Headswap done,? for ignition experts - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Headswap done,? for ignition experts

Well people it is finally done. What a royal PITA it was too. It took me about seven days with having to work, parts breaking, having to pull stuff back off etc., etc. The car sounds awesome. Many thanks to DTA /Shannan Wheeler, The heads are worth the wait. Dave Maxwell(Crane)/ The Raven, my cams really do sound good for a mild grind. Randy Stinchcomb for some of his Tech advice. Last but not least and really the most important Laura and Chuck. Now for the question, I have 42's with the Paxton and the car acts like its not getting enough spark? I talked to a local tech and he said it was the fact I was running stock ignition. By defintion: The car runs fine at idle or normal driving load, but when you go to step on it it does'nt want to go. It does'nt skip or anything but acts like it does'nt have enough spark? I will be getting a tune but am unsure of the techs around here. I was looking to go to Lake Worth to get it done. Anything that can be done in the mean time?Thanks, R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2002, 04:09 PM

Yeah, bring the car by me, I will take it out for a drive, and make sure everything is broken, err, I mean working correctly.

Great job, glad everything worked out for ya.

joe

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2002, 07:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
get a KB boost-a-spark or the livewire coil packs and wires.

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2002, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

S&B, will that affect my tune? Can't this be worked out in the tune/chip? Is'nt the Kenne bell like $300? I really need to put this towards the tune, and anyhow this is'nt a simple bolton is it? Thanks again, R
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2002, 07:55 PM

you can usually find a boost-a-pump on the classifieds. you can use this as a boost-a-spark. or you can get the livewire coilpacks and wires which are supposed to be pretty hot....

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2002, 08:17 AM

If the swirl dams were removed from the heads, you need more advance. I doubt you are blowing out the spark below 5000 rpms. If that's really the problem, a boost a spark is a good fix. So is an MSD ignition.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

David,
I don't know about the swirl dams, Shannan did my headwork and worked the combustion chambers down(blower). Maybe the cams need to be broken in or something. I'm really not sure. Do you or anybody know if it would be beneficial to get the boost-a-spark? I'm getting a tune next week, hopefully and thought that it could addressed with the tune and the chip. Now if the boost-a-pump is overkill with the tune then I'd like to save the $300 or so bills for something else. As of right now I'm having problems with my cooling system and I'm stumped. If I can't get it fixed then no tune until it's solved. The car is running hot after it's ran a little while(30 minutes or more). Last night I had it out driving and the Rad. cap purged some water out? The temp is or appears to show the car running hotter than normal but is most likely associated with the two coolant sensors mounted to one port. I really have'nt checked the t-stat but will tomorrow. The heater hose underneath the intake may be a contributor. I had to fabricate a hose because the hose did'nt fit. Anyways, I'm sitting still for now. Thanks much, R
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2002, 09:06 PM

the temp sensor thing would cause overheating, but it might cause the eec to pull timing b/c it thinks the engine is hotter than it is. change the t-stat to a 180* one, and if your problem is still there, then it is the heater hose under the intake. did you have to mash one end of it? i would just buy the one for the 99+ cars and put it on there. get your heating issues taken care of first. then, at the tune, they can find out what is causing your symptoms. it isnt that expensive to ad those coil packs and wires. what are your plugs gapped at? if you have the stock coil packs then they should be at .035. good luck.

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I do have the 180 stat. I don't know about the hose I'm going to troubleshoot tomorrow 'cause I'm getting thoroughly miffed. I have Accel coil packs, motorsport wires and (I know, I know) Champion Coppers at .035. The Champs where the only thing at short notice, but intend to upgrade to NGK. The coolant thing has to be something pretty simple because it runs for a little while before she heats up.Thanks, R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement