2003 Cobra/Mods/Warranty??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-2002, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
2003 Cobra/Mods/Warranty???

Has anyone else had a conversation with their service manager or warranty appraiser about the '03 Cobra and mods? I've read numerous posts regarding modding the '03 Cobra to make it competitive with typical centrifugal blown Cobras and am curious as to what other other warranty information some of you guys may have gotten.

What I got from the warranty appraiser who handles warranty claims at the dealership where my '03 is on order was that mods that directly affect boost or a/f (e.g. chips/MAF meters/smaller pulleys) are immediate grounds for powertrain warranty claims (primarily internal engine problems) to be denied. He even mentioned that an aftermarket filter may cause problems due to oiled filters being known to contaminate the MAF meter sensor, causing a lean condition. Strangely enough, he seemed okay with high flow exhaust through stock manifolds, but not any type of headers.

I was surprised at how knowledgeable the appraiser was about mods and Mustangs. Also, he said that powertain warranty claims for the '03 Cobra will not be handled by the dealership, but rather by the district/regional warranty claim appraisers. So, it seems that shopping dealers for 'mod' friendly dealers wouldn't be an option.

Does this seem more like scare tactics than reality??

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-09-2002, 11:41 PM

im guessing if you even have the wrong pressure in your tires your warranty is VOIDED!!... im keeping this one simple...not like my 98 ..

post #3 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 03:02 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Re: 2003 Cobra/Mods/Warranty???

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown46Cobra
He even mentioned that an aftermarket filter may cause problems due to oiled filters being known to contaminate the MAF meter sensor, causing a lean condition.
Take him to the parts counter and ask why they sell and install them if they are so damaging. Ford has a blue version of the oiled filter, probably made by K&N but I don't know for sure.

I think he's trying to scare you, but you might ask the Lightning folks what they've had to do about warranty work.

-Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1-866-693-4441
Paxton, ATI, Maximum Motorsports, SPEC Clutches, AJE, JBA, C&L and more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I think it's gonna be a dealer thing.. Right now you have your good dealers and your bad dealers.

If it's a good place with people you know, you can get away with little things that shouldn't void your warranty in the first place. However, there are dealers that void it for anything little.

It's a toss up, and judging by how strict they are with the 99 and 01's, I don't see them getting any better about the 03.

Shawn

2004 Comp Orange Cobra Vert
1995 Cobra R
2003 Shamu Harley Davidson F150

"Run what you brung & hope you've brung enough"
post #5 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 01:05 PM

Blown46....Actually what your warranty appraiser said re Ford's position re warranty work on the 03's sound reasonable to me. If I were the manufacturer, that would be my position also. Any mods affecting the drivetrain or A/F would be grounds for voided warranty. How can anyone make a product, allow midifications to it, and still warranty that product?

Probably the reason they don't worry much about changing out the catback, is because it's downstream of the real restrictions, therefore doesn't really add power to change it out, or affect A/F that much. There have been reported problems from oiled filters, and is the reason my Pro M has a non oiled K&N looka a like. FRPP does sell the oiled filters, but they are parts for racing, and Ford views that differently. (racing voids warranties automatically)

My opinion is if you want your 03 Cobra to be covered by warranty, better leave it alone. Or mod it, and just accept the consequences. It's not like going in you don't know this. Good luck with your cars everyone.

Ralph Greene
post #6 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 03:57 PM

Hey I thought you were keeping the 97? Did you change your mind due to all the HP/tq number rumors or do you just want to drive one?

2002 YZF-R1 12:00 Wheelies
1999 Cobra

AFS Cobra Rs Front 17x9 on 255/45 Back 17x10.5 on 285/40 R17's.

Tweecer RT
DS clutch peddle lowering device
Steeda Triax.
Kenny Brown Sports package
Bilstein Shocks\Struts (Cobra R)
K&N airfilter.
FRPP aluminum drive shaft (4602-J)
SPEC stage II clutch
Alumimum fly wheel
Steeda Tri-ax
Novi 1000 (not currently on the car)
13.51 @ 103.2 mph N/A

New Mods
2001 Head/Block due to water damage ---- (engine died 1 month later, oil pump failed)

1999 Long block from Ford now installed. (putting blower back on in about 6 months)
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 03:58 PM

Lightbulb Unless...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
Blown46....Actually what your warranty appraiser said re Ford's position re warranty work on the 03's sound reasonable to me. If I were the manufacturer, that would be my position also. Any mods affecting the drivetrain or A/F would be grounds for voided warranty. How can anyone make a product, allow midifications to it, and still warranty that product?
The can do it because federal law says they HAVE to do it. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is very explicit. If you have a warranty claim and the dealer wants to deny it based on modifications, the dealer must PROVE the mod caused the failure. Not assume, not show it *might* have caused it. They have to PROVE it.

Dealers try very hard to skirt this law, because it is not dealership-friendly. It's designed to protect consumers, not auto vendors. If a dealer denies your claim because you have modded your car, and does not show you evidence to support this position, simply say "You are in violation of federal law under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act." Then tell him/her that you are going to call the Federal Trade Commision to discuss prosecution options.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 04:11 PM

What about those on this board that got their warranty voided because they "drove their car too hard." Ford shows commericals with guys tearing up the roads in their Mustangs, and then void warranties because we do the same. Sounds crappy to me.

~Eric
post #9 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 04:54 PM

MRMorden...I'm trying to figure out how to say this best. Whenever an 03 Cobra owner goes into his dealership with 1. Internal engine problems, 2. internal transmission problems, or 3. rubber in the fender wells ; and that same car has different intake aftermarket parts, different size pulley on supercharger, aftermarket shifter, lower rear gears which multiply stress to the drive train, modified exhaust which might include headers, OR H or X pipe (illegal under Fereral law), with aftermarket chip or some other alteration to the stock computer settings (because he will need different tune to run above mods), quoting the Magnuson Moss warranty act ain't going to help much.

There is no dispute the dealer has to prove the mods caused the problem. But that won't be difficult to prove with HP improving mods like I mention above. (except maybe shifter)

Ralph Greene

Last edited by Ralph Greene; 05-10-2002 at 04:59 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by austinTX
Hey I thought you were keeping the 97? Did you change your mind due to all the HP/tq number rumors or do you just want to drive one?
No way I'm selling the 97 for an '03 Cobra. Maybe an '04 Cobra, though I just ordered the '03 so that I can take it for the test drive to see what it's like. The sales person already has a secondary buyer lined up for it.

I just can't see spending $38K on a 20+ year old chassis/infrastructure, knowing that the all new Stang is just around the corner. If the C/D article on the '04 is even 80% accurate on the details of the '04, that's going to be a great car and likely not much more cash than an '03.

The pre-production '03 HP/TQ numbers would be excellent NA numbers. But, IMHO, they’re just okay for a blown car, particularly for $38K out the door. Compare HP numbers between shift points of the '03 and and a nearly stock centrifugal blown pre-03 DOHC and you'll see what I mean. About a 50 average rwhp deficit for the '03 between shift points. Seem like the '03 will be a great car for stoplight races against NA cars, but not much of a contest with anything else that has a blower. It may give some Z06’s a run for their money. Once you get your Novi back on, you’ll have fun playing with 03’s just like they’ll have fun playing with NA Stangs.

The recent C/D article stated that Ford re-profiled the '03 cams for maximum low-rpm torque...why in the world would they do that??? In the graph that onerichrunner posted, the torque profile of the torque curve looked almost identical to a NA Cobra, just shifted up a bit. Why not build an engine, optimizing power where it's going to be driven by those who are buying it for performance. The cams probable are giving up 20-30 rwhp in the typical usable power band to give low end power to the person who thinks that the engine should be shifted at 5K rpm.

Oh well, I really shouldn't complain...at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, the ’04 gets Mustangs into modern times.

Last edited by Blown46Cobra; 05-11-2002 at 09:17 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown46Cobra

No way I'm selling the 97 for an '03 Cobra. Maybe an '04 Cobra, though I just ordered the '03 so that I can take it for the test drive to see what it's like. The sales person already has a secondary buyer lined up for it.

I just can't see spending $38K on a 20+ year old chassis/infrastructure, knowing that the all new Stang is just around the corner. If the C/D article on the '04 is even 80% accurate on the details of the '04, that's going to be a great car and likely not much more cash than an '03.

The pre-production '03 HP/TQ numbers would be excellent NA numbers. But, IMHO, they’re just okay for a blown car, particularly for $38K out the door. Compare HP numbers between shift points of the '03 and and a nearly stock centrifugal blown pre-03 DOHC and you'll see what I mean. About a 50 average rwhp deficit for the '03 between shift points. Seem like the '03 will be a great car for stoplight races against NA cars, but not much of a contest with anything else that has a blower. I may give some Z06’s a run for their money. Once you get your Novi back on, you’ll have fun playing with 03’s just like they’ll have fun playing with NA Stangs.

The recent C/D article stated that Ford re-profiled the '03 cams for maximum low-rpm torque...why in the world would they do that??? In the graph that onerichrunner posted, the torque profile of the torque curve looked almost identical to a NA Cobra, just shifted up a bit. Why not build an engine, optimizing power where it's going to be driven by those who are buying it for performance. The cams probable are giving up 20-30 rwhp in the typical usable power band to give low end power to the person who thinks that the engine should be shifted at 5K rpm.

Oh well, I really shouldn't complain...at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, the ’04 gets Mustangs into modern times.
I agree 100% with you. I do hope the 04's are better!!!- SOmething to look forward to.

sg
post #12 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 08:57 PM

TIRES

What do you think ford would say if you drove the car in with Drag Radials?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: TIRES

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Jeske
What do you think ford would say if you drove the car in with Drag Radials?

IMHO if those were your only mods, and the car showed no signs of racing, I think you would be fine. If you had a trans or drive train problem, they could say the extra traction of the DR's caused it, but I imagine the "call" would depend on their visual inspection on the condition of your car (looking for rubber from burnouts) . For that car, DR's make a lot of sense for all around use. Again MHO

Ralph Greene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement