1992 LX The street to track to street again build. - Page 11 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #351 of 517 Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Looking forward to seeing that bad boy run. You are doing a great job with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 517 Old 12-29-2018, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
How is it coming along Peter? We are all anxiously waiting to see the start up video

Cheers!

1993 Cobra #1282
post #353 of 517 Old 12-29-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadude View Post
How is it coming along Peter? We are all anxiously waiting to see the start up video

Cheers!
Unfortunately it has gone very well right now. I tried getting my modified full pump hanger in the tank but it didn't work out. I ended up getting frustrated with it and broke down and bought a Pro-M hanger for the car. I bought some AN lines and adapters from Russell. I finally got the tank built when I went to mount the fuel filter it sat so far up in the car it was causing the line to kink from the hard line to the filter plus the new filter is smaller in diameter then the original and wouldn't fit in the factory bracket. I built a new bracket which helped get the kink out and hold the filter really good in the car.

Then I went to install the tank which was a complete pain in the ass only to find the lines I got were about a foot to long and I couldn't get them to connect right. Plus I found I should have put a 45 degree an fitting off the fuel pump feed line it hits the frame rail and has a really tight bend to it I didn't like at all. So now I have to drop the tank back out of the car I ordered new lines that were shorter and a couple 45 degree AN fittings and a 90 degree AN fitting. Some of the parts will be here next week some probably won't be here until Jan 7 which sucks. Based on that having the car started by the end of the year probably isn't going to happen which sucks.

I think right now I'm shooting to beat the 2 year mark on this project. I'm hoping to have the car well enough sorted out to make the SCCA Match tour and CAM challenge on June 14. So I'm really going to have to push to get the car ready. I was hoping to have it out at the first autocross this year but not sure I can make the Feb 2 event but you never know miracles can happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 517 Old 01-01-2019, 09:02 PM

Peter - keep your head up. You have done a fantastic job with this car and I really mean that. Eventually everyone runs into an obstacle that slows them down at some point. It took me quite some time to finish up my own tank, lines, fittings, etc. Way longer than I expected. But I know that in the end I did it my way. So take a deep breath and approach this as methodically as you have throughout this build. You'll knock it out, I'm quite sure of that.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Tob
post #355 of 517 Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob* View Post
Peter - keep your head up. You have done a fantastic job with this car and I really mean that. Eventually everyone runs into an obstacle that slows them down at some point. It took me quite some time to finish up my own tank, lines, fittings, etc. Way longer than I expected. But I know that in the end I did it my way. So take a deep breath and approach this as methodically as you have throughout this build. You'll knock it out, I'm quite sure of that.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Tob
Thanks man I was definitely feeling down on it but past couple days but went through the old photos of when I started and reminded myself how far the car has come. Then I sat behind the wheel and remembered how awesome it will be to drive when its done. I'm so close right now to starting it and I can't wait. It looks like I'll have the parts I need to finish the tank install on Friday.

Once I have that done the exhaust finished and the brakes bled I can drop it back on the ground and get it ready for the flares and getting it started. My only worry at this point is when the motor starts it doesn't leak any where or have some major problem. I think that's why I'm so desperate to get it started I want to know if I built it right.

I did find this steering wheel for the car and decided to buy it plus there was a dual button mount you can also get from sparco that I thought would work great for horn buttons.

I also did some more ECU repair. I seem to have a problem with bidding on A9L ECU on ebay so now I have my original A9S and 3 A9L ECU's. They all were in pretty good condition one already had the capacitors replaced and came with a SCT chip which I plan to sell. The other two I had to replace the capacitors since they were already bad. I did have one where the capacitor destroyed the run on the board. So I had to create a bridge using a piece of the capacitor leg to reconnect the pad to the run.

Its been a while since I've got to solder on a circuit board so it was fun working on them. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will have a video of the car running.
thadude and Tob* like this.
post #356 of 517 Old 01-01-2019, 10:58 PM

Donít get down my friend, youíve come a long way and Iím not sure if you saw his thread but youíve inspired a young petrol head to document his build, itís the 1993 Cobra Clone thread. Youíll hear it run soon.

Cheers Peter!

PS I love that wheel you have there

1993 Cobra #1282
post #357 of 517 Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Since I'm on hold with the fuel system since i won't have the fittings for the fuel tank until Monday I decided to work on the interior of the car. I had put off working on the back half of the car since it wasn't need to make the car run. I've had all the Scott Rod panels for the rear of the car for some time so I figured now would be a good time to install them.

I got some old rear hatch panels off a guy I met that had them laying around. He didn't want much for them since they had cracks in a couple places but that didn't matter to me since i was going to cut those parts off.

I turns out its harder to cut the panels then I thought but I got the parts I needed cut out.

These are the panels that get riveted to the plastic panels in the car.

I got the plastics placed back in the car then worked on getting the panels lined up.

Once I got them in place I started to drill the holes and get the cleco fasteners in to hold the panels in place.

I'm need to install the seat belts first before I finish riveting them in place and a couple other things but so far its looking good. The only thing I do know if I have to remove them in the future its going to suck. Its pretty tight between the roll bar and the panels.
post #358 of 517 Old 01-03-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Here's a couple shots of the drivers side of the car. Still have a few things to do before I secure them to the car.

thadude likes this.
post #359 of 517 Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I was able to get more work done on the car today. The plan was to bleed the brakes but it didn't work out as planned. I was getting ready to bench bleed the master cylinder when I decided to put it back in the car and pressure test the system with my power bleeder. Which was a good idea when I added pressure to the system I found a big leak on the axle block where the passenger side hard line connects. It was a line I made and it looked like my flare wasn't that good. It took two tries to get it right but I was able to get it to seal. Then I went to pressurize the system again and could tell it was still leaking from some place.

That's when I brought out the expensive tools to fix the problem soap and water.

I found this leak on the passenger side of the car.

I found another one on the driver side but both were easy fixes. When I wne to pressurize the system again I still had a slight leak . After putting soap and water on all the connections I could find the leak. When I went to disconnect the power bleeder I looked at this connection on the power bleeder and tested it sure enough it was leaking also so I sealed it up.

I pulled the master back out and got it ready to bench bleed.

I'm going to try and get the brakes bleed in the next couple days to get that out of the way.

I've also been doing more work on the interior of the car. I put sun visors in the car and added the factory seat belts. I have 5 point harnesses but still need to install them.

Making progress I should have the fittings I need on Monday so I can get the tank installed in the car exhaust done and the car back on the ground.
post #360 of 517 Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 AM

Please document the tank install well, I have about the same parts to install on mine. As always thanks, and keep up the good work!

Car back on terra firma, now that will be a serious milestone.

Jay

post #361 of 517 Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
Please document the tank install well, I have about the same parts to install on mine. As always thanks, and keep up the good work!

Car back on terra firma, now that will be a serious milestone.

Jay
When I go to put the tank back in the car I will make sure to get some good pictures. I will also get you a list of parts I used to get everything connected. I'm getting the connectors I need today so I should be able to start the install tonight.
petmotel likes this.
post #362 of 517 Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I finally got the fittings I need to put the tank in the car. Now just have to figure out if I put the tank in tonight or bleed the brakes or if were good doing both. My guess is only one will happen.

I'm putting a 45 degree on the feed line to angle it down so it won't hit the frame rail or at least that's the plan. I have a 90 degree to go into the filter which should work out perfect.
petmotel and thadude like this.
post #363 of 517 Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I ended up working on bleeding the brakes last night everything went good until the end when I realized I had a very small leak at the junction on top of the axle. I tried to tighten up but it didn't help looks like I will be making new flares on the end to see if I can solve the problem. I might have to build a new line which isn't tough just annoying. Other then that everything looks good have to make a small pedal adjustment but nothing major.
post #364 of 517 Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

So it turned out to be easier to fix then I thought. I thought it was the driver side leaking but it turned out it was the passenger side so I tightened it down a bit more and it stopped leaking. Then I bled the brakes again to make sure there wasn't any air in the system. Now the plan is to get the tank installed and the exhaust finished.

I also got the battery for the car.

I need to get the battery cables made which shouldn't be hard. I plan to mount cables to the side of the battery instead of on top so the posts aren't sticking up towards the hood of the car.
post #365 of 517 Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Looking good!
post #366 of 517 Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Another victory last night the gas tank and exhaust are installed in the car. Man I really hate putting a gas tank in the car its a real pain in the ass. but its done and all the lines are hooked up and were another step closer to starting the car.

Since I went to the Pro-M hanger for the car I did have to switch to AN lines for the fuel system. I had originally bought 3ft PTFE lined hoses but when I first installed the tank found they were to long. I then switch to 2ft PTFE lined hoses which were a perfect fit in the car. I also had to add a 45 degree angle fitting to the fuel pump hanger feed line to keep it from hitting the frame rail.

I wanted to protect the lines from the exhaust heat and damage I covered them with a DEI heat shield and sealed them with a heat resistant tape.

On its way back into the car.

I used Russell fittings on the hard lines to connect AN lines from the tank.

I used the same tape to seal up the other ends of the hoses. It looks like its really close to the exhaust but its the angle of the photo.

I also got the vapor line connected. It came out pretty clean and I'm happy with how it all worked out. Hopefully it works as good as it looks.

Finally I got the exhaust finished up but didn't take any pictures of it.

Here's a list of what I used to get the Pro-M hanger installed into my car with hard lines.

Qty 1 3/8 hard line to AN adapter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-644123

Qty 1 1/4 hard line to AN adapter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-641303

Qty 2 2ft Russell PTFE lined -6 AN lines
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-658520

Qty 1 45 degree -6 AN fitting
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm3148

Qty 1 90 degree -6 AN fitting
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm3155

Qty 1 Heat shield tape
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-330004

Qty 1 Heat shield sleeve
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-204014

I found this stuff worked for me and everything hooked up great.
Kaoticcoupe, petmotel and thadude like this.
post #367 of 517 Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Excellent, the lines look great

1993 Cobra #1282
post #368 of 517 Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Very nice, thank you for the detailed documentation!

Jay
post #369 of 517 Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

So I made the battery cables tonight so I can get ready to put power to the car and test to make sure everything works. The one thing I noticed when I was testing around with my volt meter was the yellow fusible link that connects to the starter relay goes to ground. That doesn't seem normal to me but I could be wrong. I haven't really messed with the wiring in the car that much other then adding the gauges. I believe the yellow fuse link runs to the fuel pump EEC VPWR and a couple other things but need to dig up a diagram. I'm going to do more research in the morning but it just seemed odd to me.
post #370 of 517 Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Finally got everything I needed to get done under the car so I could put it back on the ground and get it ready to start. I got the wide bands calibrated and I tested to make sure the fuel pump worked and everything was good. I'm hoping to be able to start the car next weekend I have all the fluids for the motor just need to get gas for the car.

Here's a couple pictures for the car on the ground with the fender flares taped on the car. Its going to take allot of work to get the front tires to clear the fenders.

I also did some work on the interior. I got the roll bar mapped out on the panels so I can cut them to get them installed.

I'm going to work on getting the interior in and the fender flares on this week. I'm mainly going to focus on the fender flares since I will need them in place to drive the car especially in the front. It was nice to see the car on the ground now hoping everything goes fine when I try and start the car.
Mustangmichael and thadude like this.
post #371 of 517 Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Looks really good on the ground brother.

1993 Cobra #1282
post #372 of 517 Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Looks really good on the ground brother.
Thanks man it was nice to finally get it back on the ground.
post #373 of 517 Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got started on the rear fender flares last night. The first part was getting the flares to taped up to the car so I could figure out where to cut the bottom of the flares. The way the flares extend to the bottom of the wheel well causes them not to fit. So I cut the flare right where it blended with the wheel opening. Once I got them lined up right I marked out where I was going to drill the holes for the rivets. I first marked them out 1 inch apart but realized that might be to close together so when I drilled the holes I spaced them 2 inches apart and added ones where needed.

I'm planning on riveting the flares to the car tonight. I'm planning on running them just riveted to the car at first to make sure there is no rubbing problems. Once I know they don't rub and there's no other issues I'm going to use some 3m panel bond and rivets to hold them to the car. Then I can start to blend them to the car but I figure that won't happen until the end of the year.

I also filled the engine with oil last night to make sure the oil system would prime and function fine. I was worried that my cordless drill wouldn't be able to push the oil through the car and I was right it drained the battery pretty fast. It doesn't help that my cordless drill is kind of old and the batteries are not what they used to be when it was new. I have a corded drill at work so I'm going to bring it home tonight and try again.
post #374 of 517 Old 01-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Same thing happened to me using an old drill, I was certain Iíd broken something lol. Ahh good times

Flares look great where you cut them btw.

1993 Cobra #1282
post #375 of 517 Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Same thing happened to me using an old drill, I was certain Iíd broken something lol. Ahh good times

Flares look great where you cut them btw.
I cut them at the bottom here's a picture of them just before I cut the extra off.

They normally extend down to the bottom of the car but I cut them off since they didn't fit very well when they got that far down the on the body.
post #376 of 517 Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (59)
Looking good!

Michael Bell
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, manual trans, project in progress....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #377 of 517 Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmichael View Post
Looking good!
Thanks man its coming alone but I feel like I'm getting close.

I riveted on the rear flares last night. This isn't permanent once get the car on the road and get some autocross events under my belt and nothing rubs then I'm going to panel bond them to the car and blend them to the car.

Now its time to start on the front of the car. I have a pretty good plan on how I'm going to make it work now its time to make it happen. I had to put the car back on jack stands and set the front suspension to ride height so I can work on the fenders.

Now that I have everything set I can turn the front wheels and see how they fit in the fenders. Now its time to start cutting and getting everything to fit.
post #378 of 517 Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got started on the front fenders last night and I can say it didn't go as planned. I was able to get the fenders open wide enough to fit the tires but getting the flare on is another story.

Getting ready to do some cutting.

After getting everything cut and opened up the one issue I'm running into is trying to get the flare to sit right on this part of the flare.

Since these things were designed to go on a factory fender when you push them out as far as I have they don't want to mount to the body right. They get really wavy on the edge of the flare. I either need to bring the body out to meet the flare of modify the flare to meet the body. I have some things to try but we will see if they work.
post #379 of 517 Old 01-19-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I ended up figuring out what was making the flare not sit as well as it could it. It was part of the body where my stretcher bar was pushing out the fender. I ended up cutting it off and it caused the flare to sit better on the car it wasn't perfect but it was enough to get the flare attached to the fender. After a few nights of work the passenger side flare is on.

Now its on to the driver side flare at least this time I have an idea on what its going to take to make it work.
post #380 of 517 Old 01-20-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got the driver side fender flare installed last night. It came out pretty good but I have a couple issues I have to fix on them. Here's the flare mounted to the car.

The problem I'm running into is the clearance between the top of the tire and the flare. This the passenger side of the car.

Here's the driver side of the car.

Here's the measurements of the differences between the two sides.

Driver side

Passenger side

You can see the driver side is opened up a little more the 1/4 inch then the passenger side of the car. I was so focused on making sure the distance from the front of the tire to the flare was good that I didn't pay close enough attention to the top of the flare. The other issue is even with more space on the passenger side if the suspension full compresses with the wheel at lock the tire will hit the flare. If trim down the lip on the flare a bit I might be able to get the clearance I need but it will still be close. The driver side I need to open it up allot which means pushing out the top of the fender.

The only problem is I might have screwed myself since I drilled and mounted everything and moving holes will be tough. Luckily the rivets on the back side of the fender flare are spaced 2 inches apart so I can make sire changes in the back. The front edge of the flare should be fine since I have plenty of clearance.

If anyone is planning on doing these flares just know they are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Each one fits different they mount to the car different side to side. Before you commit to mounting them make sure to double check everything before you start to drill holes. Right now I might have to drill out allot of the rivets to release flare so I can push out the fender to get more clearance.
thadude and Tob* like this.
post #381 of 517 Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I got more time working on the car and got the driver side fender the same as the passenger side so the flares should be good. Time to move on to phase 2 of the front fenders.

You can see from this picture I cut the bottom front of the fender off.

I got this to cover up the lower part of the fender.

I had originally planned on putting a GT nose on the car but liked this idea better since the hole thing is one piece. Its going to take some cutting to get it to work.

Unfortunately the part i really wanted to get done this weekend was starting the car didn't happen. Mostly due to timing and not getting a chance to start it during the day.
post #382 of 517 Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Well I got the car started. It didn't go perfect but the car did start. I ran into a couple problems one was code 56 saying the MAF was having problems. I swapped it out for my old Pro flow tech one I had that I knew worked and the code went away. Not sure whats going on with the new meter. I also couldn't get the quaterhorse dash working in TunerRT Pro for some reason. I think when I first started the car it wasn't running on a tune. Then tried reloading everything then the car wouldn't run at all and the dash still didn't work.

It went pretty well the car ran smooth when it was running responded good no leaks all the gauges worked and I got the fuel pressure and timing set so I'm pretty happy with how it went. Sorry I didn't get a video of it running going to try and get that this week.
Mustangmichael and thadude like this.
post #383 of 517 Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Excellent! Feels good hearing it run again I bet.

1993 Cobra #1282
post #384 of 517 Old 01-22-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Excellent! Feels good hearing it run again I bet.
It was nice to hear the new engine run. I haven't heard the car make noise in over 2 years.
post #385 of 517 Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (59)
Get your megasquirt working and work on the tune. Wonder what's wrong with the tune? Congrats on the fire up. Don't let it idle too much before you break it in.

Michael Bell
email:

92 coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, manual trans, project in progress....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement