Ford Mustang Forums banner

Exhaust ?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  backinblk 
#1 ·
it seems im about to get into a 99 lightning. Im curious about the exhaust setup factory on the truck. I was kind of surprised to see how expensive they are (magnaflow/borla/bassani). I was considering just welding in tips and mufflers to get some "noise" added to the blower whine. Is the factory exhaust a single mufflers, where the midpipe goes into a single in, dual out design, and each exhaust tip is on a seperate pipe?

thanks
tim

#3 ·
mac is like a curse word for cars...no offense, but i've never liked 1 of their products...it either fits poor or the finish is awful and if your a cobra guy, ruins engines. i prefer to weld in a quality muffler and tips, then give them 1 dollar of my $

#4 ·
I didn't like the look or sound of the MAC catback...the best sounding mufflers I've heard personally for the L have been the dual muffler setups. The single mufflers just didn't do it for me....ended up with a Bassani BX catback which I love. For the most part the exhaust is pretty efficient on the lightnings...not many gains to be had...but you can defenitely improve on the sound. The stock muffler is a single dual in dual out I think. Check out lightningrodder.com they have tons of sound clips and vids.

#5 ·
I test drove a 01 Lightning with the Magnaflow 4" round race muffler. I have heard all the other brands but the 4" round race mufflers is the best sounding exhaust system I have ever heard on a Lightning. The Lightning also had LT headers. Just my 2 cents.
I saw the exhaust system on rpmoutlet.com and razoredgemotorsports.com for about $575.

Later,

Dawg

#6 ·
Niether the Mac or flowmaster kit sounds good? I was think the flow master kit would be alright. If i had a lightning though I would definetly go with a kit that could give me true dual exhaust but with an H pipe.

#9 ·
There's pretty much zero horspower to be gained with exhaust on a stock-ish truck. Even the magazines were admitting that their installs were seeing ZERO horsepower increases.

With all of the research I have done, I am highly skeptical of claims of two tenths with a cat-back.

Of course, there's always sound improvement, but almost all of the exhaust setups I have heard havebeen excessively loud.

Steve

#12 ·
backinblk said:
my 03 went from running 13.93 stock to 13.75 with the flowmaster cat-back and that was on a 90 degree day.
So you changed the exhaust at the track?

A lot of 03s are running 13.70s or a little quicker bone stock. Are you sure you just didnt get a better 60' or something?

Not trying to flame, you're reporting about .2 more improvement than anyone else I have seen.

Steve

#13 ·
You dont gain anything but sound from a cat back. If you want some gains then you have to do Long Tubes and high flow cats with x pipe and then catback. Even then you wont really gain much for the money unless your truck is pretty hopped up. Best bang for the buck on a stock truck is chip, filter, and pulley.

#15 ·
exhaust

LXguy said:
So you changed the exhaust at the track?

A lot of 03s are running 13.70s or a little quicker bone stock. Are you sure you just didnt get a better 60' or something?

Not trying to flame, you're reporting about .2 more improvement than anyone else I have seen.

Steve
yes i did change the exhaust at the track and did pick up 2 tenths and it was on a hot day, the truck know runs in the twelves, i have a muffler shop in town and sell bassani and flowmaster, i know that exhaust helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.