Power adder cars with automatics (R470W) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Power adder cars with automatics (R470W)

I'm just wondering what some of the stall converter sizes folks are running? I have a PI Stallion 3100 lockup and wondering if I've gone too high or too low?

Any opinions?

This is a weekend car only and I haven't even driven it with the automatic yet but anxiously awaiting some parts. So, I have no idea how it will shift and how the TC locks up, etc.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

C'mon...... someone, anyone, everyone..........

post #3 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 09:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have a 2800 Pi Stallion in mine. When I was n/a I could hook nice with Nitto Drag radials, but when I put the roots charger on it blows these Nittos off like nobodies bizness. If you are going to stay N/a I think you would want at least 3000 stall speed as a minimum.

1993 Cobra
2004 Mach AB Cammed and nitrous
2008 Gt stock
1983 Mustang L 351 w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Depends

That 3100 stall might stall at 3100 for your car, but it will change with power output. Like if it stalled at 3100 for a 250 rwhp car, it will stall somewhere like 3400-3500 for a car with 350 rwhp, etc. If I were you I would run it as-is. With PI, you get one free stall speed change anyways, so you might as well try it out. If you don't like it, you can always cash in on that stall speed change. Just remember to keep your receipt!

-Nate
'98 Cobra Coupe
post #5 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 10:56 PM

HP doesn't change stall speed...torque does. And it's 4R70W not R470W

I suggest drilling your seperator plate like suggested in Jerry's thesis in the technical articles on www.tccoa.com.

I run a 4K stall 9.5" converter.

Sebastian

Last edited by Sebastian; 05-11-2002 at 11:16 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebastian
HP doesn't change stall speed...torque does. And it's 4R70W not R470W

I suggest drilling your seperator plate like suggested in Jerry's thesis in the technical articles on www.tccoa.com.

I run a 4K stall 9.5" converter.

Sebastian
Sebastian,
Thank you for the info, however, ..... do you think 3100 is good enough for me? I did not see a list of your mods so I have no idea what your combination is. Oops .. keep saying R470W when it's 4R70W My fault... < boink >
post #7 of 15 Old 05-11-2002, 11:47 PM

I would step up the stall a little bit. I have a blown 99GT motor with bullitt intake in my Thunderbird....keep in mind my car is a little heavier so it needed some more stall. I've never driven a blown auto stang. How does the car feel? Do you think it could use some more? You can always pay to lower the stall later ;-) I also have a special calibration in my EEC which gets rid of the mushy feeling on everyday driving.

Sebastian "Seabass"
post #8 of 15 Old 05-12-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Sebastian,
I have no idea how it drives to be honest. After blowing it up in February, I decided to change a lot of things and one of them was swapping from T-45 to 4RW70 tranny. Then the list kept on growing as I'm sure you understand ---- mods mods mods. Decided to ditch all the stock suspension and hopefully lose some weight off the heavy beast. So then the tubular k member, tubular a arms, coilovers, new shocks/struts. Then swapped rims (went from 17 x 9 cobra r's to Welds 3.5 skinnies / 26 x 11.5 ET streets). Unfortunately for me, I didn't have an engine then and could do all of that stuff. I now have a transplant to do (swapping to 2000 GT engine) and will see how it goes.

So I guess I can try out this 3100 stall and see what happens and if I like it or not. My fear is to have far too much stall and go down the beltway tacking too high. I have the trans-go shift kit on this tranny and the stall, that's it for now.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it
post #9 of 15 Old 05-12-2002, 04:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Bad:

I had a 2800 in my N/A 4.6L and dropped .4 in the 1/4 mile with it. I decided to put a 3200 in my new stang since they clearly like to rev a lot higher (better heads, cams, etc.) and I can tell you the difference was incredible. I'm not sure if you remember him but Paul99GT had a 2600 with his Vortec setup in his auto and said he couldn't get traction to save his life. Jim V. on the other hand runs the same stall as myself and has no problems with his 560+ HP combo car. I have heard, however; that if you get above 4200 then problems will start occuring so don't go too high. John Edwards is running a 4000 in his N/A auto and has been putting down some great times so I would say its all in what you want to do. IMO, being that I've had 2 converters with 2 different stall speeds, stick with what you have N/A and blown and you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you run slicks or some Nitto/BFG drag radials.

Jonathan
2000 Performance Red GT Auto to 5spd/Old Car: 96 Metallic Green Auto GT
  • Fordchip Tuned Dyno #'s:407.6 RWHP 386.5 TQ with car seriously de-tuned for "bottom-end" reasons.
  • Go-fast mods:Steeda Hood and Wing, Saleen side scoops & front bumper, Stalker sideskirts, FMS "C" Springs 1 Coil cut in the rear, Nitto 555R's(front) & Drag Radials(rear)
  • Blower Mods:Vortech JT-Trim, 3.60 RR Pulley (8 psi) 42 lb inj, Lightning 90mm MAF, no powerpipe.
  • Tranny & Drivetrain:Tremec TKO 5-speed, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Steeda adj quadrant clutch cable, Spec Stage III clutch, Spec Aluminum Flywheel, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, 4.10 FRPP gears
  • Intake & Air:Bullit Intake with a K&N & Pro MAF 77mm (removed), Cold-Air Ind. using a Densecharger
  • Misc & Engine:Steeda UnderDrive Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster set back to 10, 180 thermo, Autolite TR764 Coppers, EEC Tuner (Removed) now using Autologic Chip (*ALL REMOVED FOR BLOWER*
  • Exhaust:MAC 2.5" Inch Catback with 3.5" Chrome Tips, MAC Longtubes & MAC Off-Hpipe (grins everytime I start the car)

----------Old Auto Tranny Setup---------
    TransGO, then PA transbrake valvebody, 3200 lockup Art Carr converter, SVO tranny cooler.

-Special Thanks to David Posea, White99GT (Bill), Cobra Killer (Tim), Jason at Higgins Ford Performance Racing, and Shawn Sullivan.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-12-2002, 04:44 AM

Also:

I noticed you said you have a TransGO installed, what year tranny is that? If it is a 99-02 GT auto tranny get a new valve body and save yourself a ton of hassle later on like myself and many, many others that fried theirs. The TransGO kits clearly have a problem on the newer style transmissions and cause either slight tranny failure or in my case, fried the entire thing. My car was down 2 months because of that stupid kit! I had one in my 96 GT installed by the same people and had 0 problems. Do some research on google, stangnet, and corral and you will see exacly what I am talking about.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-12-2002, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rancid
Also:

I noticed you said you have a TransGO installed, what year tranny is that? If it is a 99-02 GT auto tranny get a new valve body and save yourself a ton of hassle later on like myself and many, many others that fried theirs. The TransGO kits clearly have a problem on the newer style transmissions and cause either slight tranny failure or in my case, fried the entire thing. My car was down 2 months because of that stupid kit! I had one in my 96 GT installed by the same people and had 0 problems. Do some research on google, stangnet, and corral and you will see exacly what I am talking about.
Rancid,
The tranny is from 96-98 car thanks for all the help!!!!
post #12 of 15 Old 05-12-2002, 04:47 AM

bump for a good guy and to show off my new sig

Jonathan
2000 Performance Red GT Auto to 5spd/Old Car: 96 Metallic Green Auto GT
  • Fordchip Tuned Dyno #'s:407.6 RWHP 386.5 TQ with car seriously de-tuned for "bottom-end" reasons.
  • Go-fast mods:Steeda Hood and Wing, Saleen side scoops & front bumper, Stalker sideskirts, FMS "C" Springs 1 Coil cut in the rear, Nitto 555R's(front) & Drag Radials(rear)
  • Blower Mods:Vortech JT-Trim, 3.60 RR Pulley (8 psi) 42 lb inj, Lightning 90mm MAF, no powerpipe.
  • Tranny & Drivetrain:Tremec TKO 5-speed, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Steeda adj quadrant clutch cable, Spec Stage III clutch, Spec Aluminum Flywheel, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, 4.10 FRPP gears
  • Intake & Air:Bullit Intake with a K&N & Pro MAF 77mm (removed), Cold-Air Ind. using a Densecharger
  • Misc & Engine:Steeda UnderDrive Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster set back to 10, 180 thermo, Autolite TR764 Coppers, EEC Tuner (Removed) now using Autologic Chip (*ALL REMOVED FOR BLOWER*
  • Exhaust:MAC 2.5" Inch Catback with 3.5" Chrome Tips, MAC Longtubes & MAC Off-Hpipe (grins everytime I start the car)

----------Old Auto Tranny Setup---------
    TransGO, then PA transbrake valvebody, 3200 lockup Art Carr converter, SVO tranny cooler.

-Special Thanks to David Posea, White99GT (Bill), Cobra Killer (Tim), Jason at Higgins Ford Performance Racing, and Shawn Sullivan.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-13-2002, 11:04 AM

Unless he changed it, 1Badazz does not have a transgo. (He's running my tranny ) He has the Jerry mods set for high HP. TC stall speed will not change your highway rpm in gear.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-13-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GTCONV
Unless he changed it, 1Badazz does not have a transgo. (He's running my tranny ) He has the Jerry mods set for high HP. TC stall speed will not change your highway rpm in gear.
Yea... to what 96GTCONV said! LOL... I'm not sure where I got the trans-go idea from... < boink, one thing to remove from signature hehehehe >.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-13-2002, 02:15 PM

I think you'd like it a bit looser. I picked up about a half second when I went from 2800 to 4000. My lead sled seems to do OK with a converter that loose.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebastian
Then Dave King waves his wee wee around and everyone follows in hypnosis.

and Dave King "saying so" isn't fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement