Car wont start! NEED HELP ASAP!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry Car wont start! NEED HELP ASAP!!!

OK I have searched the archives and cant find anyone who has had this problem. I will try and give every thinkable detail so be patient. Here is the history....

Had stereo stolen.
Next couple of days noticed car was little harder to start (may have been placibo ?)

I only drive car 2-3min to and from work.

The next weekend the car sat all weekend

Tried starting car on mon. morning and cranked but would not start. Got jumped and drove to work. I let it idle for @ least 15-20min w/ some 1500-2500rpm stints.

Got off of work after 9hrs of sitting and car cranked up and drove to work. Thought everything was ok.

Got up the next morning and did not even have a dome light. Charged battery for 24hrs @ 2amps. Tried starting the car and the PATS goes off and will not even attempt to crank. So I search the corral archives and found some similar problems. The only one that I thought pertained to me was a low battery. So I tested my battery and it was bad. So, @ this point I was happy. Well, I just bought a battery and the same thing is going on. I have checked the connectors and they are free from all corrosion. I get plenty of amps and all I get is the damn PATS. Then I have to cycle it 5-10times before it will quit.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2002, 08:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I would say that something to do with the stereo is draining the battery. Did you have a new one installed? Check to make sure whoever did the install did it right. It really depends on what kind of equipment you were running too. But for some reason it isnt turning off and it is running all the time.

Since you havent had this problem untill after the stereo being stolen. Just an idea, sorry not much help

post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2002, 09:30 PM

Well, when my PATS started acting up it was because of a bad chip. I cleaned up all of my contacts, bent the clips, etc, and it made no difference. I got a new chip and my car started perfectly again. I've also heard of PATS keys losing their programing. Have you tried a spare key by any chance?

Just throwing some ideas out there... Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2002, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

well, dont ask me why or how this worked but for the hell of it I found one of my old remote door lock opener. I have not used these for a year and a half. I locked the car w/ the remote, then unlocked the car w/ the remote and presto it cranked up.

What the hell does this have to do w/ the PATS? Its not an alarm nor is it a factory remote. Its just a cheap $60 remote door lock opener, that I had to buy because I lost the others.

O-Well it starts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-07-2002, 10:28 AM

I had this problem once. I just unhooked the battery and PATS reset. I don't think the door lock and PATS are connected, but I could be wrong. Once PATS is reset is should keep working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement