Ford Mustang Forums banner

PSU's '93 Texas DPS SSP

26K views 169 replies 17 participants last post by  psuuuuu 
#1 · (Edited)
If you are here because the car is listed for sale, please read the entire thread which is over 9 pages long. Please don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

Engine:
  • 302 block
  • 3G Alternator
  • Anderson N41 cam
  • APR Head Bolts
  • APR Oil Pump Shaft
  • APR Stainless Header Bolts
  • BBK 75mm EGR Spacer
  • BBK 75mm Throttle Body
  • Canton Racing Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank
  • Comp Cams Double Roller Timing Chain & Gears
  • EGR Delete Plate & Plug
  • Felpro 9333 Head Gaskets
  • Felpro One Piece Pan Gasket
  • Ford Performance Throwout Bearing
  • Ford Racing Lifters
  • Ford Racing Oil Pump
  • Ford Racing Valve Covers
  • Ford Racing Water Pump
  • GT40 Tubular Intake
  • K&N Drop In Filter
  • Long Tube Headers & H-Pipe
  • MC-Maching Anodized Aluminum Throttle Cable Bracket
  • Scorpion 1.6 Rockers
  • Screamin' Demon Ignition Coil
  • Stainless Steel Radiator Support (Black, Small Version)
  • SVE Aluminum Radiator (Black)
  • Trick Flow Hardened Push Rods
  • Trick Flow High Rev Valve Springs
  • Trick Flow Injectors (24 lbs)
  • Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170cc Heads
  • Under Drive Pullies
Interior:
  • 94-98 Cobra Shift Knob
  • Fox Resto LED Bulb Gauge Cluster Kit
  • LMR Cup Holder Console
  • NOS 93 Cobra Steering Wheel Leather Wrapped by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel
  • Pioneer TS-G650 6-1/2" 2-Way Door Speakers
  • Rockford Fostage Punch P132 3-1/2" 2-Way Dash Speakers
  • Short Shifter
  • Sony XAV-AX100 Double Din Digital Multimedia Receiver w/ CarPlay
Suspension:
  • Eibach Rear Anti Roll Sway Bar
  • Maximum Motorsports Front Tubular Control Arms
  • J&M Rear Control Arm Kit
  • Prothane Hard Compound Rear Upper Axle Bushings
  • Prothane Sway Bar End Link Kit
  • Russell Braided Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines
  • Steeda Front 3-Point Strut Tower Brace
  • SVE Bump Steer Kit
  • SVE Coilovers
Disclosures:
  • Will not pass emissions/inspection as it sits. Smog pump, off-road pipe, cam.
  • Pennsylvania title in hand. Branded "Reconstructed" and "Antique".
  • Heat is minimal, if any at all. I've been told it needs a new thermostat.
  • Leaks power steering fluid. I have the power steering pump rebuild kit.
  • Passenger tailpipe was beat from the fuel leak from the previous owner. Pipes were sanded down and sprayed black.
  • Car could use a buff/paint correction.
  • A/C blew cold over the summer.
Otherwise, it's a turn key car with decent power. This car is not going to win a Mustang of America car show but I guarantee somehow will approach you to talk about it and tell you stories every single time you stop somewhere.

For asking price, I will include:
  • Both sets of wheels. 15" ten holes with new tires. 16" ponies with new tires.
  • NOS 93 Cobra Steering Wheel Leather Wrapped by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (50 miles on it)
  • Ruby Red non-leather steering wheel
  • Ruby Red leather wrapped OEM wheel (leather has 201,000 miles on it.. it's worn)
  • Period correct radar unit
  • Period correct Texas DPS Crimes Code
  • Texas DPS yearbook
201,400 miles.

Commonly Asked Questions:
  • No buck tags.
  • No original engine/trans.
  • Still have the original yellow trunk release button.
  • Battery cover is gone. That came off our 1996 Cobra.
  • Intake plaque (which was a different, beat up finish) is gone.
  • One key for all locks (it's an SSP). I have a newly cut Ford key, two generic spares and blank Ford spare.
  • No owner's manual.
  • Door decals are still there but will need replaced eventually. "State Trooper" markings are gone.
Car is garaged in West Grove, PA 19390.

I first saw the car on eBay on 09/24/18 and messaged the seller. Pretty much sight unseen, I purchased the car. I've never purchased a car blindly before nor have I ever even thought about arranging to ship a car 1,627 miles across the country.

My main concern, living in the rust infested north east, was to find a car with minimal to no rust and something that was half presentable from the jump. I wasn't worried about minor issues.

After requesting various pictures to prove it was rust free and arranging a price, I committed but the seller could not find the title. After waiting nearly three weeks for the duplicate title, the seller finally received it and we made the transaction final.

On 10/18/18, I arranged for Montway Auto Transport to transport the car from Texas to Pennsylvania and I purchased a Marti report. On 10/22/18 (my birthday), Montway picked the car up. On 10/25/18 at 1450 hrs., the car was delivered.

It's unclear why the vehicle had a salvage Texas title. I was told due to a theft but it appears that the radiator support has been replaced.

In sum, this is simply a progress thread. I plan to keep the car original in its current trim aside from suspension and engine work.

See less See more
#6 ·
Cleaning up the nasty engine bay.

Brand new hood liner, battery cover, coil cover, etc. Surprisingly the light still worked... just needed plugged back in.

Some old stickers on the car:

Working on the window tint... bit hard to do when it's 40 degrees outside.

#8 ·
Steam cleaned the entire interior.

The water was pretty much black:

The inside of the gauge cluster looks like the car sat in a barn for 25 years so I cleaned it up:

Brand new floor mats that I'll never step foot on:

Most of the clean up has been done in the rain but it made for a cool photo:

#9 ·
Knowing that the car still needed to pass an Enhanced Pennsylvania inspection, I started digging through Google in an attempt and hope that there was an easy fix for the horn.

A quick search revealed that it is usually something minor as metal in the cigarette lighter blowing a fuse.

Low and behold:

An old nasty license plate screw wedged in there.

Used this helpful diagram:

More goods:

#10 ·
Finally got the car on a lift to prepare for the enhanced inspection. Big shout out to my buddy Ricky and DeFrank's Automotive.

How?

Why?

It just gets better and better:

Setting the timing:

Changed the oil... forgot a standard filter would not clear the sway bar due to the oil cooler.

#12 ·
Set of brand new blank keys:

Still need to dye it but I was tired of looking at the missing e-brake housing seal and the missing ash tray door.

Fit and finish is nice. To me though, it's not super functional... anything taller than a 12 oz drink will be in the way when you shift.

#30 ·
The car passed the enhanced inspection which was needed before I could title and register the car.

]
Interesting. Here in Maine, you do not get the inspection until AFTER the car is titled and licensed. I moved to Maine 7 months ago and brought my car in for inspection with Washington plates on the car and they would not do the inspection until the car was registered and licensed in the State of Maine. Lol

#14 ·
Installed the new battery tray and found a sweet ratchet hidden underneath:

It appears that there is no OE like replacement for this piece of insulation so I pulled the cracked and dry rotted one off:

Also replaced the fuel filter... the car would sputter after driving it a bit and when it started sputtering the fuel pump would start howling.

Replaced the hood release cable... the old one was hanging one by a thread.

#16 ·
One of my big dilemmas was getting rid of that ugly silver radio that came in the car.

I wanted an OE cassette deck but did not want to pay $300-400 for one.

In hopes that the car will one day be taken on long trips, I opted for something with CarPlay and phone charging capabilities.

Big shout out to Crutchfield for their pricing, customer service and shipping time.

One of my biggest fears was that one of the previous owners hacked up the original wiring.

What a relief.

Definitely a fun/quick and easily reversible install. I haven't installed a radio in something since the early 2000's.

#17 ·
While on the audio kick, I noticed that CarPlay was pretty much useless. Realizing that the talk to text uses the front speakers, I started digging and discovered that the car had no front speakers. It appears that SSPs did not come with door speakers but the dash was wired for 3.5" speakers that were no longer there.

Crutchfield coming in clutch yet again.

Another interior thing that annoyed me was the interior lights not coming on when you opened the doors. Seeing that one was seized, I ordered replacements for both sides.

Neither side was even hooked up. I got the passenger side working but by the time I got to the driver side, it was dark and rainy. I still haven't located the harness for the driver side.

#21 ·
Picked up some black 10 holes in Pittsburgh off an SSP member on Facebook.

Sourced what looks to be a period correct license plate off eBay.

Spare tire holder:

Thanks to Will B for the complete owner's manual.

#22 ·
Fuel pump and FPR from Summit.

My uncle, the mad scientist, working diligently:

That would explain the fuel leak:

One of the previous owners completely hacked up the floor of the trunk to make it easier to access the fuel pump. Their hack job led to fumes and road noise. We covered up their mess.

#26 ·
Picked up a matching base model wheel off eBay for cheap. It's in much better shape than the original leather wheel but this will be an alternate until I can find someone to wrap/refinish the original wheel.

It cleaned up really well. I also ordered some 303 Protectant to coat the wheel and rest of the interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.