Has this board died or is it just evolving? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Has this board died or is it just evolving?

These days I log in a few times a year at best.

I am one of the people who was an original subscriber to Mike Raspino's modular board before he turned it over to the corral.

Back in the day it was "the" place for anything modular. We had nothing. It was dynamic and fun. Obviously the modular scene has matured, no surprise. When it got sucked into the corral it actually bloomed, as one would expect. even a year ago it was still pretty active.

But now I see that a quick post on the DOHC forum from me is the last one for over a week.

What's up?

Oh the stories I could tell, and I still have addresses and emails and screenshots from as far back as 15 years ago... but seriously, drama is not my intention. Just wondering what became of the scene; did someone bulldoze the little virtual shack where we all used to hang and erect some antiseptic monstrosity in its place?

-Cas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I've noticed this change occurring on a lot of the forums that I used to frequent 10 or so years ago.

I'm not certain it has much to do with the content of the corral itself, but a couple of big factors have really killed good forums like these. The most obvious one is Facebook, where people can huddle in their little cliques of people they will "friend" and never have to read a post by someone like "Bella" ever again. The other big change is the fact that a lot of these boards used to be owned and operated by individuals who had a general interest in the topics being discussed. Now they are owned mostly by a handful of companies who specialize in taking over these forums just for the purpose of loading them up with ads in order to generate revenue. Generating revenue is fine with me, but it really takes away the personal touch of a forum where the owner has his or her hand in the creation, maintenance, and ultimate evolution of said forum. Look around, the last major site update occurred back when Chris Ihara was the sole owner of this place. Since then its been in decline, and this isn't the only forum that I used to frequent that has met a similar fate.

Honestly I wish it weren't the case because I enjoyed checking on this sight regularly and reading as much new material as I could stomach on a host of mustang related topics. Now it seems forums such as the corral really act as an archive of said information, but the stream of new topics has dwindled considerably due to the changes I mentioned above. Maybe one day the old forum can make a comeback, but for now its just another has been in the evolution of the internet as we know it.

-Brett
'87 LX 5.0 5 spd. T-top
14.856 @ 99.86 mph
2004 silver zx-6r ninja
post #3 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
For me it started when chris sold it, every since the site now takes way to long to load and locks up from time to time... really not worth it when so many other sites don't have any issues like it. I stop by every now and then where I used to check it daily, atleast the classifeds, Now it takes so long to load a single page I just hit the bullet instread since alot of memebrs are also on that.
post #4 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM

Dying a slow death. I come in here once a week or so after being gone for quite awhile. Definitely not the same place. All my other boards I have been on for years are still going strong. I think for this site it has to do with the sale.

I haven't noticed any issues loading this site so that can't be why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Hell yeah! I can't wait to start sucking some cocks!!!

Last edited by sapperstang78; 06-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.
post #5 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (80)
The whole tappatalk crap is gonna hurt them more then the money they are making off of the other ##### app
post #6 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

'79 Bronco 351M || '87 Mustang Coupe 351W Turbo || '88 Mustang LX 5.0 || '90 Mustang LX 'Vert 5.0 || '97 Firebird 383 || '99 GSX-R 600 || '05 Civic Hybrid || '07 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L Cummins 4x4 || '08 Mazda 5 || '16 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans
That is why it's ok to have scrambled eggs for breakfast but you can't push some bimbo from a one night stand down the stairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
It's done.

I used to come here alot, now just once in a while. Ten years ago I came to the site every day, now I only stop by when I'm looking for used parts. I don't even have corral bookmarked anymore, I just type corral into google.
post #8 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It's a Ghost town, it's not just you...

'90 LX hatch 5.0/5spd = SOLD
'89 LX COUPE 5.0/5spd = SOLD
'94 Lightning #2978 = SOLD
'77 F-150 RCLB 2wd 408 cleveland in the works
post #9 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM

It 's sad actually. Met a few cool people on here, reconnected with old friends and learned much about life and cars. And of course the occasional e-argument was entertaining. Now I lurk....................watching the slow and painful death.

Matt
post #10 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Even with facebook, we still came here to chat..

Its the changes from the new owners after they said nothing was going to change that made people say #### this place.

Bame the ####ing Canuckistaninans

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

post #11 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Lack of jobs -> Lack of disposable income -> Lack of funds to play with your old car -> Lack of projects -> Lack of write-ups -> Lack of comments -> Lack of forum activity
post #12 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Not to mention that a lot of the OG crew have gotten older, started families, changed interests/vehicles, or a combination of any of these and the above posts. It wasn't long ago that you had to go back three pages here in the lounge at the end of the day just to catch up on all the threads posted in just that day. Now, the posts at the bottom of the page are sometimes close to a month old. I think it's just in a molting stage and will come back around eventually.

'89 LX Coupe
GT40 306 with a few bolt ons and in the 12's
'01 Lightning
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
post #13 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I suspected. Seems to be a pattern.

In another 20 years a new generation of budget muscle cars will hit the showrooms and another "Corral"will pop up. I call it the 30 year hotrod cycle. Fluctuates with the price of oil. Only in the 60s it was newsletters, this time it is the net, next time who knows; orbital mind control lasers?

-Cas
post #14 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (80)
sefb.net
post #15 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
US Army Retired

Trader Feedback: (20)
People come and go, some are car people some are not, people mature and move on to other aspects of life(family ,careers other hobbies), people mone on to other vehicles also, other more advanced forms of social media. The corral will always be near and dear to me due to the vast archives.

94 GT
post #16 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melo yelo View Post
People come and go, some are car people some are not, people mature and move on to other aspects of life(family ,careers other hobbies), people mone on to other vehicles also, other more advanced forms of social media. The corral will always be near and dear to me due to the vast archives.
I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of what's been happening lately with the site being sold and the direction that it is going, but I think there's a lot of truth to what you are saying.

I'm one of the guys who has been here since 1996, even before the UBB format (see post count). Back then I was just getting my driver's lisc and immersed in the 5-liter scene. I was obsessed with these cars back then.

I owned at least one fox every year of my life from 1996 to the late 200X's. Some of you guys may remember my white coupe with Griggs suspension and BBS RK plasmas. Anyway, as the story goes, somehow I dipped into my 30's and life got a bit more busy and my willingness to spend free time in a garage and willingness to tolerate inconvenience, simply dropped. That led to eventually selling the projects (storing additional cars is not cheap here in Nor Cal) and moving on to a plush Lexus. I still work on it and have done some basic things like suspension/exhaust work, but now it's more of "as needed" basis rather than spending my weekends modding.

I'm still a car fanatic at heart and pop in here every few weeks to take a look. The Corral was a household name for me and will always be near and dear since it was the first thing of it's kind that I used on a daily basis for so many years. I've met some great people here and learned a great deal about auto mechanics.

I may get back into the car scene again someday, but it will most likely be with a classic and most likely won't be any time soon :-)

Shout out to all you original corralers!

Stangless
post #17 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
Autoguide=AutoForums (AF)=Vertical Scope=TopHosts

Do your searching via Google and there's a miriad of discussions/threads on nearly ANY site that has been taken over by them (specifically forums using VB forum software). All the stories are similar and all the members of those sites all agree that once AF did a buyout/takeover, most of those flourishing sites became ghost towns due to the operating agenda of AF.

Here's some reading, it's out there, anyone can find the info, it's nothing new nor is it anything that is hidden.

Vertical Scope - AutoForums.com - Working hard to destroy the internet forum! - Auto-Trend Repairs and Service Information Forums

Ripoff Report | Vertical Scope Complaint Review Toronto, Ontario: 769099

VerticalScope - Admin Zone Forums

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 06-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
post #18 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM

I agree with most that has been said so far. I was out of the loop too. I wasnt aware that most of the originals went and started their own board and hang out there now.

The Fastest Yellow 95 GTS turned into a Cobra in the world!!
5.0 GT40x heads,Gt 40 intake,Custom cam, Kb Blower 8-10lb,Blowzilla Bypass,FMS headers,Bassinni X pipe and cat back, cobra r hood, cobra front and rear bumpers,chrome cobra r wheels and a whole bunch of other stuff I am forgetting
post #19 of 100 Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Blame Canada!!!!!! I FAP for CANADA!

Trader Feedback: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazycj View Post
I agree with most that has been said so far. I was out of the loop too. I wasnt aware that most of the originals went and started their own board and hang out there now.
We do not speak of that of which I have no idea what your talking about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada loves me this I know, Cause the "Don" tells me so! Tumbleweeds we sell all day long, Ghost towns are coming so stay strong!
post #20 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 AM

Im a late bloomer of the site but know where the cool kids hang out but dont visit very often.
TTF and ModFords are under new admin too, but not as ad spam as here.
The real foxbody guys are getting older, admit it or not. Tech should be a search forum for the surging idle checklist.

This guy has retired cars and a family man.
And Ed Hardy is a name here, even though it says my name is Eric right under the user name.
Tapatalk being dropped is just another kick in the ballsac.

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #21 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 AM

Tons of reasons are contributing to the death of forums...

Lack of good paying jobs, value of dollar decreasing, cost of living (everything) rising, the politics going on are dragging us all down (we used to not have to even think about political issues, but now every day is a fight to keep your damn rights), and the cost of mods and new hotrods are a bit much right now for the average folks.

Ad to that, folks like myself that used to live on these boards and spend all my spare time and cash on our Mustangs have got older, married, and just plain don't have as much time, money or energy to spend on going fast.

FWIW

Some of the most active forums I've been on lately are gun forums.

One last thought....

I started a forum after a friend shut down our local board. I can't even get many of the old members to join and share their projects. But they post #### every day on Facebook about their cars, etc.

That being said, i think the car scene is becoming more of a few local Facebook friends than national or global forums.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1997 Mustang GT: Aluminum block PI swapped TR3550 swapped + bolt-ons.
Best 1/4: 2.045 60ft, [email protected] Best 1/8: 2.04 60ft, [email protected]
The GT: http://streetntrack.net/gallery/image/16-1997-mustang-gt/
http://Tennesspeed.net
post #22 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehardy1971 View Post
Not to mention that a lot of the OG crew have gotten older, started families, changed interests/vehicles,
Pretty much this.

Interlagos Blue 06 BMW M5
White 95 Cobra 347 Stroker 355 rwhp 378 rwtq
Grey 2012 Armada Platinum (wife)
post #23 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx View Post
And Ed Hardy is a name here, even though it says my name is Eric right under the user name.
Uh, what?

'89 LX Coupe
'01 Lightning

'06 TBSS
post #24 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM

It's not just this board that's dying. there's one constant.. they all dwindle down after a certain group takes over.

You can make excuses all you want that its the people changing their lives but its not a coincidence that this place started dying right after the take over.

Just sayin'

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

Last edited by Ordie; 06-18-2013 at 10:39 PM.
post #25 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Not enough frames to go around.

Skip
post #26 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
I think it is a generational issue. Like many others, I first found the site in 1996. I'm a baby boomer and as the years went by, other priorities took over. I had to sell all my toys back in 2002 and didn't have the opportunity to get back into the game until 2012. Now fast forward almost 20 years from when I first posted, and you have gone through gen x to gen y who are much different animals. My kids don't have the time to post on a board and wait a day or two for a response. This kind of media is dinosaur technology in the age of instagram, vine, facebook, facetime, etc. All these youngsters want instant gratification and answers real time. That and they are not as communal/group oriented. It is all about me. There is really no sense of needing to belong to a community or website. It is how many friends on FB they have, how many followers on twitter they have.

When this site was started, there was no google, facebook, Ipads, Iphone or satellite radio. This site was cutting edge.Face it ya bunch of old geezers, sites like this are becoming the horse and buggy of the modern world. I'm ok with that. Us fossils can still come here and reminisce about the good old days when pushrods ruled.

Last edited by mikestang; 06-18-2013 at 11:14 PM.
post #27 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM

I'm 40, with family, career, 50+ hr weeks, cleaning up the last of the big bills, and preparing for University tuition(s) for the kids, trying to stay ahead of taxes, fuel prices, job insecurity etc.. etc.. etmfc.

Sound familiar?

A local kid came to my door two Septembers ago selling magazine subscriptions to raise money for his school. I looked through the options and saw MM+FF - I hadn't had a subscription since the 90's so I bought one. When the first one arrived, I couldn't believe how light it was - gone were the glorious issues 275 pages strong packed full of awesome cars and projects that I had remembered. The simple cheap fast foxes had been replaced by expensive, complicated project vehicles. I think you know where I'm going with this:

To me, my love of Mustangs is dying the further Ford strays from the Fox philosophy of building fast pony cars. I know they could never sell a car like that today, but it remains such that the elements which attracted me (and hoards of others) to the FOX, no longer exist in the Mustang of today. The current crop of GT's are great to buy, and not modify...

I'm still a car guy, but my automotive desires are changing with the demands of my life, and the limitations of my wallet. There has got to be a lot more guys like me who are looking for things a modern Mustang can't provide, and who are experiencing life with the pedal to the floor on many fronts.

I actually have only one Mustang left, an '84GT, which is now just a bare uni body with interior - thoroughly parted out and likely will be scrapped out this summer. It was a high comp. nitrous motor with a 250 shot, and was legislated off the road before I had even got to drive it due to smog regs, and formation of a smog "police" that could fine your ass back into the stone-age for missing equipment. Probably will be the last would-be DD 5.0 fox I will ever own...

Believe it or not - the next DD car project I would probably attempt if any, would look very similar to a Turbo'd D series EG/K Civic with a goal of 50mpg hwy, and 300whp. I wonder if Honda-Tech is slowing down or picking up?
post #28 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM

I haven't had a mustang in about 7 years. I couldn't remember my username from then but I used to be on here a lot, starting around 2002 or so. Now I'm getting back into mustangs after being gone WAYYYY too long and it seems like ALL the forums are like this. The local one I'm on used to be real active with cruises an shows, now it's just another forum. I just bought a 96 GT after having 4 foxes so I have questions about the SN-95 and modular setups, but everyone acts like you're wasting their time, saying things like "use google" or " the search button is your friend", but my computer is dead, so I have to use my phone, and the search function isn't the greatest. I remember having to answer the same IAC questions to new fox users, over and over again, but I was happy to do it to because if you're an ass to new guys, you're perpetuating the cycle of "a**hole mustang owners". I'm learning as much as I can about these modulars do I can eventually help others. These sites are getting too complacent and having too many pompous people. Sorry for the rant, but even though this is a new "username", Ive been on this site for awhile and hate seeing sites like this, Stangnet, and some others go down the toilet.

1989 Mustang GT

Last edited by Caboose302; 06-18-2013 at 11:35 PM.
post #29 of 100 Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Seasoned User

Trader Feedback: (97)
I belief its due to the fact that Corral is more centered towards Foxbodys....My opinion. This is also the reason I love the Corral hope it stays alive.
post #30 of 100 Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Uh, what?
Im NOT Ed. Whatever... ED
Someone just created a local FB that is much busier than here. But just as many young, dumb people that wont listen to advice

post #31 of 100 Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Blame Canada!!!!!! I FAP for CANADA!

Trader Feedback: (44)
Quote:
Someone just created a local FB that is much busier than here. But just as many young, dumb people that wont listen to advice
That's why I love young kids! Fun to watch them fail when they don't listen to what you told them.

Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada loves me this I know, Cause the "Don" tells me so! Tumbleweeds we sell all day long, Ghost towns are coming so stay strong!
post #32 of 100 Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Havent been on for a long time. Was on here at least once a day before things changed a while back, now get on here maybe once a month or so. Yellowbullet is my main forum i go to now.
post #33 of 100 Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 PM

I still check this place daily but it sure isn't the fun it used to be.
post #34 of 100 Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Relax dude. I wasn't sure about who you were referring to.

'89 LX Coupe
'01 Lightning

'06 TBSS
post #35 of 100 Old 06-21-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapperDan View Post
That's why I love young kids! Fun to watch them fail when they don't listen to what you told them.
Local kid bought a turbo car and has busted it twice. He wont listen and Im waiting on him to sell it cheap as a roller.
Quote:
Relax dude. I wasn't sure about who you were referring to.
I was joking
How many people on here think your name is Ed and that I cant spell sweet? LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement