Can I use electric wire and electric rope together - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Can I use electric wire and electric rope together

I was wondering if I can use the electric metal wire in conjunction with the electric rope? What I want to do is on the side facing the house, i want to use electric rope for that 100-200 ft that I am going to run it for the side and also I want to use the rope for the front that's facing the highway. I want to also use the electric rope for the division of the pasture. I will have it divided so that while the horse eats down one side, the other can be growing.

As for the back side of the fence and the other side, I would like to use the regular electric fence and wondering if the 2 can be tied together? I have never put up the fence before but my dad and probably uncle will help. I havent ran it by them yet and actually just thought of it today as I am going to make the pasture larger than originally planned. I want the electric rope on the most visible side which is near the house and the highway cause it looks better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Is this an electrical question, or a farming one?

68 Coupe - Discs, 8.8, built 302, yada yada
'00 lifted Cherokee, DD
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagee View Post
Is this an electrical question, or a farming one?
really
post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
...uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK-Merc-MM View Post
Me, I have a little respect for the Nazi soldiers and what they did for their country and how well they did things
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeleton View Post
...uh...
eh
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
where in charleston are you just out of curiosity?

what size energizer box are you using? they normally have a limit on how much wire length can be added to them before you barely feel a tingle way at the other end.

also are you using the same gauge rope as you are wire? does the spool mention the ohm rating /1000' for each?

In the end though you "could" rig it to work but the wire is usually used with earth ground type boxes and the rope/tape is used with internal ground type boxes.

the wire will have a ground rod going to earth while the positive/negative leads on the rope tie back into each other and then into the terminals on the box.

I personally prefer the older wire type as my grandfather has several of those boxes and I'm used to working with them though.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz88 View Post
where in charleston are you just out of curiosity?

what size energizer box are you using? they normally have a limit on how much wire length can be added to them before you barely feel a tingle way at the other end.

also are you using the same gauge rope as you are wire? does the spool mention the ohm rating /1000' for each?

In the end though you "could" rig it to work but the wire is usually used with earth ground type boxes and the rope/tape is used with internal ground type boxes.

the wire will have a ground rod going to earth while the positive/negative leads on the rope tie back into each other and then into the terminals on the box.

I personally prefer the older wire type as my grandfather has several of those boxes and I'm used to working with them though.
i actually live in moncks corner but say charleston cause most people have heard of charleston lol. Actually havent bought anything yet so i guess i will make sure i match everything up right when I buy with help of the guys at the TSC if they know what they talking bout lol. You know anyone has any nice paint horses for sale?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
nope. I know there's a couple stables on johns island but outside of that nothing.

which TSC? the one in summerville is close to my parents and they seem to be pretty good with the stuff they carry.

personally, I'd say just rig it up with rope the entire way. only reason I still deal with the bare wire is because of my stubborn ole gramps.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz88 View Post
nope. I know there's a couple stables on johns island but outside of that nothing.

which TSC? the one in summerville is close to my parents and they seem to be pretty good with the stuff they carry.

personally, I'd say just rig it up with rope the entire way. only reason I still deal with the bare wire is because of my stubborn ole gramps.
yeah the one in summerville. The rope is 50 bucks for 686 feet and I am going 2 strand and a 1x4 around the top for most of it. I will probably get 2 rolls of the poly wire but will surely not want to have to get 4 rolls lol. I really only want the pretty poly wire on the side closest to the house and the front visible from the highway. The rest I don't mind being with the aluminum wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement