C-clip eliminators...Any negative side effects? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Question C-clip eliminators...Any negative side effects?

I'll be building a rear end for my car soon, including an Eaton or FMS 31 spline posi, 31 spline axles, and 4.10s. My car sees street and plenty of strip use (on DR's). I'm also going to start auto-x'ing as soon as I get my rear done (reason for not buying a locker and running 'big boy' tires).

Should I buy C-clip eliminators to install also? If I should buy C-clip elims, are there any side effects that come with the elims? Will I still be able to tAkE Da TwIStiez, y0, or are these designed for drag only use?

Thanks corral,
-Patrick

'98 Mustang GT -- Novi'd & Usually Needs FixT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ford F150 sCrew -- Mall Crawler, Family Hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 01:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
From what I've been told C clip eliminators are not meant for road race duty. This is from Rob Moser at Moser Engineering. Basically the bearings used in the eliminators don't like side loads like from taking hard corners and will eventually fail. The alternative I've been told is having 9" housing ends welded onto an 8.8 would be able to handle the side load and would allow you to elminate the c clips in the differential.

Bill

1994 Mustang LS Swap - 11.40 @ 117.88 / 9.85 @ 134.74 nitrous / 8.73 @ 157.13 PT88
2004 Mach 1-P1SC (11.93 @ 120.54, 468RWHP/417RWTQ) - SOLD
2000 GT 2V NA (11.97 @ 113.20 w/1.56 60ft, 285.3RWHP/296.3RWTQ) - SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang92
From what I've been told C clip eliminators are not meant for road race duty. This is from Rob Moser at Moser Engineering. Basically the bearings used in the eliminators don't like side loads like from taking hard corners and will eventually fail. The alternative I've been told is having 9" housing ends welded onto an 8.8 would be able to handle the side load and would allow you to elminate the c clips in the differential.
Bill
As far as what I've heard, if you use the 9" housing ends it is the perfect solution except you loose your rear ABS, since the ABS exciter-thingy-of-a-ma-bobs don't fit on.

John Slagel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forged internals,intercooled Novi [email protected],523 rwhp, best time [email protected]

- pretty much stock

- My Kenne-Bell site/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 02:48 PM

Yep, c-clip eliminators will leak if used on the street.

You could probably come up with some other way to make the ABS work with 9" ends.

2016 GT, Perf/Prem, ruby red.
99 Cobra ebony, blk int. #1762/4040
86GT, 88LX 5.0, 95GT
ctfren ch @ iClo ud. n e t (remove spaces)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 02:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by lo pony
Yep, c-clip eliminators will leak if used on the street.
Not true. If they are sealed properly they will not leak. I went through the issues of leakage on the street because I drive my car every day. Initial leaking was due to the shop doing a poor job using silicone on the passenger side. This was easily fixed. Then the other leak that I encountered was through the bearing itself. After some research I found out that if you use a 87-93 type rear end seal, notch it and press it into the house this will fix all leaking problems.

Since installing the seals on my car the rear end has been completely dry. I've put 8K miles on the car including a 1300 mile trip to and from Georiga and a trip from Texas to Florida as well.

The problem with the C clip elminators in road racing is the side load on the bearing. The bearing can't handle the side load and will cause failures. The 9" housing bearings can handle the side load that is why they are better. Adding 9" housing ends isn't exactly a simple job. The rear end has to be pulled and put in a jig to keep the rear end straight while putting the new ends on.

Bill

1994 Mustang LS Swap - 11.40 @ 117.88 / 9.85 @ 134.74 nitrous / 8.73 @ 157.13 PT88
2004 Mach 1-P1SC (11.93 @ 120.54, 468RWHP/417RWTQ) - SOLD
2000 GT 2V NA (11.97 @ 113.20 w/1.56 60ft, 285.3RWHP/296.3RWTQ) - SOLD
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
US Air Force Active Duty

Garage
Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for (and thought would be true).

I'll be attempting the install myself, and it's the first time I've done a gear install. I feel confident that I can do it, but I don't think I'll be welding any 9" housing ends onto my rear anytime soon. So, I'll just keep the C-clips and break them so I can be mad at myself.

BTW, if I break this thing, I'm going to give up trying to auto-x and buy a locker.

-Pat

'98 Mustang GT -- Novi'd & Usually Needs FixT
Ford F150 sCrew -- Mall Crawler, Family Hauler

Last edited by Patrick98GT; 05-14-2002 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement