To CAI or Not to CAI..That is my ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
To CAI or Not to CAI..That is my ?

Ok, just got done installing my first mod on my 97 GT .
That being a K and N airfilter with removed air silencer. I had thoughts of getting a densecharger but I have heard from some that think just having the K and N in the stock airbox will produce nearly the same HP as say a densecharger or other CAI. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 11:11 AM

Personally, i dont think it'll make any difference..i dont know exactly what a densecharger is(its been a while since i've done anything with stangs) i'm guessing its the same a the MAC CAI. The 2 HP or so difference isn't enough to matter on the street. Also, if you live where it rains/floods sometimes, DONT get the CAI...its easy to suck water up into your motor. It happened to me, but ins. got me a new one.
Just my opinion.
John

post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 11:27 AM

I picked up roughly .05 and 1mph in the 1/4 mile with the full Densecharger kit. That is over and above a K+N in the stock airbox. So that equates to roughly 5-7hp at the flywheel.

I recommend the Densecharger kit but it's not the best place to start if you want more power.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 11:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have the DC and I like it. However this is a topic of great debate. Some say it is worth while and others that don't have them, knock them for this or that. The DC setup will stay as cool as the stock tubing, but it is a much less restrictive path for the air to flow through.

BTW, put your silencer back on! There have been dyno results that show a gain in HP with the hood open, but once you close the hood, the hole where the silencer goes now sucks in tons of hot air. Enough that it loses about 3rwhp on the dyno.

Also keep in mind that while the DC setup may not yield great gains by itself, it will add to the whole package down the road.

88 LX 5.0 Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement