2011 GT = Daytona Pace Car. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (25)
2011 GT = Daytona Pace Car.

2011 MUSTANG GT ANNOUNCED AS DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR; FIRST FORD TO PACE DAYTONA IN 40 YEARS

Ford Racing: Team Ford Racing News

(click for larger picture)
Yet another example of “worst kept internet secrets”, Ford announced yesterday that the 5.0 Liter 2011 Ford Mustang GT will be the official pace car of this year’s Daytona 500 on February 14th. This news was released by Barrett-Jackson auctions a couple of weeks ago

when they posted the pace car as one of the the items up for bids in this week’s auction extravaganza (”Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Auction”) in Scottsdale, Arizona. Ford is allowing the actual 412 HP Mustang GT pace car to be auctioned off PRIOR to it’s use in the Daytona 500. Any amount over the MSRP of the car will be donated to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation for researching in curing childhood diabetes. Racing legend Richard Petty will be on hand to help auction off the car, and I’m sure the winner will be able to score Petty’s signature somewhere inside, which would only serve to increase it’s value.

All of this was made known when Barrett-Jackson released their catalog of auctions online, even though the info on this Ford was pulled later on that evening. However, as might be expected, in the official Ford announcement, there are several other nuggets of info that I found quite interesting.

Actual car pictured here... light bar not included in auction!

There will be 50 Daytona 500 Pace cars made, each will be available for sale through selected Ford Dealers, with the one actually used in the race being sold at auction later this week. So get down to your Ford dealership NOW to see about ordering your own!

The Pace cars will all be painted in “Racing Red” with the Daytona 500 stripes and logo. They will all be normally aspirated GT models (no superchargers or any other power enhancements) have the Glassback roof option as well as custom “Daytona 500″ lit door sill plates. Also included will be Ford Racing suspension and other goodies like strut tower brace, Ford Racing exhaust and mufflers, and the GT Brembo brake package and tire package.

IF YOU’RE ATTENDING THE 52 ANNUAL DAYTONA 500 THIS FEBRUARY, BE SURE TO STOP IN AT OUR DELAND FLORIDA LOCATION! ONLY 10 MINUTES OR SO AWAY FROM DAYTONA!

There are more great tidbits to be found in the official press release. I’m including it below:

2011 FORD MUSTANG GT NAMED DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR; FIRST FORD TO PACE DAYTONA 500 IN 40 YEARS

* The new 2011 Mustang GT, powered by the all-new 412-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8, will serve as the pace car for this year’s Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 14.

* This will mark the first time in 40 years that a Ford has served as the pace car for ‘The Great American Race,’ with the last time being in 1970 when a Ford Torino GT convertible did the honors. It is Mustang’s first time as pace car for the Daytona 500.

* Fifty special pace car editions of the 2011 Mustang GT will be built and sold to the public.

* The actual Race Red Mustang will be auctioned at the 39th Annual Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Auction on Jan. 23, with the help of Richard Petty, the newest member of the Ford Racing family.

1970 Ford Torino GT Convertible

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 19, 2010 – For the first time ever, American’s favorite muscle car will pace ‘The Great American Race.’
For the first time in 40 years, a Ford Motor Company car will be pacing the field for the NASCAR season-opening Daytona 500 when the 2011 Mustang GT, powered by the all-new 5.0-liter V-8 engine, officially starts the race on Feb. 14 at Daytona International Speedway.

“Having the opportunity to pace America’s biggest auto race with a Ford icon like the 2011 Mustang GT is truly an honor,” said Jamie Allison, director, Ford North America Motorsports. “And to have the new 5.0-liter engine powering the car will be a great way to demonstrate its power and class-leading fuel economy.”

This latest version of Ford’s legendary muscle car will be a Race Red glass roof coupe with an all-new 5.0-liter V-8 engine capable of producing 412 horsepower, while delivering a class-leading 25 mpg on the highway.
The one-of-a-kind model will feature a special Daytona 500 paint scheme, Ford Racing suspension, strut tower brace and mufflers, unique painted wheels, and special interior treatment, including specially branded lit sill plates. The 2011 Mustang GT Daytona 500 Pace Car model is one of only 50 special editions that will be built and sold to the public.

“Everybody loves Mustang,” Allison continued. “That was evident last year from the fan reaction when we announced it was going to be our new model in the NASCAR Nationwide Series starting later this year. This is just another way to showcase a true American icon in its most natural environment.”

The last time a Ford served as pace car for the Daytona 500 was 1970 when a Ford Torino GT convertible led the field to the green flag.
And while Mustang may be a rookie when it comes to pacing the Daytona 500, its 45-year history is firmly entrenched in racing and winning championships.

Mustang captured championships last year in the Grand-Am KONI and SCCA SPEED World Challenge, in addition to leading Robert Hight to his first NHRA Funny Car championship.

Another element that makes this year’s pace car even more unique is that it will be auctioned off for charity before the actual race. Later this week (Jan. 23), the Mustang GT Daytona 500 Pace Car will be offered at the annual Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Auction, which is taking place in Scottsdale, Ariz. Seven-time Daytona 500 champion Richard Petty, the newest member of the Ford Racing family, will be on site to help hand over the car to the winning bidder.

All proceeds over the manufacturer’s suggested retail price from the pace car auction will go to help cure childhood diabetes through a donation to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

About the 2011 Mustang GT

The new Mustang GT continues Ford’s powertrain offensive with an all-new 5.0-liter V-8, which uses advanced technology to deliver 412 horsepower and projected unsurpassed highway mileage of 25 mpg.

The 2011, Mustang GT adds specially tuned Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS), 11.5-inch front and 11.8-inch rear vented disc brakes, and an enhanced suspension featuring an improved rear lower control arm and stiffened rear stabilizer bushings.

For enthusiasts, a Brembo brake package, with larger rotors and calipers from the Ford Shelby GT500® Mustang, unique 19-inch wheels and summer performance tires, is offered; new fender badges herald return of the 5.0-liter engine.

About Ford North America Motorsports

Ford North America Motorsports, based in Dearborn, Mich., is responsible for major racing operations in North America, including NASCAR (Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, Camping World Trucks), Grand American sports car racing, NHRA drag racing, Rally America and the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup.

The department also oversees the development and marketing of Ford Racing Engines and Performance Parts, the outreach programs with all Ford Clubs and Ford enthusiasts, and the marketing of the Ford Racing brand through initiatives such as Team Ford Racing. For more information regarding Ford Racing’s activities, please visit Ford Racing: Home.

They say what goes up must come down but I ain't reached my cruising altitude.
Take a look at what I did but can you imagine what I'm about to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
That car will be worth a bundle someday.

05' Crown Vic Sport, loaded, bought 3/09 with 8k miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
The zip tie thread reminded me to go out and fix the wiring for fuel pump that got ripped off hitting snow drifts and was fixed with speaker wire torn out of the door to get it home.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Top photo looks like the 5.0 badge is missing.
2nd pic shows it tho.....???

About time a Stang paced the D-500 !

83 T-Bird 460...83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0...87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Saphire Blue GT 5.0 (auto) IHRA Pure Stocker
95 Saphire Blue GT 5 speed
post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I'll have some first hand pic's for you guys once I get back from Daytona!!!! I'm gonna have to stop by Deland ford too

91 lx w/ a couple of bolt on's, s-trim and 464 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
That's right, I prefer Jeep (not the gay new ones), John Deere, and the United States Constitution. You can put that in your bong and smoke it.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Looks awesome! I really like the Red White Blue stripe.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 PM

Sweet! That will be nice to see. Maybe there is hope for NASCAR after all.

Eric - 88gt, 96gt, 04gt.. all sold!
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - Catless and tuned at 18psi.. It's gone too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL Gamertag - Sasiki
post #7 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-88T-Bird Guy View Post
Top photo looks like the 5.0 badge is missing.
2nd pic shows it tho.....???

About time a Stang paced the D-500 !
First pic also doesn't show the light bar, and second does. I think the first was chopped.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
I don't care if the guy worked his way to driver by interning as an unpaid taintlicker in the local gay rodeo locker room before getting promoted to sucking dicks on a New Orleans loading dock for $2 an hour
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 19, 2010 – For the first time ever, American’s favorite muscle car will pace ‘The Great American Race.’
More evidence of the GM bias of the powers that be in NASCAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK-Merc-MM View Post
Me, I have a little respect for the Nazi soldiers and what they did for their country and how well they did things
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELB Racing View Post
First pic also doesn't show the light bar, and second does. I think the first was chopped.
I think they might have just been taken at different times.

If you look at the front splitter.. the lower picture the bottom of it is red with the red/white/blue stripes, the top one is all black.

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 AM

Stripes also fade on the door in the first pic, no fog lights in first pic but extra lights in grill, different emblems on the grill, ground is blurry in one side of first pic and stagnet on the other. A lot of differences....

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
I don't care if the guy worked his way to driver by interning as an unpaid taintlicker in the local gay rodeo locker room before getting promoted to sucking dicks on a New Orleans loading dock for $2 an hour
post #11 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT89Mustang View Post
That car will be worth a bundle someday.
Ron Pratte bought it for 300 grand. (Proceeds went to charity).

1989 Mustang GT - T5 swap, 90k km.
1941 Ford Truck - AFR headed 347, Toploader.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 AM

I think the first one is a rendering. The second is the actual car

Mike
13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited , 03 HD Road King, 03 F250 PSD, 97 Cobra, 82 GT, 65 Mustang.
Xbox 360 - SinisterSnake97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
More elite than Ralph is now. Put THAT in your sig.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Anyone know the font on the letters? Someone tried to peel off one of them from my buddies pace car and now we need a new "R"...

Or does anyone recognize the font??

post #14 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Garage
kwel looking stang !
post #15 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
U.S. Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)
The second pic makes it look much better.

Annoy a Liberal: Work Hard and Be Happy.
A vote for a Demoncrat is a vote for terror.
Outback, Vulcan, Mustang, Impreza, Power Wagon, Freestar
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
post #16 of 16 Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
Anyone know the font on the letters? Someone tried to peel off one of them from my buddies pace car and now we need a new "R"... Or does anyone recognize the font??
Looks pretty simple to fix / reproduce. I'd either find out who did them originally, since it's only been about a year, or find a local sign place to make a new one.

No need to know the font. Just pattern it from the other side of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement