought I was done. All she said was, "hunny move your seat back before you get in, i am too short and i couldnt reach the clutch"

Your #1 source for Mustang Performance Parts!
Matt - 1.800.618.9350
post #12 of 13 Old 11-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtownB05
How is Norfolk exempt from State regs?
It's NOT a state reg. Having federal emmissions equipment on your car is a federal law. You are in a SMALL part of VA that inspects the servicability of that equipment. Most places in VA only check for it's presence. In GA the disparity is even greater from tested to non tested areas. In the metro ATL area, you get a sniffer test, etc. Outside of that area you get NOTHING. Not even a visual, you just buy a tag every year and keep insurance on your car.

)

post #13 of 13 Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODROW
That is why I posted the above to correct Huesmann. I posted where they test and yes Norfolk isn't one of the ones I posted
sorry, gotcha

)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement