Fluidyne Radiator? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fluidyne Radiator?

Does Fluidyne make a radiator for my 1998 Cobra (p/n ???) and where would be a good mail order place to get it from?

Another question, would the Steeda UltraCool Radiator be a better choice? I can get one of those for $369 from Steeda.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 04:53 PM

Not sure which one, but try this link for some part numbers: http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_hpdomestics.html

Edit: I think it's this one: FHP20-97MU. Not sure so please check.

post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 05:48 PM

that is the correct part number if you have a stick. got mine ordered from Summit ($420) but they are back ordered for a few more weeks.

both the steeda and fluidyne are bolt in replacements. fluidyne is all brazed aluminum (no epoxy joints). thats why i went with their's.

-Drew
00GT a-s/c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew00GTsc
that is the correct part number if you have a stick. got mine ordered from Summit ($420) but they are back ordered for a few more weeks.

both the steeda and fluidyne are bolt in replacements. fluidyne is all brazed aluminum (no epoxy joints). thats why i went with their's.
I see you are s/c so I'll pose another question for you...

I am planning to get my blower put in next week (before the Summit backorder would be over). I do not want to wait to have it put in just for the radiator, and I think I'll be OK as far as heat until then. I believe the radiator install is pretty easily done, but will it still be straightforward after the blower goes on, or is it something I would be best served to install along with the blower???

Last edited by Pull_T; 05-14-2002 at 06:15 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 06:02 PM

beats me. sorry I cant help. I have had the blower on for almost 2 yrs. just doing the radiator now. i think it would be easier to do it all at the same time but then again i wouldnt wait...

you have to drain a gallon or so to do the blower install (at least vortechs). for the radiator, you will have to drain the whole thing. the radiator should drop right in witht he blower in place. some of the tubing will have to be removed but that is pretty easy.

if you are talking about an ATI or another with an a-a intercooler, i would wait. that is going to be a pain.

-Drew
00GT a-s/c
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew00GTsc
beats me. sorry I cant help. I have had the blower on for almost 2 yrs. just doing the radiator now. i think it would be easier to do it all at the same time but then again i wouldnt wait...

you have to drain a gallon or so to do the blower install (at least vortechs). for the radiator, you will have to drain the whole thing. the radiator should drop right in witht he blower in place. some of the tubing will have to be removed but that is pretty easy.

if you are talking about an ATI or another with an a-a intercooler, i would wait. that is going to be a pain.
No, it's an aftercooled S-Trim. I was thinking along your lines, that it would be a bit easier, but I'm not waiting until mid June for the blower.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 06:59 PM

happy huffing...

-Drew
00GT a-s/c
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 08:58 PM

I'm quite happy with my Fluidyne. Its actually quite a show-piece. All nice and shiny. Instal should be easy with either unit. Unless you have intercooler tubing like mine. Good luck.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 10:37 PM

I'm sure the Fluidyne is just as well made, but I opted for the Steeda radiator when I installed mine. I think Steeda was running a special at the time and I bought it for $379. It was mostly a convenience choice for me (living close to Steeda I just picked it up). I think either way, you'll be happy. Since you have a 98, you weren't faced with the cooling issues we were with the 96 model. I know my car ran considerably cooler after swapping the radiators.

The only other point I would like to make is that you may run into the same problem as I regarding the Vortech. Because the aftermarket radiator (about double the thickness) extends further out than the stock unit, I had a problem with the fan shroud (which mounts on the rear of the radiator) binding up against the tube which feeds into the blower. We removed the thick rubber mounting gaskets supporting the posts at the base of the radiator (to lower the unit a little). Then, with a little muscle and after cutting a small portion of one of the brackets, we managed to make everything fit. If you are interested, I'd be happy to snap a picture of the area I'm referring to (and email it to you).

Good luck,
Brian

1996 Mystic Cobra, Vortech SQ-V2, Stock Pulley, Diamond Pistons 11.5cc, Eagle Rods, Federal Mogul Bearings, ARP Studs, Total Seal Rings, FMS High Volume Oil Pump, Windage Tray, FMU 6:1, T-Rex, Walbro 255 Intank, Adj FPR, Autometer Boost, FP guages & Shift Light, FMS HD Pressure Plate, Centerforce Clutch, Custom DiabloSport Tune, BBK Long Tubes w/ o/r H, Flowmaster Two Chambers, Aluminum Radiator, Triax, FMS 4.10, Subframes, Sport Springs, Nitto DR

294 rwhp / 279 rwtq (SAE) N/A
409 rwhp / 363 rwtq (SAE) w/ 7 lbs.

2003 Lightning (Sonic Blue) - stock, JDM 2" shackles
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 11:46 PM

Id take those pics.

[email protected]

-Drew
00GT a-s/c
post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MystCobra965
If you are interested, I'd be happy to snap a picture of the area I'm referring to (and email it to you).
[email protected]

I'd be interested in those brian...thanks...
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 08:05 AM

I don't have a Cobra, but I don't think a radiator install on a SC'd car is a drop in. I had to remove the inlet tubing, loosen the blower to get it out of the way, remove the battery (and tray). That finally gave me enough room to jimmy the new radiator in. Like MystCobra965, I had to trim the upper radiator bracket to clear the blower inlet tubing.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 08:20 AM

Pull & Drew,

You've got mail!

Brian

1996 Mystic Cobra, Vortech SQ-V2, Stock Pulley, Diamond Pistons 11.5cc, Eagle Rods, Federal Mogul Bearings, ARP Studs, Total Seal Rings, FMS High Volume Oil Pump, Windage Tray, FMU 6:1, T-Rex, Walbro 255 Intank, Adj FPR, Autometer Boost, FP guages & Shift Light, FMS HD Pressure Plate, Centerforce Clutch, Custom DiabloSport Tune, BBK Long Tubes w/ o/r H, Flowmaster Two Chambers, Aluminum Radiator, Triax, FMS 4.10, Subframes, Sport Springs, Nitto DR

294 rwhp / 279 rwtq (SAE) N/A
409 rwhp / 363 rwtq (SAE) w/ 7 lbs.

2003 Lightning (Sonic Blue) - stock, JDM 2" shackles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement