tensioners 98 vs 2001 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
tensioners 98 vs 2001

After reading posts after posts and searching the forums I still can't figure out what went wrong with my headswap. I am convinced that it either was off timing initially and the valves were hitting the pistons the whole time or it jumped time.

I am looking at my tensioners and my two heads and there seems to be a slight difference. I used my stock 98 tensioners and was wondering if there is any differenace between the 98 and 2001 tensioners.

this is getting bad. I am doing nothing but tyr to figure out why/ how it could have jumped time after 55 miles and this is a bad time of year for shops and for a kid graduating school. I want to fix but am afraid to because I dont want to break again.

I have already decided to replace both chains. Now I am thinking about tensioners as well. let me know your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2002, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

anyone? Or is there any way to test a tensioner to see if it properly filled with oil?

post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2002, 03:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hmmm, I used my stock 96 tensioners when I did the head swap on my car with no problems. As far as I know the only real way to test if a tensioner is filled with oil would be to take it off, and when you squeeze it down the oil should push back out of it. Without knowing the whole story I could not even come up with a guess as to what happened either. Jumping timing could be the issue but you don't hear of it happening that often really. I do think sometimes the guides go bad was everything aligned when you put it back together?? Have you taken it apart yet to see if anything is obviously broken or in the wrong spot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the car is in peices. I didnt notice anything that was wrong except for the fact that the valves hit the pistons and the guides broke and bent the valves.

it ran great for 55 miles which it seems like if it was off time to begin with it would have worked
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2002, 11:13 AM

Red,

Was it the left (drivers) side by any chance? Were the chains tight when you removed the front cover or was there some slack? I have a theory.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2002, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

No, it was the passanger side. I had another problem on the drivers side. The cam wasnt getting oil to one of the lobes, got blocked somehow so it got all torn up have to replace the head and cam.

While I was setting them I was worried about the drivers side because it wasnt tight and the passanger side was. The chain was tight and everything when I took the cover off which makes me beleive that it was off to start with.

I have tested the tensioners the only way I know how and a lot of oil came out of them both so I dont know. The only thing I can think of is it being off to start. Just didnt think it would have lasted that long
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2002, 02:09 PM

Just a thought. I have noticed that even when using Ford cam positioners, you still have to 'adjust' the cam position by turning it just a tad to get it to line up with the correct chain link. Otherwise, you will be one link off. I don't know, just fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement