Magnaflow X-Pipe Installed...I have a Slight Leak...Need Advice - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2002, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Magnaflow X-Pipe Installed...I have a Slight Leak...Need Advice

I had my dealership install the X-pipe today and it sounds AWSOME...whoever said this combo does not work with Flowmaster 2 Chambers has not really heard it...

Anyway, I have a slight leak on the drivers side flange. The pipe is actually too large for the flange, and air is escaping.

My installer says that it will seal itself in a day or two after the pipe goes through a few heat/cool cycles. If it does not, he says that he will grind some off the edge that is causing the problem, and it will be all good.

My question is, is it likely that it will seal?

Also, should I let him gring some, or send the pipe back to the distrubutor. I am new to the h-pipe deal...

I put in a new Ford gasket on the pass. side and all is well there.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
~Darren

MR MCF
The Millennium Horse:

2000 DaSilva Prepped Vortech'd GT
366rwhp --- 363rwtq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

No one here has ever had an exhaust leak?
A lil' help please gents.
~Darren

post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2002, 09:54 PM
Corral Elite Member

SilverStallion:

A driver's side leak is kind of uncommon -- most of us have a tough time with the passenger's side (new gasket or not). For the +99 models, isn't there a bell-shaped insert that is supposed to go inside the driver's side pipe?? (Maybe I read that about the VRS pipe? I'm old so pardon my faulty RAM).

Well, I don't think that leak is going to self-seal but I'm not an auto tech. Before you grind anything, I'd call MagnaFlow and ask why it is leaking (their design and build quality is great) because it should not be leaking. Also, I would try good old "Permatex Copper high temp silicone sealer" on the joint. The pipe has to come off enough so you can slather some sealer on the manifold and pipe surfaces.

Good luck and let us know what happens, please.

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2002, 10:14 PM

There was an adapter (like described by nyuk98gt) with my VRS X pipe for the driver side for use with the stock manifold. Otherwise, I think you need to pull out the stock studs (with the spacers) and replace them with ones like the passenger side or aftermarket ones. Check posts titled with the words "install" and "pipe"...should get you what you need.

Black '00 GT
Comp Orange Boss
Kona Blue '11 GT 401A - Brembo - 3.73s
Gone: Silver '03 Cobra 'vert, 2000 GT 'vert
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2002, 11:42 PM

very uncommon, usually the pass. side is hard to get quiet. It is a ball and socket flange(no gasket). And I don't think heat cycles will make it go away. I think it will get worse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement