Hypertech vs. Chip - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2002, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hypertech vs. Chip

What are the differences between the two. Are there somethings that can be done with a chip that a Hypertech programmer can't do or vise versa. Is one a better choice then the other. I don't understand why someone would pay to get a chip and then pay everytime they want it reburnt when they could just plug in a Hypertech and change thing in the EEC. I know I am missing something here so i am writing to get a better understaning. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2002, 04:44 PM

Quite simply put, a chip can alter far more than one of Hypertech's power programmers can.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-10-2002, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply,
so what can a chip alter vs. a Hypertech. What can the chip also do that a hypertech can't. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2002, 10:23 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Hypertech. For what it is, it's a decent product. Basically it allows you to adjust timing, transmission (automatic), rev limiters, and speedometers. The beauty of a chip is that it can be used to do those things, but it's able to do them with far greater detail. For example: Alot of cars with large injectors tend to flood while starting due to the huge amounts of fuel coming in. What a chip can do is cut back on the fuel during cranking to aleviate that problem. What I'm getting at is when you start doing mods to a car, you're going to have to set the tune outside of factory parameters, wether it's carbed or EFI. Think of the chip as allowing you to do the equivalent of changing the jets and or accelerator pump cam. Gives you alot of ways to fix quirky problems that come along when you start making modifications.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2002, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, i think i get it now. the hypertech just makes +/- changes to the computer where as the chip can reprogram the factory computer in many different ways with more accuracy.

Would the hypertech be a better purchase then for common adjustments for like timing and speedometer since you are only purchasing one product rather then buying a Steeda T/A and Speedcal, ect. Is there a reason why everone buys these individual products. thanks again
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2002, 02:34 PM

Here's my story. When I put in 3.73 gears I got a SpeedCal. When I got to the strip my car would not reach redline in third gear. The problem was the car was hitting a speed limiter. So I had to have a chip to fix this problem. The SpeedCal later caused the speedometer not to work so it had to be removed. Thankfully the chip took care of the speedometer issue. Also the chip has three different programs all of which advance the timing. So that saved me from buying a timing adjuster. I wish I just would have got the chip in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement