1992 LX The street to track to street again build. - Page 15 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #491 of 526 Old 06-01-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadude View Post
Thatís a good idea ^

What is the condition of your upper arms? I had a set of factory ones in there once upon a time that made a very similar noise, I assumed it was the driveline angle getting out of whack. Ended up pulling them and installing TQ arm (enabled me to set the angle) and no more noise.
The upper arms are in good shape the spherical rod ends are still tight so not to worried about them. I also double checked the pinion angle and everything looks good. I'm wondering if something was going on with the rear brakes like the rotor being warped might cause the T2R to make a noise since one side might tighten up the loosen when on the brakes. Maybe that could cause the torsen to make a knocking sound.

I think the best bet is to disable the rear brakes take for a short drive and see if the noise goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 526 Old 06-01-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Disabling the rear brakes didn't solve the problem. I also tried driving the car putting it in neutral and yanking the steering wheel back and forth and didn't hear any noises coming from the front. I also did the same thing while applying the brakes and still got the but it didn't change with the steering wheel movement.

post #493 of 526 Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
How did you disable the rear brakes?

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #494 of 526 Old 06-01-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
How did you disable the rear brakes?
I shouldn't say disabled but I used the prop valve in the car and made the rear brakes basically not function.

I had the car on jack stands I thought what if I start the car put it in gear let it run apply the brakes see if I hear a noise. If used the brakes too hard it would stall the car so I would apply a little gas to load everything up to see if I would hear any noise. I didn't hear anything so I went to the prop valve turned it all the way out to decease the rear as much as possible. Then started the car and put it in gear pushed on the brakes. No matter how hard I pushed on the brakes I couldn't get the car to stall. I could see there would be some load meaning the were still kind of working but not enough to stall the engine with it just idling. I figured that was the closest I would come to taking the rear brakes out of the equation.
post #495 of 526 Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Not much done on the mustang this weekend but took the MOD car out for some fun.

post #496 of 526 Old 06-08-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Well it looks like I finally fixed the knocking sound. I did a few things to the car over the past couple weeks I took the struts out of the car since it seemed like the spring perch was kind of close to the strut tower. Changed the spacers at the top and torqued everything down.

The other thing I did was replace the brake pads on the car. When I was at the last autocross I talked to a few people that I know about the issue. I was told the noise could be any where from the way the rotor was cut when it was made or it could be the pads by a guy that is a Wilwood dealer. I did allot of research on pads and decided to use a Porterfield pad. I went with there R41 compound on the car and what a difference pads make. The car stops so much better and far more consistent then the BP-10 pad. I'm not to surprised considering how much higher CF the R41 pad has over the BP-10.

Unfortunately I didn't follow my normal rule which is only make one change at a time. I should have just worked on the struts and tested the car before doing the pads but I did it all at once. The one thing I did do when I torqued calipers down that I haven't done before was torque the nuts a second time. I have a digital torque wrench when I torqued everything it showed I went to the 30 ft pounds I did both sides of the car then went through them again. Then I went through the second time the top nut didn't move went right to 30 ft pounds the lower nut was at 28 ft pound and turned a bit to get to 30 ft pounds it did this on both sides of the car.

I took the car out for a 30 mile drive today that went very good no problems and no knocking from the brakes which made me happy. I do have a few interior rattles I need to track down and a couple noises but all in all it was a good drive.
post #497 of 526 Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
Yah know. I just got my car up and running and I am getting this same exact knocking sound but I get it while I'm coasting at 25 mph down to about 5.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #498 of 526 Old 06-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
A bit anti-climatic, I was looking forward to that breakthrough problem, found and solved due to (insert cause), but I'm very happy for you. It's those nagging, hard to pinpoint issues that drive one bonkers. Care to hazard an educated guess on what was happening?

Jay
post #499 of 526 Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
A bit anti-climatic, I was looking forward to that breakthrough problem, found and solved due to (insert cause), but I'm very happy for you. It's those nagging, hard to pinpoint issues that drive one bonkers. Care to hazard an educated guess on what was happening?

Jay
If I had to take a guess at it I think the problem was in the rotors or the pads. It was one of those or a combination of them both that caused the problem. I don't think pulling out the struts and torquing it all back down did anything. Everyone I asked at the autocross about the problem said either look at the rotor or the pads.

I'm just happy I'm past it now so I can move on to putting miles on the car. I'm hoping to get it out again next weekend for another drive. The plan is to adventure further away from home this time. I would like to get a couple hundred miles on the car before then end of the month. But that might be a tall order. There is also a autocross at the end of June that I wouldn't mind maybe making the practice event.
post #500 of 526 Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:

Jay
If I had to take a guess at it I think the problem was in the rotors or the pads. It was one of those or a combination of them both that caused the problem. I don't think pulling out the struts and torquing it all back down did anything. Everyone I asked at the autocross about the problem said either look at the rotor or the pads.

I'm just happy I'm past it now so I can move on to putting miles on the car. I'm hoping to get it out again next weekend for another drive. The plan is to adventure further away from home this time. I would like to get a couple hundred miles on the car before then end of the month. But that might be a tall order. There is also a autocross at the end of June that I wouldn't mind maybe making the practice event.

post #501 of 526 Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got in another successful drive in the car this weekend. I ended up putting another 30 miles on her. Normally I do a loop around my house since its easy freeway loop. This time since the SCCA match tour was in town I drive it to the stadium to watch.

I'm hoping to get another drive in car next weekend so I can get hundred miles on it. I need to go over it to make sure everything is good after the drive. I'm going to try and get it out to a autocross at the end of the month if all goes well.
thadude and Tob* like this.
post #502 of 526 Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Quite simply, yes.

Did Danny see it?
post #503 of 526 Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob* View Post
Quite simply, yes.

Did Danny see it?
No Danny missed it he had to skip the CAM challenge so he was gone before I got to the stadium.
post #504 of 526 Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM

Got any other shots of the car being out on that day?
post #505 of 526 Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Got any other shots of the car being out on that day?
No I only took the one picture. I should have got more but was just happy it made it there without a problem.
post #506 of 526 Old 06-23-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got the car out for another drive yesterday and put another 60 miles on it. The car felt good and ran fine. I didn't sign up in time for the June 29th practice but I think I'm going to still try and make the June 30th event.

I also got some work done on the car. There's been a few interior things I wanted to get done on the car. The first was fixing the carpet behind the seats. The scott rod panels don't allow for the carpet to go under it. So I ended up cutting it but I needed a way to clean it up.

When I was at home depot one day I saw door thresholds and thought that would work. They were only a few dollars each so I figured why not.

I found the narrowest and thinnest ones I could find.

I painted them black to match the interior of the car.

I'm either going to rivet them in or get some screws. Then I worked on the shifter cover on the car. I had already made the panel for the top I just needed to make the opening and install the trim ring I found.

I don't know if on earlier cars the shifter was in a different position then 87-93 cars or I didn't install the 5 speed trans hump right but you can see its not centered. The trans and everything is straight and the shifter is in the same position it was before just one inch back. I still need to mount, paint and figure out how I'm going to mount the shifter boot.

So before next weekend I want to finish the shifter cover install the 5 point harnesses and do a nut and bolt on the car. If I have time I would like to check the alignment on the car.
post #507 of 526 Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got the car out for another 60 mile drive got 200 miles on her now and so far so good. I'm not going to get a chance to drive her this weekend so I'm spending the time going over the car to make sure everything is in order. I did get signed up for a practice event on July 20 so it looks like that will be her maiden autocross weekend. I have a few things to do to prep for it but I should be able to get it all done. I also want to take the car on another 60 mile drive before the event.

I got a couple things done on the interior. I got the shifter console painted and installed. I still need to figure out which shifter boot I'm going to use but this is a start.

I also got the harnesses installed on the driver seat.

So far I'm happy with the way the car is turning out still have body work to do but it will be nice to finally drive it at an autocross. If it runs fine for the autocross event I'm going to go and get it smog tested so I can register it.
thadude likes this.
post #508 of 526 Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 PM

The street to track to street again build. I think the thread title is a bit ironic, the car seems far more track oriented now than ever. Congratulations on what you have accomplished, the car is a work of art. Can't wait to hear how it does in an autocross.

I just took the plunge and bought an IRS for my '95. I did not even to begin to comprehend how much cash it will require to build that sucker to meet competition standards. I wonder if you shall ever venture down that deep dark rabbit hole. I would suggest anyone wanting to go that route, find a suitable core sooner rather than later. They are getting scarce, and command a premium price tag.

Jay
post #509 of 526 Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
The street to track to street again build. I think the thread title is a bit ironic, the car seems far more track oriented now than ever.
It is turning more into a track car. It does have interior so I guess that's where I get the street car part. Unfortunately its looking like this might be the last year for autocross in San Diego. I'm hoping we get more dates next year but right now its not looking good. I'm going to try and have the car out for the rest of the events this year if its the last year for autocross in San Diego I would like to end it in the car that I ran my first autocross in. Even if autocross does end in San Diego I still want to make it a street legal car so I can get in it a drive it when I want.

Quote:
Congratulations on what you have accomplished, the car is a work of art. Can't wait to hear how it does in an autocross.
Thanks man its been a long road but I really happy with the way it has turned out. It feels really good to get in the car and drive it. It had been so long since I've driven the car it feels good to be back behind the wheel. I think it will be pretty competitive once I get the setup right which will take some seat time to get dialed in not to mention me going from an open wheel car where I can see the front tires to a full size car.

Quote:
I just took the plunge and bought an IRS for my '95. I did not even to begin to comprehend how much cash it will require to build that sucker to meet competition standards. I wonder if you shall ever venture down that deep dark rabbit hole. I would suggest anyone wanting to go that route, find a suitable core sooner rather than later. They are getting scarce, and command a premium price tag.
I'm still on the fence with the IRS. I have a torque arm for the car now that I have to install the rear axle has a T2R in it there's a part of me that isn't sure I want to start over with an IRS. I've considered just buying one and slowly building it over time and in a couple years swapping it into the car. If I didn't end up using it I think there only going to go up in value so it might be a good investment.

Here's a little autocross action from the last event. I ended up with the fastest raw time of the weekend not to bad for a 1965 formula vee or at least whats left of it.

post #510 of 526 Old 07-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately its looking like this might be the last year for autocross in San Diego.
Why?
post #511 of 526 Old 07-05-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Why?
The stadium is the only site we have right now that we can use to autocross we just don't have any alternate sites. When the Chargers left San Diego for LA the stadium doesn't get used. The only people to still use it is a local university that the city is going to sell the land to so they can expand there campus and build a new football stadium. Right now it looks like there going to stop giving us dates next year and when that happens we won't have any place to run.

There's been a new lot search going on for years but the problem is the building codes for parking lots in CA for every specific number of parking spaces they have to have planter boxes for trees. So there are large parking lots but they have to many obstacles to design an autocross course.
post #512 of 526 Old 07-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Those ordinances in CA about lighting and planter have made it nearly impossible to find lots that can be safely autocrossed in. The planter boxes have also caused a large increase in auto accidents. Mostly car to car as the trees interfere with peoples vision.

Jack Hidley
post #513 of 526 Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I put another 60 miles on her this past weekend. Car ran good now its time to get it prepped for its first autocross in 13 years here's to hoping she doesn't come home on the back of a tow truck.

I'm going to spend the week going over the car getting it ready. I'm going to change the oil and do a nut and bolt on her then get it ready for the practice event on Saturday. If everything goes good and there is no show stoppers I will try and get it out on Sunday for the champ event.

I also figured out I need to disable my ebay account. I get on there late at night and do dumb things.

Its the IRS out of a 03 Cobra. I'm not planning on putting it in the car for awhile. The car is running I can drive it and I really don't feel like leaving the car on jacks stands for a month while I install it. I need to get some events under my belt and get the car smog tested before I dig into this project.
thadude likes this.
post #514 of 526 Old 07-15-2019, 11:27 PM

What did it cost?

Jack Hidley
post #515 of 526 Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
What did it cost?
It was $1500 which probably wasn't the best deal but I'm finding that there starting to become hard to find. I saw a few others that people wanted $1700-$2000. This one was complete with all the brackets, bolts and lines. It has a diff brace on it but it seems like all the ones I have seen at least have a diff brace.

I have to dig into to see how good of condition its in but so far it just looks like its been sitting for awhile. I think next month I'm going to start to take it apart. I heard the driver side bearing and hubs can be a problem with these.

I also looked into parting one together but found it was hard to find the all the parts and if you did people wanted a premium for them especially the knuckles.

But look at it this way Jack I'm going to be ordering a bunch of Maximum Motorsports parts for it.
post #516 of 526 Old 07-16-2019, 03:26 PM

I bought two IRS units (earlier ones) on Ebay, they still have not yet been shipped. I also ordered everything MM makes for one of them. I found it was possible to put an extra 3 grand into one of these, and that doesn't include the fancy brakes, Torsen diff, or aftermarket axles. I have the same late night shopping condition/addiction, anybody know of a cure?

What will the car be purposed with if the autocrossing goes?

Jay
post #517 of 526 Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I bought two IRS units (earlier ones) on Ebay, they still have not yet been shipped. I also ordered everything MM makes for one of them. I found it was possible to put an extra 3 grand into one of these, and that doesn't include the fancy brakes, Torsen diff, or aftermarket axles. I have the same late night shopping condition/addiction, anybody know of a cure?
Jay
I got lucky the day I ordered it the guy got it out a day later. The plan right now is order everything MM makes for the IRS. I want to put a T2R in and I would like to upgrade the brakes but options for ones that still have the parking brake are slim. I know TCE has a kit that still uses the parking brake. I've seen other kits that swap to a two piece rotor or even a 13inch rotor that work with the stock caliper. I've also noticed there isn't much on the way of coilover options. Since I have Koni's in the front that will be what I will use in the rear.

Quote:
What will the car be purposed with if the autocrossing goes?
It will end up being a track day car. I have 4 tracks that are a few hour drive from me Cal speedway Fontana is the closest but there is also Willow springs, Buttonwillow and chuckwalla. I could probably do 6 track day events a year and I might mix in a few autocross events. They have autocross at Fontana and it looks like there going to do events at a sight in lake elsinore which is about 80miles from me. I just have a hard time with driving 4 plus hours for 4 sub minute runs. At least with track days you can get an hour or more of track time.
post #518 of 526 Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

There she sits waiting for tomorrow. This will be the first autocross for the car in 13 years it will be nice to have her out again. Hopefully she gets home safe and sound tomorrow and not on the back of a tow truck.

I got my air tank and water for the tires. I packed up some tools and stuff to put in the tail pipes just in case it blows over the DB limit. I think pretty set and ready to go. I'm bit nervous but excited at the same time its been just over two years to get to this point.
Tob* likes this.
post #519 of 526 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

So we made some good runs and the car came home under its own power.

I had a few minor issues that I will need to look into with the car. I'm not sure if I was just running to low on gas because through some of the long turns to the right the fuel pressure went low on the car. The oil temp got up to almost 250 which I didn't expect that's reading right at the front of the pan. I also was having some issues with the power steering when I was off throttle and the engine speed was down the power steering would get stiff then loosen up when I got back on the gas.

I won't be getting it out tomorrow until address some of the issues but all in all I'm happy with the way the day turned out. I got the car down to a 56.0 the fast cam-t car of the day was running mid 55 so I was pretty happy with that. Here's the video of my fastest run.

The car felt great threw the turns the front was really planted and it got to the apex of the turn really easily. The rear was a bit loose but very easy to manage. It was predictable so catching the car wasn't a problem. Threw the long turns the car would just hold and the front would react to my inputs. I forgot how good the MM front suspension works. The car was all around predictable which made it fun to drive.

Its next outing is August 24 so I have sometime to go over the car before the next event.

Last edited by Peter92lx; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.
post #520 of 526 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Either the PS pump is worn out, so it goes into flow control at a higher engine rpm, or you have the pump turning too slow.

Jack Hidley
post #521 of 526 Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Either the PS pump is worn out, so it goes into flow control at a higher engine rpm, or you have the pump turning too slow.
Do you think it sitting for so many years it might be bad? I cleaned out all the old fluid and put new fluid in the but maybe there is still old fluid in the rack.
post #522 of 526 Old Today, 01:05 AM

I doubt that the age of the fluid has to do with anything.

If the wipers inside the pump get too worn out, the pump has too much internal bypassing going on, so it doesn't pump as much fluid volume per shaft revolution. That can just make the pump not be able to keep up with the demands of the steering rack. When that happens, the steering gets heavy due to the lack of assist.

You are now running much larger tires on the car then you used to. Larger tires allow the car to change direction faster as they have more grip. This requires the pump to move a greater amount of fluid in less time. The easiest solution is to not underdrive the pump and see if it fixes it. The pump might be partially worn out, but was fine with the older, smaller tires.

Jack Hidley
post #523 of 526 Old Today, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I doubt that the age of the fluid has to do with anything.
I kind of figured but thought I should mention it.

Quote:
If the wipers inside the pump get too worn out, the pump has too much internal bypassing going on, so it doesn't pump as much fluid volume per shaft revolution. That can just make the pump not be able to keep up with the demands of the steering rack. When that happens, the steering gets heavy due to the lack of assist.
Do you think the wipers would go bad from sitting so long. The pump was only on the car for about 2 years before I stopped running the car.

Quote:
You are now running much larger tires on the car then you used to. Larger tires allow the car to change direction faster as they have more grip. This requires the pump to move a greater amount of fluid in less time. The easiest solution is to not underdrive the pump and see if it fixes it. The pump might be partially worn out, but was fine with the older, smaller tires.
I'm running all the factory size pulleys right now I had under drive ones before but removed them when I did the rebuild. Do you recommend a pulley to try on the car?
post #524 of 526 Old Today, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Here's a picture of the pulley I'm running on the pump now.

This should be the factory pulley that comes with the car I don't remember ever changing it. I could find a pulley with the same shaft size with a smaller diameter that should speed up the pump at lower RPM's and add more assist to the car. The only down side to speeding up the pump might be the power steering fluid would get hotter.

Last edited by Peter92lx; Today at 12:17 PM.
post #525 of 526 Old Today, 01:46 PM

See the link below where they rebuild one of these pumps. In it you can see the wipers (they call them slippers).

Rebuilding A Ford C2 Power Steering Pump

Even if the fluid was really old, I don't see how they could be damaged. They are steel I believe. If there is too much clearance between them and the cam that they fit in, the pump will move less fluid. If they were rusted from sitting for a long time, that could cause problems, but there would be other issues going on.

That looks like a stock PS pump pulley. If the crank pulley is also stock, this is going to make things difficult. If you change the pulley sizes to get the pump into flow control at a lower rpm, it is going to create more heat in the fluid and increase the pressure at high rpms. See the graph below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/motorsp...ml#post4044340

The problem with turning the stock pump faster is that most of time during an autocross, the pump will be bypassing so much fluid, that it will get really hot. In addition, the output pressure will also creep up because the flow control circuit in the stock pump isn't even large enough for the stock rpms that it can turn.

If you were to install a 7.5cc KRC pump on the engine, you can easily adjust the flow with an outlet restrictor and the fluid will heat up much less because the pump has a larger flow control circuit. This is not an inexpensive pump.

I would autocross the car again and pay special attention to at what rpm and steering rate the steering loses assist, before doing anything else. That will give you some additional information.

Jack Hidley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement