• 1 Post By tjm73
  • 2 Post By russ3747
  • 1 Post By jamessr23
  • 1 Post By Popeye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Foxbody a dying breed

I’ve been to three cruise nights this year.

At each one my 89 Fox was the oldest and only Foxbody Mustang there.

There’s still a lot of Foxes out there but seems the car scene is just all new cars nowawdays.

1989 GT - 347 build in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 01:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I usually see a few Fox's at the car shows.

Deplorables
post #3 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Every collectable car goes through a "dark period" where you don't see many of them. I believe the Foxbody is in that period right now. Something happens and they come out of the wood work. Usualy the values start climbing and they start changing hands.

As to the new cars. A lot ff guys that couldn't afford such cars as kids are buying hot cars now. And they don't have to fix them or futz with them. Just drive and wash and wax (mostly wash and wax and power park) them.
post #4 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Same here with my local club.

Mostly 2015 cars with some bolt ons. Couple foxes really...but i've never felt snubbed really.

However, when i drive mine around, i get enough attention to think there are plenty of people out there that still know and respect a fox body. Seems to be more of a cult following where i'll get thumbs up from guys in Jeeps and trucks and even cops. I rarely get any attention from newer Mustangs.
Shakerhood, FoxRod and Str8ballar like this.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #5 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
my local club still stuck in the 50's and 60's thank goodness at any point in time we may have a 56 merc .. 57 ford fairlane... 63 split window vett... a 65 fastback a 62 impala 409 a roadrunner with 440 6 pack a few 67-69 camaros... i'll either bring my 66 mustang.. 66 f100.. or 98 dodge viper

my car club is composed of older and hard core guys...
post #6 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Also, let's be honest. The cars are 7/8 finished beer cans. They were cheaply made. Many got beaten to death, and crashed, and turned into race cars, and rusted away. They were not a particularly well made, long lasting car. Nothing from the 80's and 90's was. Attrition has taken many. Not to say I don't love the things! LOL!!
fasterthangas likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Yeah, they aren't the best. My daily driver has more miles than my fox and still rides like a new car and is quiet inside and silent at 90MPH. Can't say that about my 31 year old fox.

I still love it...but it's a crappy 80's car built around a nice engine platform

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #8 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
even the racecar builders are looking for mint unmolested cars nowadays.
jamessr23 likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
The one thing that gets lost and never thought about is the state of the hobby before the 85 GT. Think about the people you have met because of the fox. The amount of companies that were started because of the fox, the amount of money generated becuse of the fox, the amount of jobs created. If one could actually document this stuff, the numbers would be staggering. I would argue the fox body is and was the most influential car ever made in terms of this hobby.

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to sign up for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #10 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
The one thing that gets lost and never thought about is the state of the hobby before the 85 GT. Think about the people you have met because of the fox. The amount of companies that were started because of the fox, the amount of money generated becuse of the fox, the amount of jobs created. If one could actually document this stuff, the numbers would be staggering. I would argue the fox body is and was the most influential car ever made in terms of this hobby.
I'd further argue that it single handedly saved the V8 RWD muscle car and made today's astonishingly powerful cars possible. There would be no Hellcat's, GT500's or the like where it not for the Foxbody.

That said, I think the '32 Ford may have it beat as far as influence and industry creating goes. But yeah...FOXBODY!!
escogt and fasterthangas like this.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 03:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I am always asked if I want to sell my 80 Capri no matter where I stop and the answer is no I have had it for 37 years now and I might as well keep it plus it is a lot of fun to drive
Shakerhood and fasterthangas like this.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri_5.8 View Post
I am always asked if I want to sell my 80 Capri no matter where I stop and the answer is no I have had it for 37 years now and I might as well keep it plus it is a lot of fun to drive
That's part of the fun of driving my '88 notch. I could sell it every day I take it out. I get the classic southern "WHAT'LL YA TAKE?!" shout every time I'm out. No one wants to pay what it's worth, but it's still fun to have folks lusting after it.

'88 Notch - BBK CAI, BBK X-pipe, Flowmaster catbacks, B&M shifter, Al driveshaft, SVE coilovers, MM full length SFCs, 5-lug conversion, rear discs, 2000 GT wheels.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
They are definitely OLD. But the massive aftermarket is what made them great.

A pushrod motor is still the cheapest and easiest way to make power.
post #14 of 31 Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlaundry View Post
Cheapest? Yes. Easiest? ..............The new 5.0 DOHC makes pretty easy power. Stone stock puts equal torque and way more hp to the ground with an extra 1000 rpm up top than my 331. If my 331 let's go, it'll probably be replaced with a 2nd Gen (2015-2017) 5.0 DOHC because they got better heads, rods and cams. But even the 2011-2014 5.0's match my 331 for power.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Same here with my local club.

Mostly 2015 cars with some bolt ons. Couple foxes really...but i've never felt snubbed really.

However, when i drive mine around, i get enough attention to think there are plenty of people out there that still know and respect a fox body. Seems to be more of a cult following where i'll get thumbs up from guys in Jeeps and trucks and even cops. I rarely get any attention from newer Mustangs.
I was filling up the tank last week and a guy in an old S10 pulled in just to tell me cool car, seems to always attract attention.

Deplorables
post #16 of 31 Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

No doubt over the years hobbyists have dumped oodles of money into the Fox Mustang and Camaros of the 80s

But nowadays the cruise nights are dominated by new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post

post #17 of 31 Old 05-26-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I would hardly call a Coyote swap an easy project.

If I ever blow up my motor I’ll do a turbo 351W. I’ve actually got a block and some parts as a I’ll stock pile stuff over the next few years to spread the cost out.

Coyote motors are becoming more available but the swap is a lot of work and cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
Quote:
Cheapest? Yes. Easiest? ..............The new 5.0 DOHC makes pretty easy power. Stone stock puts equal torque and way more hp to the ground with an extra 1000 rpm up top than my 331. If my 331 let's go, it'll probably be replaced with a 2nd Gen (2015-2017) 5.0 DOHC because they got better heads, rods and cams. But even the 2011-2014 5.0's match my 331 for power.

[QUOTE=tjm73;18558456]
Quote:

post #18 of 31 Old 05-26-2019, 11:51 PM

If you want to see foxbody mustangs go to the dragstrip not a car show
MadViking and fasterthangas like this.

1987 Coupe: Stock 5.0, T5, 4.10s and a spool
post #19 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Cruise nights have become boring because of all the new cars. If I want to see new muscle cars I'll go to the dealership. I go to cruise nights hoping to see something cool and interesting. I see less and less interesting cars these days. Feels like a used and new car lot.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Cruise nights have become boring because of all the new cars. If I want to see new muscle cars I'll go to the dealership. I go to cruise nights hoping to see something cool and interesting. I see less and less interesting cars these days. Feels like a used and new car lot.

lol. I love a good used car lot. I love the fact of where the fox is at this point. Old enough to be cool and cheap but new enough you can still find good used parts. It makes it fun to get out and play with these cars without spending an arm and a leg. I had fun 20 years ago when me and my dad built our Chevelle. It was the same way. Swap meets, big block Chevy stuff was still cheap and all the used parts were cheap. Now a days any of that stuff itís getting more pricey. I love my fox. Itís my only my second ford Iíve ever owned and I love it. Even though it pissed me off now and then haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock bottom end, gt40 top, V1 s trim, TKO, 5 lug, 4 wheel disc, etc
post #21 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Cruise nights have become boring because of all the new cars. If I want to see new muscle cars I'll go to the dealership.
I love how the winners of the local shows all tend to be whomever brought the brand spanking new unmodified Demon or GT350 in a cool color.

I guarantee the first GT500 to show up at my local car meet will win best of show.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #22 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 PM

5 or 6 years ago I went to Ford Carlisle. There were tons of 60's, 70's, 80's and some newer cars. Lots of variety. Two years ago my brother and I stood at the top of the North field looking out onto the car show field and brother says "80% of the cars are 2005 and newer." He was right. All the cool old stuff was no where to be seen.
post #23 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
5 or 6 years ago I went to Ford Carlisle. There were tons of 60's, 70's, 80's and some newer cars. Lots of variety. Two years ago my brother and I stood at the top of the North field looking out onto the car show field and brother says "80% of the cars are 2005 and newer." He was right. All the cool old stuff was no where to be seen.

Speaking of which, are you heading down there this weekend?

Stock bottom end, gt40 top, V1 s trim, TKO, 5 lug, 4 wheel disc, etc
post #24 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM

The 87-93 Fox was the 67-69 Camaro to the prior generation.
asaw1782 likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFraser27 View Post
Speaking of which, are you heading down there this weekend?

Can't make it this year.
post #26 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
couple months ago, i got a thumbs up from the commander of the local police dept. he was a young guy, probably same age as me (40s) so quite possible he was a fox owner back in the day.
post #27 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
I had my Pace Car out last weekend and I have to tell you,,, the attention the car got was pretty shocking. Men and women loved it. I was asked a ton of questions and was stopped at corners and lights 4 times on a Sunday. So I'm not so sure about a Fox body being dead

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #28 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
I got into the hobby as a kid. I always had a 60's muscle car of one brand or another. I wasn't brand loyal but I leaned towards Mopars. That all changed one day when a buddy pulled up behind me in one beautiful car. It was either a '79 or '80 Capri in black with the green cobra on the hood. He had just bought it brand new. Oddly enough; I started buying Mustangs but all were models from the early 70's. I couldn't afford a newer car like that; I guess. Life went on and through the years; I bought countless classics and not so classics. About 6 years ago; my son bought an '86 Fox hatch. That car opened my eyes and led me to purchase a '95 GT which brought me to this forum. In all my years; I had not paid attention to the success of these 5.0 cars at the track. I had no idea there were stroker kits or countless suspension mods. I found myself engrossed in research and YouTube binge watching. I then caught wind of the Gray Mare. These cars are kicking butt years after their inception. The 302 is still holding it's own. I've never owned a Fox and I'm currently considering buying one just for the experience. The Fox look never gets old.
That being said; I went through hell with my'95 build. These cars were built cheaply and everything failed that could. I basically rebuilt the car and had at least $35k into it. I could have bought a used Coyote and thrown a centrifugal blower on it for that money. At the end of the day; a Coyote car is just another car and a Fox stands out in a crowd.
Unfortunately; the young generation don't seem to possess the skills or desire to modify their drivetrains. They's rather drive through Pep Boys with a $hiat magnet and show up at the shows with multiple led's, glowing headlights, wings, wings on their wings, ugly wheels, anything fluorescent green, plasti dip, wraps, muffler deletes, etc...
Our local car show holds a "Mustang Takeover" night once per month. A fairly large group shows up with a great selection of Foxes and SN95's. We also do Mustang cruises and many 302 cars participate.
Recently; I purchased a couple of newer Mustangs. I have a 2007 Roush Blackjack Stage 3 and a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang with 10 speed auto. Both of these cars are a blast and so comfortable. The handling is phenomenal compared to my '95. While still wanting to own a Fox for the experience; I question why. These newer cars seem to be built better and much more reliable. I don't care if I ever tune another car. I'm tired of being ripped off for machine work, parts and engines. One really has to do their homework these days to find reputable shops. Building a car can be stressful to say the least. It's so easy to plant yourself in a newer factory hot rod and enjoy a nice cruise while not having to worry about another issue popping up. ...but then there's that voice telling me to buy a Fox and start the painful process all over again.

CHP/CPR (Coast High Performance) / (Custom Performance Racing Engines)347 lasted a whopping 500 miles due to poor machining, metal debris in main bearings, damaged cam bearing and a balance job that was off 64ozs!
Buyer Beware.
post #29 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthangas View Post
I got into the hobby as a kid. I always had a 60's muscle car of one brand or another. I wasn't brand loyal but I leaned towards Mopars. That all changed one day when a buddy pulled up behind me in one beautiful car. It was either a '79 or '80 Capri in black with the green cobra on the hood. He had just bought it brand new. Oddly enough; I started buying Mustangs but all were models from the early 70's. I couldn't afford a newer car like that; I guess. Life went on and through the years; I bought countless classics and not so classics. About 6 years ago; my son bought an '86 Fox hatch. That car opened my eyes and led me to purchase a '95 GT which brought me to this forum. In all my years; I had not paid attention to the success of these 5.0 cars at the track. I had no idea there were stroker kits or countless suspension mods. I found myself engrossed in research and YouTube binge watching. I then caught wind of the Gray Mare. These cars are kicking butt years after their inception. The 302 is still holding it's own. I've never owned a Fox and I'm currently considering buying one just for the experience. The Fox look never gets old.

That being said; I went through hell with my'95 build. These cars were built cheaply and everything failed that could. I basically rebuilt the car and had at least $35k into it. I could have bought a used Coyote and thrown a centrifugal blower on it for that money. At the end of the day; a Coyote car is just another car and a Fox stands out in a crowd.

Unfortunately; the young generation don't seem to possess the skills or desire to modify their drivetrains. They's rather drive through Pep Boys with a $hiat magnet and show up at the shows with multiple led's, glowing headlights, wings, wings on their wings, ugly wheels, anything fluorescent green, plasti dip, wraps, muffler deletes, etc...

Our local car show holds a "Mustang Takeover" night once per month. A fairly large group shows up with a great selection of Foxes and SN95's. We also do Mustang cruises and many 302 cars participate.

Recently; I purchased a couple of newer Mustangs. I have a 2007 Roush Blackjack Stage 3 and a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang with 10 speed auto. Both of these cars are a blast and so comfortable. The handling is phenomenal compared to my '95. While still wanting to own a Fox for the experience; I question why. These newer cars seem to be built better and much more reliable. I don't care if I ever tune another car. I'm tired of being ripped off for machine work, parts and engines. One really has to do their homework these days to find reputable shops. Building a car can be stressful to say the least. It's so easy to plant yourself in a newer factory hot rod and enjoy a nice cruise while not having to worry about another issue popping up. ...but then there's that voice telling me to buy a Fox and start the painful process all over again.
Owning a fox body is a full on assault of the senses. You dont get that comfortable quiet ride that the EcoBoost will give you or be anywhere near as composed as the Black Jack. You will feel every bump and hear every rattle. But the over all simplicity of the car is something that is just lost on the newer vehicles. Maybe you dont do your own work but I did all of my own so that's most of the fun. I have a few daily drivers that have comfort. I actually enjoy the assault on the senses that is a 79 fox body.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #30 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Come to Chicago. You can see a Foxbody at just about every cruise night.
post #31 of 31 Old 06-02-2019, 02:18 AM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangdawg View Post
Iíve been to three cruise nights this year.

At each one my 89 Fox was the oldest and only Foxbody Mustang there.

Thereís still a lot of Foxes out there but seems the car scene is just all new cars nowawdays.
Ya, time was that a car that's been out of production for twenty six years was still, like, EVERYWHERE. j/k

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement